Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 03:38 PM

835 posts, read 2,306,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
I would like to know how exactly iwasblownaway "downs" southern things??? Is it because of the friendliness and helpfulness people provide? Or the art community? Or the weather? perhaps it was the cultural diversity they talk about? or the large number of manufacturing companies the upstate provides? are these "downing" southern things? Even when they mention "College football, fried chicken, and country music" they say nothing negative. only that the upstate has more options to offer than that, and I wholeheartedly agree.
Here's where my problem is. It still sounds negative, especially when they're calling them "stereotypes", a word which has a negative connotation most of the time. What is so wrong with those things? I'm not even that big on any of those 3 but I don't like the attitude that site seems to have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
The point of the ad campaign is to educate people and point out the fact that many of the stereotypes they have likely heard regarding the South are not true (at least not in Greenville). Like it or not, many people from around the country view the South as nothing but rural farmland, country music, uneducated citizens, and backwards thinking. And they tend to assume it's all the same, with little to no variation throughout. The iwasblownaway.com ads take a wonderful approach to addressing those negative stereotypes. Very creative if you ask me!
So why don't they try dispelling the racism or inbred type of stereotypes? Leave country music, college football, and fried chicken out of it. I'd be less worried about those if I were moving here than I would be about oh say, the KKK. Maybe they should say "aspects of Southern culture" (although the country music and college foootball may not be completely exclusive to the South) instead of stereotypes.

Quote:
I do NOT view it as slow pace of life, sitting on the front porch, fried food, and sweet tea. Those things are perhaps historically attributed to the rural South, but by no means do they define the South.
Sure they may not necessarily define it, but they add to it. I have read that you don't like a slow paced life anyways so of course you are going to want Greenville to become faster...just move to New York, it's easier.

Quote:
To me, the South is about being polite (e.g., a man holding a door open for a woman) and respectful of others - even if they are not like you. It is about being pleasant and having a welcoming attitude. It is about enjoying life to the fullest, whether at work or at play. Greenville certainly embodies these things.
So if Chicago suddenly became like that, they would be completely Southern too? I value the things you mentioned above which is exactly why I don't want people moving here. Transplants are going to get here and not adapt. Even if Greenville gets big and everyone is nice...what happens when people move here and think "Greenville is a big city. Must not look anyone in the eye. Must look angry and depressed. Must not talk to anyone I don't know. Must curse in front of anyone and everyone because it's 'progressive' and no one will mind."? When I see somebody get out of their car and start giving the finger, I'm really gonna wonder if Greenville should grow.

Old 11-21-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
In my opinion, those are the very things guestposter wants back here to rule the South. The problem is, we can't bring the past back now, nor do most people living here today want to. We learn from the past, not live in it.
You know me so well. I really want everyone to be uneducated and backwards.

As a general example:
I suppose wishing for certain things in the past are backwards? I guess the way things were up until now were completely horrible. If we wished for better times of before, we would be backwards. So wishing that chewing gum was the major problem in today's schools as opposed to drugs, pregnancy, and assault would be backwards? If anything that type of thinking sounds just a little backwards to me.

Now, I'm glad that things like segregation are gone and I never had to live those days but I'm sure that even back then there were some things that were good that aren't around nowadays

Old 11-21-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
I am annoyed when people try to sell me ANYTHING on the street. What difference does it make if its jesus, a credit card at a department store, or those people who solicit coupons all day in downtown? It's still obnoxious!
Are you really comparing Jesus to coupons? Jesus isn't supposed to be "sold" anyways.

Anyways, many Christians aren't big fans of the zealots in downtown Greenville, especially because it makes us look bad.

But if they deter the transplants... lol jk.

Old 11-21-2008, 04:24 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,797,602 times
Did you get that all out of your system Guestposter? This thread is a mess.

Old 11-21-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Did you get that all out of your system Guestposter? This thread is a mess.
Haha been a bit busy this week. I had to get all my posts in at once.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:10 PM

765 posts, read 1,911,862 times
I feel you pain down in Aiken Guestposter..

Old 11-21-2008, 09:32 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,843,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
Are you really comparing Jesus to coupons? Jesus isn't supposed to be "sold" anyways.

Anyways, many Christians aren't big fans of the zealots in downtown Greenville, especially because it makes us look bad.

But if they deter the transplants... lol jk.
I agree I don't think the people harassing folks in downtown represent most greenville christians, and yes they are "selling" jesus so why can't I compare that to trying to sell anything that people aren't interested in.

Quote:
You know me so well. I really want everyone to be uneducated and backwards.
if you didn't act that way we wouldn't treat you that way, i'm sure no one ever cursed or gave anyone the finger in the south before transplants arrived hows that for sarcasm

Old 11-25-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
if you didn't act that way we wouldn't treat you that way, i'm sure no one ever cursed or gave anyone the finger in the south before transplants arrived hows that for sarcasm
I think the term "backwards" on here must be what you call someone when their opinion differs from yours.

Yes, they have cursed but most people have the decency to watch their language out in public, in the workplace, around kids, etc. which is more than I can say for the big cities I have visited. Giving the finger in road rage is rude (yet understandable).

Old 11-26-2008, 09:07 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,843,540 times
Quote:
I think the term "backwards" on here must be what you call someone when their opinion differs from yours.
No its what you say when someone feels like the growth and development that has built a great city should stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area