Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 03:22 PM

379 posts, read 534,285 times

Advertisements

Well, I can add a few things here. I have a year of being a widow under my belt, but I swear that just when I think things are getting better, I get down. I know that's normal, at least I hope it is.

Jude, on my bucket list is to take a cruise. So if you need a buddy, maybe it's something we can plan. That would be great!

I too have a friend that I used to work with in Arizona. She was a court reporter, blond, beautiful and witty. She and her husband moved to Idaho where she continued working. About 3 years ago she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. She was able to travel to seek the "best" treatment and trials. We kept in touch all these years. We were like sisters.

Then about a month ago, after realizing I hadn't heard from her in some time, I sent her a "thinking of you and hope you are doing well" email. I didn't hear back, so I checked her Facebook page. She died last October. She was only 56. No wonder I didn't hear from her. I felt so bad. Talk about things "not being fair," she was such a vivacious girl who loved life. I am glad she is not suffering any more. Boy, that one hit me like a ton of bricks. You just never know what each day brings.

On a happier note, I have reconnected with my estranged sister in Arizona! We hadn't talked in about 8 years....a lot of stupid stuff, now that I look back. Anyway, our pastor has been preaching about being a Christian and reaching out to those with whom you have a difference. He has mentioned it several times over the last few months. I always thought of my sister.

Her birthday was April 10, and I decided to call her. She answered the phone. I asked "is this the birthday girl?" She immediately recognized my voice and was thrilled to hear from me. We decided right off the bat that we were going to put the past in the past, and start anew from that moment in time. We talked for 2 hours!! It was great. Of course, I told her all about Jim. (She and her husband Jim, and me and my Jim used to be so close). It opened up the flood gates once again, and I got more out, obviously that had been building up inside of me. It was good to have that release. She welcomed me to come and live with them in AZ if I so chose, just to be near family. It's something to consider I guess, especially down the road.

I slept so good that night!

Just wanted to share some of the latest with y'all. Thanks for listening.

tngirl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 04:05 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,212,545 times
That is just wonderful, tn! I'm so happy for you! (((hugs)))

Old 04-13-2013, 04:51 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,528,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngirl205 View Post
Well, I can add a few things here. I have a year of being a widow under my belt, but I swear that just when I think things are getting better, I get down. I know that's normal, at least I hope it is.

Jude, on my bucket list is to take a cruise. So if you need a buddy, maybe it's something we can plan. That would be great!

I too have a friend that I used to work with in Arizona. She was a court reporter, blond, beautiful and witty. She and her husband moved to Idaho where she continued working. About 3 years ago she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. She was able to travel to seek the "best" treatment and trials. We kept in touch all these years. We were like sisters.

Then about a month ago, after realizing I hadn't heard from her in some time, I sent her a "thinking of you and hope you are doing well" email. I didn't hear back, so I checked her Facebook page. She died last October. She was only 56. No wonder I didn't hear from her. I felt so bad. Talk about things "not being fair," she was such a vivacious girl who loved life. I am glad she is not suffering any more. Boy, that one hit me like a ton of bricks. You just never know what each day brings.

On a happier note, I have reconnected with my estranged sister in Arizona! We hadn't talked in about 8 years....a lot of stupid stuff, now that I look back. Anyway, our pastor has been preaching about being a Christian and reaching out to those with whom you have a difference. He has mentioned it several times over the last few months. I always thought of my sister.

Her birthday was April 10, and I decided to call her. She answered the phone. I asked "is this the birthday girl?" She immediately recognized my voice and was thrilled to hear from me. We decided right off the bat that we were going to put the past in the past, and start anew from that moment in time. We talked for 2 hours!! It was great. Of course, I told her all about Jim. (She and her husband Jim, and me and my Jim used to be so close). It opened up the flood gates once again, and I got more out, obviously that had been building up inside of me. It was good to have that release. She welcomed me to come and live with them in AZ if I so chose, just to be near family. It's something to consider I guess, especially down the road.

I slept so good that night!

Just wanted to share some of the latest with y'all. Thanks for listening.

tngirl
Oh tngirl, I am so happy that you and your sister have reconnected. Family is so important. Friends too, and the older we get the more they mean to us. Even if it is a classmate you hardly knew, it hits so close to home.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:26 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,320,169 times
tngrl...I'm so glad you and your sister reconnected. YEA! Congratulations!...I'm glad the conversation went so well on both "ends." And you have more peace now...So sorry your friend passed away from pancreatic cancer.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:44 AM

Jude...I'm glad you had a good time with your granddaughters...Sorry that your childhood friend passed away...I love big, extended salad bars too with all the "trimmings." (And "toppings" etc.)...When my husband and son were alive we used to treat ourselves to ice cream cones (on a regular basis) at our local "Rite-Aid" drug store...After my husband passed away my son and I got ice cream once in awhile...I went a long time without ice cream (at "Rite-Aid") when my son was sick and later died...Finally I decided to treat myself to a cone about a week ago. (For the first time in a year and a half or longer.)...The ice cream tasted great! But I started crying (silently) in the store because I missed everyone and our "old life" together so much!...I haven't even told the pharmacists (or clerks) that my son died yet. They all liked my son a lot. (He'd been getting his meds there for years and years.)

Old 04-14-2013, 08:05 AM

I am going through a new wave of grief because my friend's husband passed away yesterday morning...We had "roots" that went "way back.".. I remember when my friend fell in love with her husband and they decided to get married..They got married just a little before my husband and I did...We all found a way to stay in touch even though we moved to different areas. (And states.)...When I'd go to visit my friend (or spend nights with her) I was always treated as a "family friend" and I spent time with my friend and her husband. They were both "my friends!"...And my friend was close to my husband too and my sons...Anyway I feel like I lost a brother or a cousin. And I feel so sad and sorry for my friend.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:28 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,212,545 times
Sorry to hear about your friend, CA.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:52 AM

1,050 posts, read 3,528,216 times
There seems to be a wave of friends passing away lately. I saw a posting from a Facebook friend about not hearing from someone for a long time, only to discover that she had died of cancer. It can be depressing, but hopefully we can get thru it.Did I mention the book I am reading. "Never Letting Go" by Mark Anthony. Check it out on Facebook Medium Mark Anthony.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:03 AM

Jude...Please share a little bit about the book you are reading. ("Never Letting Go!")...I'm interested. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning