Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 08:45 PM

48 posts, read 115,323 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

First post here. My wife recently lost her job. The job search is not going very well, so far. She is on Monster, Career Builder ect and she is just not getting anything.

I was wondering if anyone here could give me some advice or recent experiences on job hunting here in the Greenville area?

I suppose a bit of background would help here.

She is from the Cheorkee area of NC. She worked 18 years as a flight attendant for TWA and Atlantic Coast Airlines/Independence Air. 16 of that at the latter company. She does have a 4 year degree from UNCA.

When Indy Air went out of business in Jan '06 it took her about 3 1/2 months to find a job and that was as a bill collecter. Not her type of work. She is too nice for that.

She was later able to find a job as a front desk receptionist at a local company. They were very happy with here until last month when she developed a sever case of a bacterial pneumonia (we think) and missed a week and change of work. They let her go despite going into work a couple of those days sick trying to work. It was, as far as we can tell a one person decision (the owner) as her direct supervisor who had to let her go told her in so many words that it was BS. He is willing to write a letter of rec. for her.

So, anyway. Here is our problem. Neither of us are from here (Im from Colorado). I fly for a living. Our social network here is....well, zero. At her last job, she was kept very isolated from the rest of the business and as a result does not have very many, well, essential "business skills." Things like spreadsheet, quicken, excel ect. Seems that everyone wants those kind of skills.

My brother and father (dentist/orthodontist respectivly) think she would be fantastic in a front office position in a medical office. Now, they do keep all resumes brought into thier offices in a file but, they also use "headhunter" services to get candidates and tend to go with the headhunters when a position becomes available.

How do companies like BMW and Michelin get thier candidates for jobs? What about those two giant buildings that are opeining up just past the Whole Foods/Circuit City on Woodruff Road on that side road?

Yes. We are clueless.

Despite the overall negative reputation that Flight Attendants tend to have overall, she was very good. I say this not only as her husband but a person that worked with her and saw how she interacted with customers. She does have a great personality and very good personal skills. She was one FA who actually had passengers write in letters to the company about her great service/personality and attention to detail.

I suppose, to make a long story short. She is a good hire. Yes, i know. What husband would not say that about thier wife? Well, I know her work ethic and her organizational skills. Wife or not. She has a great work ethic but probably will require a bit of training for a strictly business envrionment other than just answering phones or serving drinks. Well, her jobs entailed much more that that but, we all know about perceptions.

So, im sure many of you or your spouses have been in similar situations. What did you folks do to find good work here in Greenville? Did you use a headhunter service? What advice could you give us? How were you able to gain a network to find jobs? Do you have anyother suggestions?

I guess, between the two of us, its just too many years in the airline industry and not enough in the real world. Believe me, the two are very different. Just kinda feel like our feet are spinning and we are hoping that we can find some solid ground somewhere to get a ball rolling for her new job.

Thanks for your thoughts. We moved here in Aug of 2002. I have loved it here. Next to Colorado, the best place in the states to live.

I am glad that i found this website. I actually got to read some threads about my hometown back in Colorado. That was kinda cool.

I hope I can be a positive contributer to the site in the future.

Again, thanks!

LGB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 03:44 AM

470 posts, read 595,578 times
One site you may want to try is indeed.com the site pulls job postings from many sites.
Most larger companies like BMW and Michelin use temp agencies like S.B. Phillips, Areotek, Chase Staffing, I can't remember the one BMW uses but there is a branch on or just off Pelham Rd. it may be MFG or something like that.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:01 AM

131 posts, read 696,662 times
Your wife is not alone. I also lost my job 4 weeks ago and I am struggling finding a new position as well. I have had such little success that I have applied to part time sales associates at Best buy, Dicks, Lowes, Home depot and I can't even get them to call me back and I have a college degree in business management/marketing. The job market just sucks right now. Tier one Solutions handles the hiring for BMW and Michelin. Tier one Solutions is a division of Mau staffing Solutions. They are the only ones that do the hiring so you have to get in touch with them. Good luck!

Old 09-18-2008, 08:01 AM

288 posts, read 949,411 times
Has your wife signed up for unemployment? If not, she should. There are also lots of great programs sponsored by the state (not affiliated with unemployment) that will provide training for her to get her business and software skills up to a higher level, if that is what she is interested in. A "One Stop" office is a good place to start. www.sconestop.org. There are several locations. They are really nice there. It is their mission to make people more marketable and get them back to work in a good job.

My entire company closed a few months ago, which is why I've found out about all this. Many of my coworkers qualified to take software classes for free, in order to make them more marketable. I'd also recommend the staffing agencies. If your area network is small, these can help get your foot in the door. They will also be a good place to start to find out what kind of job interests her and where she need to brush up/improve her skills. As far as I've seen, Career Builder and Monster are about useless. A career counselor told me that a company usually only posts there as a last attempt. Or to meet fair employment guidelines. They usually already have someone in mind for the position but have to advertise it to be "fair." Can't hurt to look or post there but don't pin all your hopes on it.

As a professional person with a degree, an advanced computer skill set and a great career history, I never thought I'd find myself at the unemployment office. But, that's the way it is these days. No job or person is "secure" any more. I wish your wife much luck. Looking for work is tough.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:02 AM

36 posts, read 122,774 times
quick post--i got my current job as temp-to-hire through godshall staffing. i spoke with karen over there. you might try that. you never know. people think temp agency and assume that they would never find anything permanent that way. i've posted stuff on careerbuilder as well and mostly got back commission-based sales positions, insurance, and opportunities from vague-sounding organizations that sounded like pyramid scheme stuff. i'm not into any of that.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:58 AM

48 posts, read 115,323 times
Thanks for the responses all. I will have her look into the suggestions made above. I appriciate your time and responses.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:07 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,797,602 times
Those two large buildings near Whole Foods Market is the new Carolina First headquarters. It's the largest bank in South Carolina. I would also check with Greenville Hospital System for a front office position. They are on a hiring spree right now.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:12 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,797,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSKier View Post
Your wife is not alone. I also lost my job 4 weeks ago and I am struggling finding a new position as well. I have had such little success that I have applied to part time sales associates at Best buy, Dicks, Lowes, Home depot and I can't even get them to call me back and I have a college degree in business management/marketing. The job market just sucks right now. Tier one Solutions handles the hiring for BMW and Michelin. Tier one Solutions is a division of Mau staffing Solutions. They are the only ones that do the hiring so you have to get in touch with them. Good luck!
The job market sucks depending on your skills. If you're an engineer living here, you'll be able to find a job fairly easily. What kind of business management/marketing? Retail?

Old 10-31-2008, 03:02 PM

5 posts, read 10,431 times
Default job

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBuffs View Post
Thanks for the responses all. I will have her look into the suggestions made above. I appriciate your time and responses.
Im from Louisiana and will be moving to south carolina before January. I don't have helpful info for you unfortunately. Maybe you can help me a little though. I see that I'm going to have a difficult time finding employment. Can you give me the name of the company your wife was terminated from? Maybe I'll have luck getting hired there. (Until I get sick that is. LOL)

Old 10-31-2008, 03:37 PM

765 posts, read 1,911,862 times
MAU is laying off 550 people so thats gonna make it even harder But one of these threads mentioned a plant opening up soon i think it was to bring about 200 jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area