Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2018, 10:00 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,097,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Well you must be the minority because theyre about to open a 3rd in Columbia and one in Fort Mill too. And the Easley one is doing fine. I still say off Woodruff wouldve worked better.

Only reason I didnt try the Woodruff one was because I didnt want to pay that price when I could go a mile away to Steak n Shake and get the $4 meal i typically get anyway. Anderson and Easley dont have S&S competition.
No, I obviously wasn't in the minority because the place went out of business. They are succeeding in Easley and Anderson but failed in Greenville on Woodruff road; draw your own conclusions.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:42 AM

453 posts, read 646,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
No, I obviously wasn't in the minority because the place went out of business. They are succeeding in Easley and Anderson but failed in Greenville on Woodruff road; draw your own conclusions.
I mean, it can be true that this specific Freddy's was lousy and that the location is abysmal.

After Jack in the Box keeled over, that empty shell was vacant for years and years. Once someone did finally move in, we saw the following come and go in around five years: Metro Burger (another burger-centric concept!) failed, Twisted Kitchen from the same folks failed, and Freddy's was similarly shortlived. I don't think any of them made it to the two year point.

Panda Express is doing well there, yes, but I think it's because people's desire to eat Panda Express outweighs the fact that it's a terrible location.

I only went to that Freddy's once. The food was fine but unremarkable, it struck me as overpriced for what I got, the hassle to get in or out (depending on which direction you're coming from) is not worth it, and the service was way below par. There wasn't even anyone working the front counter, and after waiting politely for a couple minutes, I eventually had to flag someone down to take my order. My wife's reaction was the same as Jandrew5's -- that there's no point in going there when Steak and Shake tastes better, is less expensive, and is right down the road.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:22 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,014,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
I mean, it can be true that this specific Freddy's was lousy and that the location is abysmal.

After Jack in the Box keeled over, that empty shell was vacant for years and years. Once someone did finally move in, we saw the following come and go in around five years: Metro Burger (another burger-centric concept!) failed, Twisted Kitchen from the same folks failed, and Freddy's was similarly shortlived. I don't think any of them made it to the two year point.

Panda Express is doing well there, yes, but I think it's because people's desire to eat Panda Express outweighs the fact that it's a terrible location.

I only went to that Freddy's once. The food was fine but unremarkable, it struck me as overpriced for what I got, the hassle to get in or out (depending on which direction you're coming from) is not worth it, and the service was way below par. There wasn't even anyone working the front counter, and after waiting politely for a couple minutes, I eventually had to flag someone down to take my order. My wife's reaction was the same as Jandrew5's -- that there's no point in going there when Steak and Shake tastes better, is less expensive, and is right down the road.
How was the location abysmal? It's one of the easiest ins and outs on that part of Woodruff with access to a signalized intersection next to it if you take the back entrance to the parking lot. I think the overpriced food was the real reason for Freddy's failure like you said you could get the same from Steak and Shake for 3.99 or a little more just around the corner. Personally if I was going to spend that much for burger and fries I would rather have Bad Daddy's, Red Robin or Fuddruckers close by. That was the real problem- Better choices in competition nearby.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:27 AM

5,162 posts, read 7,355,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
How was the location abysmal? It's one of the easiest ins and outs on that part of Woodruff with access to a signalized intersection next to it if you take the back entrance to the parking lot. I think the overpriced food was the real reason for Freddy's failure like you said you could get the same from Steak and Shake for 3.99 or a little more just around the corner. Personally if I was going to spend that much for burger and fries I would rather have Bad Daddy's, Red Robin or Fuddruckers close by. That was the real problem- Better choices in competition nearby.
I tend to prefer Culver's or Steak and Shake rather than Freddy's. And Freddy's did seem a bit overpriced.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:28 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Okay, my point wasnt about just Woodruff. Just because it didn't work there doesn't mean it won't work elsewhere. You personally think they're nasty, but apparently most people don't if theyre opening up 3 new places across the state.

Either the food sucks everywhere and non-Greenville people don't have taste buds, or something was wrong with that specific location, aka it was nasty, traffic, competition, management, price, maybe a combination of things, etc, etc.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:31 AM

5,162 posts, read 7,355,600 times
Quote:
Well you must be the minority because theyre about to open a 3rd in Columbia and one in Fort Mill too. And the Easley one is doing fine. I still say off Woodruff wouldve worked better.

Only reason I didnt try the Woodruff one was because I didnt want to pay that price when I could go a mile away to Steak n Shake and get the $4 meal i typically get anyway. Anderson and Easley dont have S&S competition.
If I am in Columbia area I always make a point to eat at Rush's. A local chain institution serving burgers, hot dogs, and fried chicken, and soft serve ice cream. I doubt I would stop at Freddy's. I really wish they would expand Rush's into the Upstate or even the Charlotte area, but they do not choose to go beyond the Midlands. One of those local regional chains.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:36 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
If I am in Columbia area I always make a point to eat at Rush's. A local chain institution serving burgers, hot dogs, and fried chicken, and soft serve ice cream. I doubt I would stop at Freddy's. I really wish they would expand Rush's into the Upstate or even the Charlotte area, but they do not choose to go beyond the Midlands. One of those local regional chains.
They sound homegrown like Whataburger. I had one in Oklahoma yesterday and would love to see them expand here. They have that local, family-owned feel and service and food was great. Basically that regions version of Chickfila or In and Out. I even brought some of their ketchup back with me.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:00 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

I never overly cared for Rush's.. Columbia has some odd local things that just work there.. Rush's, Maurice's and Lizard's Thicket are three I can immediately think of.

Fairly long ago, there was a Lizard's Thicket franchise or something that opened up in the old Shoney's on N Pleasantburg.. My understanding is that it was rather badly mismanaged and didn't make it more than a couple of years.

Old 04-09-2018, 02:34 PM

There used to be a Whataburger on I95 right before Savannah.

Old 04-09-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Okay, my point wasnt about just Woodruff. Just because it didn't work there doesn't mean it won't work elsewhere. You personally think they're nasty, but apparently most people don't if theyre opening up 3 new places across the state.

Either the food sucks everywhere and non-Greenville people don't have taste buds, or something was wrong with that specific location, aka it was nasty, traffic, competition, management, price, maybe a combination of things, etc, etc.
Or.....people in Greenville that frequent the Woodruff Rd. business corridor have more discriminating taste than those in Easley and Anderson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area