Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2008, 09:32 AM

211 posts, read 978,811 times

Advertisements

RC . . . Great Reply. Candid, yet tactful with class.

My husband and I are seeking to move in three years. We have been researching some of the areas he likes the most (he's an avid business traveler all throughout the states). From his experiences, Raleigh / Durham and Greenville top his list. (I have only been to NC). He thinks Greenville was one of the most beautiful areas (we love mountains) he's ever seen. Therefore, we have been avidly researching blogs, city information, etc. to get an overall picture of various areas . . . eventually it will come down to a visit and getting that "right" and "positive" feeling in our gut. Every city has an energy . . . it has to "click."

We originally thought about Asheville; however, after several months of research, I'm not sure it's all cracked up to what people claim.

My biggest concern about Greenville (or SC in general) is the school system. My brother lived in Charleston for 12 years, and he said that is the only negative part he can think of about SC. I realize (from your post) that your children received great public school education. By the time we move, I will only have a middle school child. I realize a state has good and bad public school systems, but it depends on the community. Now the question (sorry so long):

Are SC schools "county" or "city" based. For instance, I live in Ohio. Although we have State standards (every state has standards), the school systems vary by community and are supported by community taxes. Therefore, the actual City of Cleveland STINKS THE BIG ONE, but some of the outlying suburbs have some of the top schools in the state.

If the SC public schools are not community based, are there private schools that are well-known in the Greenville area that offer a good education? I am Catholic, but by all means it doesn't have to be religious-based (I'm not that dedicated unfortunately). If it isn't Catholic-based, what would the non-religious based schools be (if any at all).

Also, my son will be in college at that time. He would like to go to college in a nicer climate. What universities are closest to Greenville (it can be in North or South Carolina). Not interested in Bob Jones. He would like a public institution. He's been intrigued by UNC for a long time (don't know why).

I appreciate your insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 10:12 AM

269 posts, read 1,010,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Then why did you post a comment like the one below just a few days ago?
if you notice one is about charleston, which my wife posted
the other is about Greenvile which I posted.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:13 AM

617 posts, read 2,571,875 times
There are a good bit of colleges/universities close by. I'm at Winthrop right now, which is in Rock Hill, SC. Also close by in SC are Clemson, USC, Anderson, College of Charleston, USC Upstate, etc. There are definitely others but those are the larger public ones.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Somewhat ironic, I would say. Sounds as if you have already made up your mind to hate the many good people living here. That is shameful.
We do not Hate anyone,
That said, We also do not have to live around people who have been less than nice to us. We have lived all over the country,and have experienced life to it's fullest,but in all of our travels we have never experenced any place like Greenville( except for a small mill town in Maine). We have gone out of our way to be friendly ,but it is never returned. So I guess we have Missed the "Good " people living here. Many People Like living Here ,Good for them, I am glad they enjoy it, I wish for no one to be unhappy. But for my family I wish for more. I miss the friendly educated banter amoung friends, I miss great evenings dining with friends discussing world events, I miss being able to buy the products I need down the street,instead of having to order them.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:24 AM

617 posts, read 2,571,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcoppock View Post
I regret moving to this " three legged one Goat backwards hillbilly town " and I quote someone that I love greatly. There are no great restaurants, the Shopping is dismal, the people are rude and unfriendly. What's not to like?
So was this directed at Greenville or Charleston? I don't understand because it doesn't apply to either city at all, though.

No great restaurants? Leave your house for a while and look around...have you honestly never been to a good restaurant here? If not then you won't find good restaurants anywhere. No shopping? We may not have the biggest and best stores that you find in NYC, but we certainly have plenty of shopping and we definitely have an awesome selection. Check out Haywood Mall, the Shops at Greenridge, Cherrydale, etc. Magnolia Park will be great, too. The people are not rude and unfriendly...you may have come across some who are, but that does NOT go for everyone here. Skyliner is right, you must not get out much.

And "hillbilly town"? Well...I'll refrain from what I want to say. Have a nice day!

