Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 02:44 PM

3 posts, read 6,410 times

Advertisements

Forgot to mention in my earlier post that I am from Miami, my husband is from Connecticut, went to school in Boston and we are "mature adults" having lived all over the country and now in L.A... or Marina Del Rey to be more specific... and would still rather be in Greenville. Hope you don't let the posts of those who have had unfortunate experiences in the South create your impression for you. Our plan is to return to Greenville at the first opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 05:39 PM

58 posts, read 203,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exileinsc View Post
(Which brings up the question why did they do this? If their religion was really so superior to my own, I can assure you that I would be seeking them out, not vice-versa)
I am not sure why they do this...but I know what your talking about. I am a christian currently living in AZ but looking to move east. I think it is well intentioned. However...I think the best way to express our faith is by building relationships with people and loving people. God never forces people to believe nor did Jesus. If we can show people that having Christ in our lives makes a positive difference simply by Living our faith, I think more people would be interested and curious. Pushing it on people is a real turn off that we need to be careful about. Sometimes you just have to love people and trust that God will work in their lives.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:00 AM

9 posts, read 18,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendra9 View Post
Hi,

I'm considering moving from Boston to Greenville, SC due to job change. I'm concerned about ethnic diversity since I'm a minority. I'm also not very religious and fairly liberal. I realize there is a strong Christian community. I suppose I'm wondering how progressive the city is and if I'll find it difficult to fit in.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I just moved here about a month ago and im also the "minority" only 4 percent of us here. I wont lie everywhere i go i just get staired at hard. some folks here treat us like sh BUT NOT ALL.. oh yea they think every asian is chinese so ignorant!

Old 06-21-2010, 02:35 PM

180 posts, read 341,772 times
HI, if your still planning to move here, greenville is an awesome place to live, many shops,parks, and much more. the people are great and very friendly. i would recommend the five forks/phelam road area if you buying a house. What price range of house are you looking for if your going to move here?
-Miller

Old 01-19-2012, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,946 times
I'am thinking of moving to Greensville from Richmond, VA,but I have a few questions before I make that step how is the job market in the area and the housing market and how are the schools. From what I read on this site it seems that greensville is a good place to be I know greensville has it share of issues as does any other city. If someone give me any insight about the area and i mean a good honest opinion and not a sugar coated vesion.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:07 AM

3 posts, read 8,051 times
My husband and I are looking to relocate to the Greenville area. We are concerned about the job market. I am in the medical field and he has a construction background. Originally from the NE area but we have lived in Alabama for the last 5 years. We are in our upper 50's and trying to find a place to work for the next 10 years and then retire....Comments suggestions would be appreciated...

Old 07-15-2012, 11:44 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,326,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karrie14 View Post
My husband and I are looking to relocate to the Greenville area. We are concerned about the job market. I am in the medical field and he has a construction background. Originally from the NE area but we have lived in Alabama for the last 5 years. We are in our upper 50's and trying to find a place to work for the next 10 years and then retire....Comments suggestions would be appreciated...
Should be able to find jobs in both fields. Construction is going pretty strong right now here, and believe Greenville Hospital System is the largest in the state. You also have the St Francis Hospital System. Bon Secours. Do a search for jobs in this area. Lining up a job first is a great idea! I'm sure others will chime in.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:15 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karrie14 View Post
Whatever you do do not take a chance moving to Greenville without employment lined up first. Certainly not the easiest job market to find work in for most people.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:24 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,548,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Whatever you do do not take a chance moving to Greenville without employment lined up first. Certainly not the easiest job market to find work in for most people.
What NYB actually means is... Don't ever move ANYWHERE without employment already lined up. Moving 101.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:47 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,273,634 times
Americans have always been a highly mobile society. It is especially true in a socioeconomic environment where families are forced to move due to circumstances. I was a WWII baby born to "movers". I lived in seven towns in 3 states and attended 5 schools before I was nine years old. The one thing I learned was mother was not a good mover. She was nervous and fretted over every little thing. The thing about moving is it is not so much that your favorite chair is in the wrong room as it is about giving up the immediate past and forging a new tomorrow. Moving is not only emotionally and physically demanding, it is scary even when one moves 100 miles. However, when one moves to a new region, north to south or west to east we are expected to became the proverbial chameleon and adapt to a new culture, a new economy, a new social strata, and a different political climate - darn the torpedoes and never mind the daily grind. If there is a consolation prize,. it is in knowing that even in the best of times moving is not any easier or any better than it is right now.

Bostonians are as unlikely to find authentic Boston Clam Chowder in Tennessee, as Atlantans are unlikely to find sweet tea and grits in Maine. Moving is a life changing event and very often a culture shock. Embrace it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area