Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 06:54 PM

156 posts, read 356,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Glad to hear you are loving Greenville.
Just remember, that rainy weather is what makes Greenville "GREEN".
HA!!! So that's why it's called Greenville!

In the past month, it has been called GreenSville, GreenBORO, and GreenSBORO...all by me, and thankfully, not to anyone who lives here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 08:40 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,462,675 times
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news about genetically engineered foods to those of you who might have your head in the sand but unfortunately is is OUR REALITY. Our food supply quality is AWFUL and getting worse quickly unless we do something about it.

To the rest of you who know, GMOs are wicked and you can thank Monsanto for them- the manufacturer of Bovine Growth hormone-- which adds pus to your milk and causes it to sour more quickly and makes cows sick. You ingest the lower quality of milk along with the hormones and your milk sours quicker than non Bovine Growth hormone treated milk. Of course, you all can figure out who benefits from rBGH -- the retailers who sell more milk because it doesn't last as long and Monsanto who sells it to the farmers. I don't see how the farmers benefit when milk production was never a problem. There was always a surplus of milk. The famers now just have sicker cows and have probably been backed into a corner by "food safety" laws that Monsanto dreamed up to somehow legally force farmers to buy and use rBGH----just the way they want to force farmers to now follow rules set by the FDA that will tell them how they must farm if they want to farm in this country --which will include where they buy their supplies ( from the BIG AGRA suppliers like Monsanto of course). It is all designed to put the small farmers out of business; ruin the organic farming industry and may be so invasive, they may start telling us what seeds we can use in our back yard gardens.

In fact animals, if given a choice of eating natural produce or geneticaly engineered will not go near the GM food and instead eat the natural. If you watch the film in the Seeds of Deception link I provided earlier there is a segment of the lecture where there are pictures of mice who were force fed GM food as well as those fed natural food along with how it affected their child bearing and health of their offspring. As a matter of fact in one lab they switched the feed they fed all the rats they used for testing to GM food and right after doing so health problems set in and eventually half of the rats died and this had not ever happened previously when the rats were fed non genetically modified food.

This bill, HR 2749 passed the House but not the Senate yet, I don't believe, so it may not be too late to contact your Senators and tell them to OPPOSE it. Oppose HR 2749

Regarding natural food markets. I have been to Fresh Market and thought it had a nice atmosphere but like a regular grocery store, it offered very few things in the way of organic produce. They didn't even have any bags of organic Romaine lettuce which every regular grocery store SHOULD carry but in the Carolinas (or at least SC) few if any do. The only ones who consistently do are Earth Fare and Whole Foods.

I have also been to Trader Joes in the northeast before I moved here and it is great for frozen foods and packaged items that are cost prohibitive at Whole Foods are affordable at Trader Joes. They also carry some items that Whole Foods doesn't even carry that also aren't available (needless to say )in a regular grocery store. The produce is catch as catch can. They are also famous for their drinkable yet really cheap $2 per bottle wine. The store size is much smaller than Whole Foods . Here's their website. Welcome to Trader Joe's - Your Neighborhood Grocery Store - Aloha! If you want a store in your area, let them know. Your town may be the first in the state of SC to get a Trader Joes. Go to the Atlanta forum and read the posts about Trader Joes if you want to find out what people think of them there.

Last edited by emilybh; 10-14-2009 at 08:55 PM..

Old 10-14-2009, 10:05 PM

470 posts, read 595,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Although I've never been to one, I've heard great things about this 74 store, North East chain called Wegmans. It's a full service store, with free baby sitting, full service restaurant, huge take out section, etc....

I'm sure you pay for those amenities through their food prices. But I think something like that would go well in Greenville.

A Great Place to Shop and a Great Place For a Family Meal: Wegmans Collegeville, PA Store Opens Sunday, October 11, at 7 a.m. *| Wegmans
By far the best grocery store I have ever been to. Think of Whole Foods combined with a Publix. But so much better. If you ever have a chance to visit one you really should. And for the most part prices at Wegmans are better than the stores here in Greenville.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:17 AM

156 posts, read 356,430 times
Wow! Just got back from Ingles and I was thoroughly impressed with how each aisle had a big sign marking where their natural and organic food was located. Also how they helped me put groceries in the car...didn't get a chance to really look thru everything because I had the 3 y/o with me. I don't think they have a lot of organic produce...will have to check back.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:35 AM

548 posts, read 1,980,597 times
I think you'll find to get the best buys on stuff you have to shop around. I find Bi-Lo the best for soda's. They usually have either Coke products or Pepsi products on sale every week. Walmart is good for the cereals and other box goods and some frozen things. I love Publix for the meats and other fresh stuff although before they moved I shopped at Fresh Market. Now it's just a tad too out of the way for me for anything other than occasionally. I don't like Bloom. Not because of the store but because of the employees. I found a lack of service that I get from both Bi-Lo and Publix. I found this when I first went there and then a year later at another Blooms when I had an employee nearly run me over with a cart of product and not even acknowledge that I was there.

