Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2008, 01:37 AM

2 posts, read 2,611 times

Advertisements

Hi, found the forums here while looking for info about the area around Greenville, SC. My wife works for Heartland Payment Systems, who have an office in the area, and we're considering moving out there to get away from the Kentuckiana area and the various people that we can't stand that live here.

I found a lot of posts about crime and whatnot, most saying that it isn't that bad, that it depends on the area, etc... I'm just curious as to whether it's a good place for us. With my son starting school next August, and us wanting desperately to get out of the area in early January if at all possible, I'd just like to hear some current opinions.

The main place we're looking at (we're driving down to check it out this weekend, barring an act of God) is actually in Taylors, SC, in the western part of the city/town, sort of midway in a northwestern curve between Greer and Greenville. We just sort of instantly fell in love with this awesome $89k house, and being first-time homeowners, it just seems ideal- at least, as long as it's a relatively family-friendly area.

Thanks in advance for any and all help. I can't wait to check out the area- if it's anywhere as nice as the house appears to be, I expect we'll be moving ASAP!

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 07:56 AM

915 posts, read 2,428,046 times
It really depends on the specific area where you'll be living. I would recommend that you check out the following site, where you can map crime data around your new address, around schools, and pretty much anywhere in Greenville County: Greenville County, South Carolina GIS

In my personal opinion though, I have never doubted for one second that Greenville is an excellent place to raise a family. My wife and I have always said that.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:12 AM

2 posts, read 2,611 times
Cool, thanks. At this point we're just hoping we get the financing we'll need- we qualified for it a couple of years ago, but with the whole economy/real estate/banking fallout recently, who knows? Still, I can't wait to see the house this weekend, it really seems to be absolutely perfect, and for $89k- that's just unreal. There's no way we'd get that kind of deal around here.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:34 PM

915 posts, read 2,428,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chupacabra24 View Post
Cool, thanks. At this point we're just hoping we get the financing we'll need- we qualified for it a couple of years ago, but with the whole economy/real estate/banking fallout recently, who knows? Still, I can't wait to see the house this weekend, it really seems to be absolutely perfect, and for $89k- that's just unreal. There's no way we'd get that kind of deal around here.
Obviously I don't know you from a hole in the wall, but Greenville is still a rising market. Therefore, there aren't too many restrictions that banks are putting in place, other than the lack of subprime lending. Depending on where the house is, you may want to talk to your lender about a Rural Development loan. If the location of the home qualifies, you can actually still get 100% financing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area