Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 04:49 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times

Advertisements

I want to learn more about the co-op coming in Spartanburg. A lof of us poor old hippies ate the natural food before it became trendy. Who remember the day of fishing tofu out of 5 gallon tubs with tongs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 06:36 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Although I've never been to one, I've heard great things about this 74 store, North East chain called Wegmans. It's a full service store, with free baby sitting, full service restaurant, huge take out section, etc....

I'm sure you pay for those amenities through their food prices. But I think something like that would go well in Greenville.

http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/st...oductId=680261

Old 10-14-2009, 07:44 AM

288 posts, read 948,709 times
I heard we are supposed to be getting a Trader Joes. I've never shopped in one but a lot of people have raved about it.
What I would like is a centralized place to buy locally raised meat and eggs. You can get those things at Whole Foods... for twice the price as regular. I've done enough research to know that local and responsibly raised is the way to go and worth extra expense. I'd just like there to be slightly more affordable choices and options as to where to buy it. My family has made a choice to eat less meat so that we can afford the good stuff when we do eat it. I know there are local farms. Has anybody bought meat directly from them?

Old 10-14-2009, 08:55 AM

2,068 posts, read 5,965,179 times
The Trader Joes website does not show Greenville as getting a store, at least not real soon anyway. The one in Nashville seemed to take forever to open once it showed on their site. They have fabulous cheeses and are much less expensive than you would expect of a store like theirs.
Welcome to Trader Joe's - Your Neighborhood Grocery Store - Find a Trader Joe's

Old 10-14-2009, 09:07 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,839,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Although I've never been to one, I've heard great things about this 74 store, North East chain called Wegmans. It's a full service store, with free baby sitting, full service restaurant, huge take out section, etc....

I'm sure you pay for those amenities through their food prices. But I think something like that would go well in Greenville.

http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/st...oductId=680261
I would give my right arm for a wegmans in Greenville! love this store! When I talked to a Bloom manager on the phone a few weeks ago even he admitted Wegmans was one of the best grocery store chains in the country!

You didn't pay for those amenities, it was like any other neighborhood grocery price wise, it is truly the best grocery store I have ever had the pleasure to shop in, I would love to see something like wegmans or maybe giant eagle, they are both great

Old 10-14-2009, 11:05 AM

156 posts, read 356,215 times
Yay! I have a popular thread! lol

Regarding the post about GMO's...it isn't a big deal to some, but it is to me with a 3 y/o with LOTS of developmental and food issues. So thanks for that post -- we want to give her the best, purest stuff possible and try to stay within our budget.

I am still perusing the stores and may post again in a couple months when I get into a routine. I was just surprised that the presence of a Whole Foods and Fresh Market (and Earth Fare which I hadn't heard of until we moved here last week) wouldn't necessitate a healthy competition with the "regular" grocery stores offering more natural and organic selections at a more competitive price. For instance, I rarely needed to go to Whole Foods because I could find the same thing at our local Kroger for about $1 less.

Either way, I am thankful to at least have all of these stores to choose from...AND I'm loving Greenville so far! Sans the rainy weather...

Old 10-14-2009, 01:26 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyk298 View Post

Regarding the post about GMO's...it isn't a big deal to some, but it is to me with a 3 y/o with LOTS of developmental and food issues. So thanks for that post -- we want to give her the best, purest stuff possible and try to stay within our budget.

I am still perusing the stores and may post again in a couple months when I get into a routine. I was just surprised that the presence of a Whole Foods and Fresh Market (and Earth Fare which I hadn't heard of until we moved here last week) wouldn't necessitate a healthy competition with the "regular" grocery stores offering more natural and organic selections at a more competitive price. For instance, I rarely needed to go to Whole Foods because I could find the same thing at our local Kroger for about $1 less.

Either way, I am thankful to at least have all of these stores to choose from...AND I'm loving Greenville so far! Sans the rainy weather...

Old 10-14-2009, 03:14 PM
LCM

77 posts, read 185,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post

A Great Place to Shop and a Great Place For a Family Meal: Wegmans Collegeville, PA Store Opens Sunday, October 11, at 7 a.m. *| Wegmans
Oh yes, Wegman's! It's the one and only thing I miss about upstate New York. And I miss it a lot. The shopping experience there is fantastic, and the prices were actually better than what I'm finding at any of the grovery stores here.

(Not really complaining--everything else here is better :-)

Old 10-14-2009, 04:55 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,856,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyk298 View Post

Glad to hear you are loving Greenville.
Just remember, that rainy weather is what makes Greenville "GREEN".

Old 10-14-2009, 06:52 PM

156 posts, read 356,215 times
All this talk about pricing, etc...I noticed that our daughter's fave gluten free cookies and pasta are on sale at Ingles - cheapest I've EVER seen them...niiiiiice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area