Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 06:36 AM

792 posts, read 496,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
Right, the percentage positive number is not 33% of a random cross selection of the population, it's 33% of the people who feel sick enough to show up and get a test done.
Yep. If you look at Clemson that is aggressively testing all staff and students you assume that 1/50 people (2%) have it at any time. So if you are in a room with 25 people there is a 50% chance one of them has it. Nearly 100% with 50 people.

https://www.clemson.edu/covid-19/testing/dashboard.html

Old 01-25-2021, 10:57 AM

17,591 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usesoap View Post
These COVID vaccine trials are a little different than other clinical trials for vaccines or drugs of various diseases of seriousness. Not all vaccine and/or drug trials receive emergency use authorization, which means that unnecessarily longer trials can delay beneficial treatments from entering the market and hurt those you are trying to help. It is not nearly as simple as you are making it out to be, I am not saying that we should rush through clinical trials, but how long to do long term safety follow-ups is completely dependent on the investigative treatment.

How was your participation in the trial? Do you have any suggestions for a clinical trial manager what could have made your experience a little better?

It's a double blind.. For the next hour at least.

The bad part of the trial was things that are going to happen. I literally am patient #2. The only reason I'm #2 is that another guy parked closer to the building than I did. We literally both got there at the same time.

But, it was the first day they started the trial, I was one of the first people. It was a cluster. They didn't know what they were doing, Moderna hadn't gotten everything setup on their side.. Very bumpy rollout.

I was there nearly 4 hours.

As time went on.. They got everything figured out and people were there about an hour and a half.

As for the EUA.. Well, we know it WILL get an EUA. So, they structure the trial that way. Drugs get more rigorous testing for use on kids.. So, again, it seems very odd that my trial was originally for 26 (I think) months.. and that the trial for the kids would only be for 12.

Old 01-25-2021, 03:37 PM

Well.. I had my appointment today for the unblinding.

As I've mentioned here.. I've been waffling on whether I got the vax or placebo. For the longest time, I suspected placebo simply because I had ZERO side effects. No sore arm, no fever, no chills, no aches/pains.. NOTHING.

But.. Lately.. I've remained well while everyone around me falls victim. 5 people at work out now with positive diags. I remain negative. 4 of them right beside me.

So.. I could make an argument for either way.. The truth is...

Spoiler
I got Placebo. Got the real thing today

Old 01-25-2021, 03:45 PM

896 posts, read 1,140,526 times
WOW!! I was sure you got the real thing. It is amazing you have stayed well among all your co-workers!
Congratulations on getting vaccinated. Thank you for sharing with us.

Old 01-26-2021, 01:11 PM

So.. Today.. No real side effects.. Arm is a tad sore.. Nothing outrageous.. Not even as bad as the tetnus booster I had a few months back. That's all. No fever, no chills.. I was a little tired last night.. Went to bed about an hour before normal, but I also didn't sleep as great as normal Sunday night before I was dosed, so, that's probably why I was tired.. Slept well.

So, only side effect so far is just a minor soreness at the injection site.

Old 01-27-2021, 04:22 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,759,950 times
Need to do this in every county to get the vaccine to all. ”Chick-fil-A manager lends drive-thru skills to COVID vaccine site in South Carolina.”

Read more here: https://www.thestate.com/news/state/...#storylink=cpy

Old 01-27-2021, 04:26 PM

Pain at injection site is almost gone. If I push on it, it's a little sore. That's it. so.. I'll report back after the second dose on Feb 22.

Old 01-27-2021, 04:39 PM

1,845 posts, read 2,764,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
But.. Lately.. I've remained well while everyone around me falls victim. 5 people at work out now with positive diags. I remain negative. 4 of them right beside me.
Interesting update ... did they do an antigen test to see if you had an infection with no symptoms?

Old 01-27-2021, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
Interesting update ... did they do an antigen test to see if you had an infection with no symptoms?

Every week I have to fill out an electronic diary, which is just an app on my phone.. Basically, Any major changes to your health and have you been exposed to someone with a positive test.

Every time I answered that last question yes.. Which has been 4 weeks in a row now.. I have to come in for a test.

I, personally, had the antibody test done back in May of 2020 on my own dime. Negative at the time.

They're always drawing blood at each visit. Now, I don't know exactly what they do with the blood, but i suspect that they do indeed test for evidence of antibodies. Not positive they would tell me, though.

So, is it possible I was asymptomatic? Yes.

Old 01-28-2021, 03:19 AM

896 posts, read 1,140,526 times
I just saw on the news where Prisma is doing walk up again at the Kmart Plaza location, no appointment necessary. I believe they are offering a few other sites too, but, they did not specify. I hope this helps someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area