Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 12:48 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,858,461 times

Advertisements

I can think of several things.

Most mid sized cities do not have Whole Foods.

Most mid sized cities do not have Hyatt Regency (in fact Greenville's is the only one in the state).

Most mid sized cities do not have a Westin (they may have a Sheraton or Four Points, but not Westin). One of only two in state (the other being a beach resort).

Most mid sized cities do not have a Crown Plaza hotel (the only other SC Crown Plaza is a resort on Hilton Head).

An average mid sized city does not have an event like the US Pro. The top event for US Cycling (the cycling "superbowl").

The typical mid sized city is not headquarters to a worldwide brand (Michelin headquarters in Greenville).

The typical mid sized city is not part of the 35th largest television market in the US.

The typical mid sized city is not the headquarters for one of the top 40 banks in the US (South Financial).

I could go on and on......
Greenville is anything but an average, typical mid sized city. I've lived in Dallas, Atlanta, Pittsburgh to name a few.....Greenville holds it own with cities much larger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 01:11 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,782,966 times
Don't forget about Aloft hotel either. We're getting one of those in early 2010.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:24 PM

5,488 posts, read 8,318,595 times
Thats what I'm getting at. Since I haven't spent much time in other mid-sized cities I was just curious. Let see if we can think of anything else. I think we probably have some restaurant chains that most mid-sized cities don't have right? Like PF Chang's I mentioned earlier. What about Mimi's? Is it a chain?

Old 07-23-2008, 01:25 PM

4 posts, read 9,265 times
A waterfall in the middle of downtown

A tree lined Mainstreet with strolling crowds and an almost mediterranean ease and feeling

A large international population mostly from Europe

The perfect location, just a view minutes to the mountains, lakes, a view hours to the beach, big cities close by and in the middle between New York City and Miami

The extraordinary South Carolina Governor's School for the Arts & Humanities

An unique high school education system, offering additional education venues like the
- Fine Arts Center (for theatre, dance, visual arts, music, creative writing and filmmaking.)

Old 07-23-2008, 01:53 PM

617 posts, read 2,572,188 times
Yeah, the Fine Arts Center is very unique for any city no matter the size. I have had lots of friends go there and they all loved it and excelled greatly in their area of study. Not to mention the jazz guitar teacher, Steve Watson, started the jazz guitar program at the University of Southern Cal and has performed for tv shows, local shows, etc.

Also: When Ruth's Chris opens you can add that to the list. I've eaten at Ruth's Chris restaurants in Atlanta, Charlotte, Denver, Honolulu, and Boston. That's a great crowd to be with if you ask me!

-largest mall in the state (well, the last I heard it was)
-largest Best Buy in the Southeast
-unique, independent restaurants

Old 08-05-2008, 11:09 AM

Do all mid-sized cities have Amtrak? I know Augusta doesn't. Also didn't find Mimi's Cafe in any of the other mid-sized cities nearby.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:20 AM

353 posts, read 1,148,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransDomo View Post

An unique high school education system,

If my unique you mean sub par public education.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1v3rRat View Post
If my unique you mean sub par public education.
Actually Greenville County is ranked pretty good in public education I heard.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:44 AM

353 posts, read 1,148,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motonenterprises View Post
Actually Greenville County is ranked pretty good in public education I heard.

Case in point. Sorry for being so strick....

Old 08-05-2008, 12:53 PM

You have issues. If you don't like it here then leave. Why move somewhere and then complain, but do nothing about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area