Old 01-13-2008, 11:07 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
I miss the friendly educated banter amoung friends, I miss great evenings dining with friends discussing world events, I miss being able to buy the products I need down the street,instead of having to order them.
Translation - I am a social progressive with lots of money and miss the democratic elite class I once experienced in Greenwich CT vs talking about family, faith, love for country, our brave troops etc that I find in a place like SC. I can't stand being around the "unwashed".

Nothing wrong with that I guess, I just think you are in the wrong city...But you already said that.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:16 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by p2y2r7o View Post
So was this directed at Greenville or Charleston? I don't understand because it doesn't apply to either city at all, though.

No great restaurants? Leave your house for a while and look around...have you honestly never been to a good restaurant here? If not then you won't find good restaurants anywhere. No shopping? We may not have the biggest and best stores that you find in NYC, but we certainly have plenty of shopping and we definitely have an awesome selection. Check out Haywood Mall, the Shops at Greenridge, Cherrydale, etc. Magnolia Park will be great, too. The people are not rude and unfriendly...you may have come across some who are, but that does NOT go for everyone here. Skyliner is right, you must not get out much.

And "hillbilly town"? Well...I'll refrain from what I want to say. Have a nice day!
To be fair, you really can't compare the shopping and restaurants to places like Palm Beach or Greenwich. It really is much more "upscale"...but saying that, WHO CARES. I don't earn and will not in my lifetime be a millionaire...and again, I don't CARE. I gave up that chase about 8 years ago and never looked back. I've got a very tight, loving family and that's my fortune.

Besides, some of the best meals I've had were not in the posh Greenwich area or the Stamford Club but in much more down to earth "up and coming" places such as you would find during Southern Exposure from chefs like Thomas Keller...but that's just me.

Some people feel like paying $250.00 for a sweater in a boutique on Greenwich Avenue and somehow think that makes it or them better. I don't get it, but hey...I'm just one of the "unwashed".

Old 01-13-2008, 11:34 AM

Default Small minded much

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Translation - I am a social progressive with lots of money and miss the democratic elite class I once experienced in Greenwich CT vs talking about family, faith, love for country, our brave troops etc that I find in a place like SC. I can't stand being around the "unwashed".

Nothing wrong with that I guess, I just think you are in the wrong city...But you already said that.
I love how if anyone is educated they must be a Social progressive, even though we need some social reform in our government to get the jobs back to the US and avoid becoming a Wealfare state but I diagress,or a liberal god hating liberal. Ther truth is most of the wealthy are conservitave, God fearing,people who love their country and are much more involved than the average citizen.
Oh and no one wants to be around people who need a bath... LOL

Old 01-13-2008, 11:45 AM

Default Please lets be Real

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2y2r7o View Post

The Food here is for the most part not great! Most are chain's which will never win any awards . There are a few good rpaces but by and large a trip to Atlanta is required for any Great world class dining. The same goes for shopping unless you are buying Jewlery ,which for some reason there are several great jewlers in town.
But by and large the stores here are at the C level, if you have ever been in retail , i.e no A stores with great assortment.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:57 AM

Default Greenville is not a Great example of southern hospitality

Quote:
Bigotry is Immoral and Judging is a SIN!!!!But most forget that verse.Judge not....
Anyway how did someone asking if they had any regrets about moving here turn into the mess of hatemongering that this thred has turned into?
I regret moving to this " three legged one Goat backwards hillbilly town " and I quote someone that I love greatly. There are no great restaurants, the Shopping is dismal, the people are rude and unfriendly. What's not to like?
RC
I agree with you. Greenville is not a great example of Southern Hospitality.
There is an air of Closed mindedness that is obvious from these web postings. People seem to want,almost need to be devissive. I have never seen anyplace that tends to hide behind faith and family values to be as devisive as can be seen in these post. The Whole Basis of Christianity is Love and Acceptance of your fellow man. So shame on some of you out there for defiling These principals. That said You all should appoligize to one another ang play nice!
No the dining here is not the best , the shopping is poor by some standards. If you like it good if you don't then travel a little bit ! No More being Angry and mean to someone for being rich, or poor or in the middle. We are all valuable to society and all of our views are needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area