Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 10:23 AM

300 posts, read 254,862 times

Advertisements

Sweet water Hills is an older sub par neighborhood in Moore. I know that neighborhood well because I used to cycle with someone that used to live there. Matter of fact one of the top Iron Men in the world lives in Sweetwater Hills and trains at the Middle Tyger Ymca. That is in Spartanburg County not near the City of Spartanburg. We live on the eastside of Spartanburg about fifteen miles from there. If you are serious about looking for a home in Spartanburg you need to get with a good eastside realtor. Have you been to Converse Heights, Fernwood, Andrews Farms, Hillbrook, Pierse Acres, Woodburn Rd., Montgomery Drive, Spartanburg Country Club, Lake Forest Drive, Carolina Country Club, and Duncan Park. Have you been to Boiling Springs, Woodfin Ridge, or Lake Bowen?

Last edited by nans123; 09-07-2021 at 10:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2021, 12:17 PM

158 posts, read 128,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nans123 View Post
Sweet water Hills is an older sub par neighborhood in Moore. I know that neighborhood well because I used to cycle with someone that used to live there. Matter of fact one of the top Iron Men in the world lives in Sweetwater Hills and trains at the Middle Tyger Ymca. That is in Spartanburg County not near the City of Spartanburg. We live on the eastside of Spartanburg about fifteen miles from there. If you are serious about looking for a home in Spartanburg you need to get with a good eastside realtor. Have you been to Converse Heights, Fernwood, Andrews Farms, Hillbrook, Pierse Acres, Woodburn Rd., Montgomery Drive, Spartanburg Country Club, Lake Forest Drive, Carolina Country Club, and Duncan Park. Have you been to Boiling Springs, Woodfin Ridge, or Lake Bowen?
No to most, but that's the exact feedback I've been looking for.

We've been to Boiling Springs, seemed a bit "sprawly" somewhat changing from the Dollar Store crowd to a more suburban Upper Middle Class feel but not there quite yet.

Seen a bit of Fernwood, liked that area.

Old 09-07-2021, 01:04 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
OP, I’m sorry I was nasty to you. We have moved twice to get away from the arrogance social climbers of DC and their McMansions. I love Spartanburg so much and the people are so nice, it worries me that it will change very fast the way Purcellville/Loudoun did. I dread the South Riding/Brambleton developments.

Please look at older neighborhoods and consider renovating. There are many to choose from per nans list. You’d also like Bagwell Farm and Oak Creek.

Best of luck

Last edited by LynchburgLover; 09-07-2021 at 01:25 PM..

Old 09-07-2021, 01:21 PM

601 posts, read 458,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
It strains the infrastructure . . . And not just roads. Schools, Fire/Rescue services, libraries, recreation facilities, social services, hospitals and on and on. Everything becomes an out-of-control spiral when every inch of open land becomes a construction site and then . . . the home prices and taxes soar hurting older, long-term and especially lower-income residents the most. It is especially pronounced when there is a large income gap and political views difference between the newcomers and the current residents.
Well of course one reason sprawl and rapid growth happens is that those older, long-term residents who are property owners receive life-changing amounts of money for their property. Blue collar rural landowners with a $50k agricultural parcel that is suddenly work $500k to a developer... People in formerly nothing-special lower middle class neighborhoods whose home values triple in a decade or two...

Things are precarious for lower-income renters certainly...

Old 09-07-2021, 02:05 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDWill1 View Post
Well of course one reason sprawl and rapid growth happens is that those older, long-term residents who are property owners receive life-changing amounts of money for their property. Blue collar rural landowners with a $50k agricultural parcel that is suddenly work $500k to a developer... People in formerly nothing-special lower middle class neighborhoods whose home values triple in a decade or two...

All true but there are many working class and retired homeowners in the cities and towns who don’t have land to sell to developers. They just watch their assessments and taxes soar, not benefiting much from the new people.

Then the resentment begins.

OP—you mentioned your wife is a teacher. While traffic is no where like NoVa, it is growing rapidly and there aren’t many alternatives. Since you’re working at home, buy close to her school.

Last edited by LynchburgLover; 09-07-2021 at 02:15 PM..

Old 09-07-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
OP, I’m sorry I was nasty to you. We have moved twice to get away from the arrogance social climbers of DC and their McMansions. I love Spartanburg so much and the people are so nice, it worries me that it will change very fast the way Purcellville/Loudoun did. I dread the South Riding/Brambleton developments.

Please look at older neighborhoods and consider renovating. There are many to choose from per nans list. You’d also like Bagwell Farm and Oak Creek.

Best of luck
No problem. I knew where you were coming from.

But the cycle won't change. People move to places they like and when enough do so, what they like is gone. But I would also take a step back and remember that most of the older, established, neighborhoods were once the "McMansions" of their day. The same type of development was happening in the 1950's and 60's all over the country. "The American Dream" was a real estate developer's catch phrase. Entire swaths of land were developed with the exact same house, not even a choice of elevation A or B (remember All in the Family's opening scene?) The big difference was that the person that bought the house in 1958 usually stayed put so they cared for it maybe a bit more. But they also worked the same job at the same factory or bank as well. Over the years these yards matured, the houses grew more familiar and accepted. But ask someone 5 blocks away, living in a 19th century Victorian and they'd probably sound pretty familiar.

As we know those days are gone. Nobody looks at a home with the idea of staying forever, they're looking for the new finishes, new appliances, the amenities in the neighborhood, all with the ideas that they'll be gone in 5-10 years.

Old 09-07-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewsonic1 View Post
OP is looking for Alpharetta....why not move there? 600k will go far there?
No the OP is not looking for Alpharetta. The OP is trying to establish where to look in GSP based on advice from current residents. The OP can and will check things like demographics, use the "where's the Whole Foods" theory, etc.

The OP used Alpharetta as an example of a suburb that retained some control over sprawl or at least ensure it met certain requirements that don't seem like much but make a difference.

The OP could have used a number of places but that seemed to be familiar to many and a similar style. Asking for "a neighborhood with the feel of Scottsdale" wouldn't make much sense.

Old 09-07-2021, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDWill1 View Post

Very good point. One would argue there are many affordable places left behind in the rust belt and north east exodus that low income renters could actually buy if there were jobs. Entire towns in Central PA and Upstate NY. Town after Midwest town sit pretty much empty.

Old 09-08-2021, 09:51 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,816,320 times
If your not set on Spartanburg, The Hartness in Greenville is very nice. Great location, similar to what has been mentioned by others.

https://hartnessliving.com/

Old 09-08-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
If your not set on Spartanburg, The Hartness in Greenville is very nice. Great location, similar to what has been mentioned by others.

https://hartnessliving.com/
Pretty sweet. Love the feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area