Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 01:36 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,376,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
I'm glad everybody has pride for the city of Greenville, but what about the state?
What do you mean?
Quote:
Soon Greenville will be unique just as every city is. But you'll be able to find a place like it in any other region.
That doesn't make much sense to me. Either a city is unique or it is not unique.
Quote:
Yet our unique region's natural diversity of being Southern will be diminished.
What is this "natural diversity of being Southern" you mentioned? Simply being "Southern" does not designate our region as being naturally diverse. Greenville is diverse because it is not only Southern but multicultural. One other thing I would like to point out is that being "unique" is not always a good thing. While I don't completely buy into all of this "diversity" talk, I also don't buy into the notion that we shouldn't welcome cultural diversity because we could lose our "uniqueness." If your life is consumed with desperately trying to hold onto Southern traditions like linguistic accents, your life sounds a bit shallow in my opinion.

Last edited by Skyliner; 08-07-2008 at 01:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 06:09 AM

835 posts, read 2,305,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
What do you mean? That doesn't make much sense to me. Either a city is unique or it is not unique. What is this "natural diversity of being Southern" you mentioned? Simply being "Southern" does not designate our region as being naturally diverse. Greenville is diverse because it is not only Southern but multicultural. One other thing I would like to point out is that being "unique" is not always a good thing. While I don't completely buy into all of this "diversity" talk, I also don't buy into the notion that we shouldn't welcome cultural diversity because we could lose our "uniqueness." If your life is consumed with desperately trying to hold onto Southern traditions like linguistic accents, your life sounds a bit shallow in my opinion.
I have heard a comedian say "once you get out of Atlanta you're in Georgia." I'm saying that no one city is identical. I'm also saying that Greenville will get to the point that you could find something similar to it in any other state. Everyone will be glad they're from Greenville but it will be so different from the rest of the state and no one will be proud to be from South Carolina.

Being unique isn't always good but what's wrong with Greenville being Southern? I never said we shouldn't welcome other cultures. Every region is naturally diverse. Not in a racial sense but in local born things. Do we really want the South to become just like the rest of the US?

Maybe you have no attachment to it...if wanting to preserve Southern culture for future generations to enjoy is shallow then I just stumped my toe at the bottom of the kiddie pool. Please don't call my life shallow, you don't even know me.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:35 AM

470 posts, read 595,342 times
G-Man, why do you say that?

Old 08-07-2008, 08:36 AM

1,941 posts, read 4,469,254 times
Quote:
I'm glad everybody has pride for the city of Greenville, but what about the state? Soon Greenville will be unique just as every city is. But you'll be able to find a place like it in any other region. Yet our unique region's natural diversity of being Southern will be diminished.
As with any kind of growth, the good parts will survive and the bad parts will be "weeded out." I feel the same way about the Southern character of the city. For me, the advantageous parts of being a Southern city revolve around friendly people who are welcoming and hospitable. I am referring to simple gestures like giving someone directions when they ask or holding a door for someone entering a building behind you.

As large as it has gotten, Atlanta still has elements that unmistakably make it a Southern city. What's to say that Greenville won't retain some of those elements as well?

Old 08-07-2008, 08:46 AM

1,941 posts, read 4,469,254 times
Quote:
Everyone will be glad they're from Greenville but it will be so different from the rest of the state and no one will be proud to be from South Carolina.
I'm not really proud to be from South Carolina as it is. I feel very little state pride, mostly because I don't feel that South Carolina brings much to the table on a state level. I do, however, have a lot of city pride because Greenville has become an outstanding metro area with little help from SC. I know I'm not alone in feeling like Greenville is already very different from the rest of the state - in a good way.

Quote:
Being unique isn't always good but what's wrong with Greenville being Southern? I never said we shouldn't welcome other cultures. Every region is naturally diverse. Not in a racial sense but in local born things. Do we really want the South to become just like the rest of the US?
As I said in my previous post, I do not think Greenville will lose its Southernness as it grows - at least not the parts I identify with being Southern. As Greenville grows, I hope that it will remain open-minded enough to embrace the good aspects of other regions of the country. The way to do that is to welcome non-Southerners with open arms, realizing that there are things we can learn from them (just as there are things they can learn from us). Isn't that the whole point of diversity?

Quote:
Maybe you have no attachment to it...if wanting to preserve Southern culture for future generations to enjoy is shallow then I just stumped my toe at the bottom of the kiddie pool. Please don't call my life shallow, you don't even know me.
To me, Southern culture isn't about Southern accents, sitting on the front porch drinking iced tea, or living your life in a slow, deliberate manner. It's about being respectful of others, enjoying life, and having the confidence to not feel threatened by that with which you aren't familiar. But maybe that's just me...

Old 08-07-2008, 12:47 PM

5,490 posts, read 8,320,612 times
Quote:
I have heard a comedian say "once you get out of Atlanta you're in Georgia." I'm saying that no one city is identical. I'm also saying that Greenville will get to the point that you could find something similar to it in any other state. Everyone will be glad they're from Greenville but it will be so different from the rest of the state and no one will be proud to be from South Carolina.

More than 50 percent of Georgia lives in Atlanta so I would say that Atlanta is Georgia. I don't care much about anything in rural Georgia as most of it is still very prejudice and stuck in the racist days. So give me Atlanta! Much of rural SC give our state that same look. I have to explain to people that all of SC isn't like that.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:34 PM

73 posts, read 236,268 times
yes I am moving to greenville in a month as a recent college grad from florida. it is almost embarrising saying that im moving to SC because everyone thinks of SC is a backward hick state. Im dont agree or disagree but I feel like Greenville is much different than the rest of the state

Old 08-07-2008, 06:39 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,370,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs3488 View Post
yes I am moving to greenville in a month as a recent college grad from florida. it is almost embarrising saying that im moving to SC because everyone thinks of SC is a backward hick state. Im dont agree or disagree but I feel like Greenville is much different than the rest of the state
Hey, besides Greenville, there's Charleston, Columbia and USC, Ft. Mill and the other suburbs of Charlote, Myrtle Beach, Georgetown, etc. There are many beautiful parts of SC and much to be proud of. It's not "just a hick state."

Old 08-07-2008, 07:30 PM

73 posts, read 236,268 times
I agree with that, but what I meant is that when I mention that I am moving to SC I can tell their reaction is....a forced smile and ohh thats good. Anyway they dont know what Greenville is like and I do and thats all that matters! :-)

Old 08-08-2008, 09:24 AM

617 posts, read 2,572,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs3488 View Post
Anyway they dont know what Greenville is like and I do and thats all that matters! :-)
Exactly. You'll have to invite them up for a visit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area