Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 08:32 AM

2 posts, read 5,473 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move to Greenville, SC from North Carolina. We've only been here for a year, but have to move next summer. We are originally from indiana. We are late 20s, with no children, and a dog.

We have several questions. We visited Greenville several weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed our visit. The downtown area/Main St was gorgeous. It reminded us alot of downtown Indianapolis, IN, but with much better weather! We are very outdoorsy and want to continue living in a beautifully landscaped area with milder weather than Indiana. We love mountains and love mountain views!

I am a young dentist, just finishing my residency this next year. So, I will be starting my job search very soon. Any advice from other young professionals or dentists on the best areas to look? I actually love public health, so my ideal job would be at a public health community clinic.

My husband is considering a complete career change and is looking into Greenville Technical College to pursue a PT Assistant program. Any advice on this? Currently, my husband has an industrial technology degree and injection molding degree.

The most advice we need at this point is where to look for living. We know that Mauldin, Simpsonville, and Taylors have been noted to be good living areas. We would like to try and be within 20 minutes of downtown G-ville. Our ideal home would be a mountain view, with some land. This will be our first home, so we aren't looking for anything too exorbitant. We are looking for something around $200K or less, preferably 2-story with somewhere between 0.5-2 acres of land, and a fence (or with the option that we can build a fence). Is there any area that is still in a good school district that fits this description??? We are trying to avoid a cookie cutter house in a crammed neighborhood. We want land to roam around and let our dog run around. We are having a hard time finding a concrete list of good school districts, so we are assured we are buying a home with a good resale value.

Also, any particular realtors that are really great to work with?

We appreciate ANY advice you can give. Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 01:14 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,137,469 times
I live in the Simpsonville/Fountain Inn area and my grands go to Fork Shoals School. It is great. Can't see the mountains from my house but I can from Fairview Rd.
The home values seem to have held pretty good in our area.
The Braisher Campus of Greenville Technical College is on West Georgia Rd. close by.
The price you are quoting is resonable for this area.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:44 PM

511 posts, read 1,522,301 times
Default easley

I live in Easley and can be downtown in about 15 minutes. You may want to try Dacusville for some mountain views. Travelers Rest may be good also.. You can get at lease a 1/2 ac. lot in most of these places. You should have quite a few options in the 200k price range.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:55 AM

146 posts, read 521,631 times
Subscribed.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:14 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,550,121 times
I live in Simpsonville which I like but it seems lots are very small in this neck of the woods. We have 0.4 acres but it is THE largest lot in the subdivision and most of what we saw was more in the .18 acre to .25 acre lot size.

I really liked TRest area and Taylors is very near Paris Mtn state park. We just moved here to be minutes from the grandkids.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:14 AM

134 posts, read 262,346 times
Anything north of highway 29 in Greer has a really good chance at mountain views. I'm not sure how expensive it is, but I would move to Paris mountain in greenville if I were you. Your on a mountain and the rest of the mountain range is clearly visible. You are also pretty close to downtown Greenville. Hope this helps =D

Old 09-17-2009, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,745 times
drjamijo, I live in the Simpsonville area and love it! It is min from downtown all the shopping you could want and just a few min in the other direction you have all sorts of farms, everything from happy cow creamery to blueberry fields. TR is a good area more of a small town living mantality. There are a lot of colleges for your husband. As for the school district Greenville is all one district so there are not classifications as to which is best you just have do look at each school. My husband is a teacher at Fountain Inn and Fork Shouls he has also tought in TR. Every school really is good in its own way it really just depends on what specific reqirements you have. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any more help!

Old 09-18-2009, 08:09 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,368,059 times
Default Greenville City Taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga2email View Post
Anything north of highway 29 in Greer has a really good chance at mountain views. I'm not sure how expensive it is, but I would move to Paris mountain in greenville if I were you. Your on a mountain and the rest of the mountain range is clearly visible. You are also pretty close to downtown Greenville. Hope this helps =D
When I looked at the property tax situation, it seemed taxes were higher in the City of Greenville than in the surrounding areas. Something to check out...

Old 09-18-2009, 11:04 AM

44 posts, read 103,300 times
Have you checked out how many new dental practices there are here? I see a new one with "now accepting new patients" signs all over the place. Might be tough to open your own business. as for Tech, all of their health releated programs operate on a points system...the higher the points you have is how you get accepted into the program. So technically, he could apply many times never getting into the program unless his points are high. High grades=high points.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:41 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,840,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skittle24 View Post
Have you checked out how many new dental practices there are here? I see a new one with "now accepting new patients" signs all over the place. Might be tough to open your own business. as for Tech, all of their health releated programs operate on a points system...the higher the points you have is how you get accepted into the program. So technically, he could apply many times never getting into the program unless his points are high. High grades=high points.
I am a young dentist, just finishing my residency this next year. So, I will be starting my job search very soon. Any advice from other young professionals or dentists on the best areas to look? I actually love public health, so my ideal job would be at a public health community clinic.

the OP is looking for a job, not opening her own practice.

it looks like phase I of the PT Assistant program is easy to get into, its phase II where they start the points system

Last edited by NoodlesKnowles; 09-18-2009 at 12:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area