ETA: Publix has organic foods both meat & vegetables as well as some packaged products. I think some Bi-lo's do too. One's in the more "trendy" neighborhoods.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:16 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,548,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news about genetically engineered foods to those of you who might have your head in the sand but unfortunately is is OUR REALITY. Our food supply quality is AWFUL and getting worse quickly unless we do something about it.

To the rest of you who know, GMOs are wicked and you can thank Monsanto for them- the manufacturer of Bovine Growth hormone-- which adds pus to your milk and causes it to sour more quickly and makes cows sick. You ingest the lower quality of milk along with the hormones and your milk sours quicker than non Bovine Growth hormone treated milk. Of course, you all can figure out who benefits from rBGH -- the retailers who sell more milk because it doesn't last as long and Monsanto who sells it to the farmers. I don't see how the farmers benefit when milk production was never a problem. There was always a surplus of milk. The famers now just have sicker cows and have probably been backed into a corner by "food safety" laws that Monsanto dreamed up to somehow legally force farmers to buy and use rBGH----just the way they want to force farmers to now follow rules set by the FDA that will tell them how they must farm if they want to farm in this country --which will include where they buy their supplies ( from the BIG AGRA suppliers like Monsanto of course). It is all designed to put the small farmers out of business; ruin the organic farming industry and may be so invasive, they may start telling us what seeds we can use in our back yard gardens.

In fact animals, if given a choice of eating natural produce or geneticaly engineered will not go near the GM food and instead eat the natural. If you watch the film in the Seeds of Deception link I provided earlier there is a segment of the lecture where there are pictures of mice who were force fed GM food as well as those fed natural food along with how it affected their child bearing and health of their offspring. As a matter of fact in one lab they switched the feed they fed all the rats they used for testing to GM food and right after doing so health problems set in and eventually half of the rats died and this had not ever happened previously when the rats were fed non genetically modified food.

This bill, HR 2749 passed the House but not the Senate yet, I don't believe, so it may not be too late to contact your Senators and tell them to OPPOSE it. Oppose HR 2749

Regarding natural food markets. I have been to Fresh Market and thought it had a nice atmosphere but like a regular grocery store, it offered very few things in the way of organic produce. They didn't even have any bags of organic Romaine lettuce which every regular grocery store SHOULD carry but in the Carolinas (or at least SC) few if any do. The only ones who consistently do are Earth Fare and Whole Foods.

I have also been to Trader Joes in the northeast before I moved here and it is great for frozen foods and packaged items that are cost prohibitive at Whole Foods are affordable at Trader Joes. They also carry some items that Whole Foods doesn't even carry that also aren't available (needless to say )in a regular grocery store. The produce is catch as catch can. They are also famous for their drinkable yet really cheap $2 per bottle wine. The store size is much smaller than Whole Foods . Here's their website. Welcome to Trader Joe's - Your Neighborhood Grocery Store - Aloha! If you want a store in your area, let them know. Your town may be the first in the state of SC to get a Trader Joes. Go to the Atlanta forum and read the posts about Trader Joes if you want to find out what people think of them there.
To me - hey, I'm doing good just to get a veg or two into my diet occasionally no matter the source. I don't really care or want to know about all that stuff. Life's tough enough already!

Old 10-20-2009, 12:09 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,969,175 times
I checked out Fresh Market for the first time last week, and although it is a lovely store and has a really nice atmosphere, there is no way I would do my weekly shopping there, they are just way too pricey. I will say though, that they seem to have the best grocery store bakery that I have tried locally. Bloom to me is somewhere between Publix and Fresh Market. It's OK, but not priced well enough that I will shop there regularly. In fact, I haven't been in one in months.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:43 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,548,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
I checked out Fresh Market for the first time last week, and although it is a lovely store and has a really nice atmosphere, there is no way I would do my weekly shopping there, they are just way too pricey. I will say though, that they seem to have the best grocery store bakery that I have tried locally. Bloom to me is somewhere between Publix and Fresh Market. It's OK, but not priced well enough that I will shop there regularly. In fact, I haven't been in one in months.
To me, the Fresh Market has by far the best grocery bakery. Followed closely by Whole Foods, then Publix (they use actual buttercream, not some lard-based junk).

I find the really strong odors right as you walk into Whole Paycheck (I mean, Whole Foods) a bit overpowering. Although I do love WF's hot food bar and pizzeria!

Old 10-20-2009, 01:26 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,969,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
To me, the Fresh Market has by far the best grocery bakery. Followed closely by Whole Foods, then Publix (they use actual buttercream, not some lard-based junk).

I find the really strong odors right as you walk into Whole Paycheck (I mean, Whole Foods) a bit overpowering. Although I do love WF's hot food bar and pizzeria!
That's what impressed me, the buttercream. To be honest, I thought it was better than the birthday cake I bought at Strossner's last month.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:25 PM

607 posts, read 1,403,354 times
The meat department at Bloom is very good, I find. They also have good sales on meat. I have found the service to be good at both the HWY14 location in Greer and the one on Holland Road in Simpsonville. Other than that, the only reason I may shop at Bloom is becasue of Triple Coupons (up to 99 cents) that they do from time to time.
All in all, Bloom is overpriced for other things. I buy most of my organic milk at Wal-Mart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area