Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 05:31 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,038,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Thank you. I haven’t been real open about it.

To make a long story short, my husband suffered a seizure in September 2018. After six months of no seizure activity, it started up again. A month later, and ever increasing seizures, we get the diagnosis of glioblastoma. He came through surgery beautifully, handled chemotherapy and radiation wonderfully. And no more seizures. Until June 29, he suffered a massive seizure, and was being transported to emergency when his heart stopped.

And the thing is, it’s not just him. We’ve lost a number of pet cats and ferals through this last year - they were all old, but still, it really hurts. My sister has vascular dementia, and it seems to have gotten way worse. I kind of feel like my grief cup runneth over and I’m sinking in the flood. There’s so much to do here, I can get way overwhelmed.

Yeah, I’m in therapy.
So sorry. You have done a great job dining out so soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2019, 01:20 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
So sorry. You have done a great job dining out so soon.
Thank you.

Old 11-18-2019, 03:35 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Thank you.
That is a lot to handle at one time..

I had a 6 month period about 20 years ago where I lost a marriage, my dad, my grandmother and
my 14 year old Golden Retriever. I think the only way I kept getting out of bed every day was that I had small children that were counting on me.

Take care of yourself and things will look brighter eventually.

Old 11-18-2019, 09:19 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
I am very sorry to hear, Tally's.

Old 11-18-2019, 02:12 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
I can relate, today is my first day eating out alone at a restaurant that Felix and I used to visit quite often.

I also started cooking on our stove, because the day after Felix passed away I made myself a fried egg and asked him how many he wanted, which of course caused me to cry. So I didn't use that stove for six months.

Eating fast food gets really old after a while.

Old 11-18-2019, 04:12 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,385,476 times
It took me a bit--but now I feel completely comfortable eating out alone. Bring my magazine, my mini iPad ---I am okay with it.

Old 12-22-2019, 03:31 PM

354 posts, read 414,715 times
Default Hi Redbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
I can relate, today is my first day eating out alone at a restaurant that Felix and I used to visit quite often.

I also started cooking on our stove, because the day after Felix passed away I made myself a fried egg and asked him how many he wanted, which of course caused me to cry. So I didn't use that stove for six months.

Eating fast food gets really old after a while.
I am sorry to hear about Felix's passing. My husband and I frequented a Mexican Restaurant together and it took me almost a year to walk into that restaurant and when I did the owner's daughter waited on me and I had no idea she was the owner's daughter and I started explaining to her how much my husband and I liked the food and then I started crying like a baby and she held me in her arms and I apologized all over the place and she told me she is the owner's daughter, no worries. So many adjustments the first three years.

Old 12-22-2019, 04:39 PM

240 posts, read 267,800 times
[quote=Tallysmom;56602265]Or your smart phone or tablet. Lots of places have free WiFi...just don’t do anything serious or financial on a shared network.

I lost my husband a little over 4 months ago and I’ve been eating out for three months. At first, it was really hard, because I was going places we loved to go to, and telling staff or owners my husband had died suddenly, but I’m venturing to other places so I can feel more normal, with no memories of the man I loved for 40 years.

For me, it wasn’t eating out that was the issue, it’s cooking. I simply have no interest, although it’s getting better. And my inability to digest onions means prepared foods are out. I’ve been eating tons of salads. And cooking eggs. With an occasional steak.[/quote

I am so sorry to hear about the death of your husband.

Old 12-25-2019, 09:30 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,038,049 times
It must be very difficult to frequent places you went to as a couple. Memories. Hopefully that pain fades.

Old 12-25-2019, 10:17 AM

3,288 posts, read 2,357,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I know I've given advise somewhere in here before but thought I'd create it's own thread BECAUSE I took myself out to eat at an IHOP today while waiting for my dog to be groomed! Of course I didn't have a book with me....(note to self: put one in the car) but I had such a pleasant experience, I didn't need one! The hostess said "just one?" and I said "yes, just one." She seated me, brought me my coffee and then I ordered. Not a single soul paid any attention to me as I sipped my coffee and looked out the window occasionaly. I ate and paid my bill. I had walked in with my head held high and didn't look like I was embarrassed to be walking in alone and I walked out the same way. Told the hostess as I paid my bill, "I'm practicing this widow thing of eating out alone" and it was very nice here. She said she was sorry and thanked me. Got in the car and headed home and felt full and satisfied. Satisfied that I had done it alone again. One guy ahead of me was ordering take out (he was constuction or something) and I didn't even let the idea enter my mind to do the take out bit. I wanted a hot omelette.

So that was my baby step of the day.
Is this a “thing”? I don’t usually go to restaurants alone but I would have no problem doing that. I always go to pizzerias. Fast food, subway, etc alone. I don’t think twice about it and don’t think anyone wasting there does either, I certainly never notice anyone else byside myself or my family to even notice if they were eating alone. If I did, I surely wouldn’t feel the need to judge them or give them a second thought. There is nothing weird about it. I would @“#9 go to a movie or concert alone. I probably wouldn’t go to a bar alone. It if I am at a restaurant, I am there to eat, just like everyone else.

Sorry to minimize this but I don’t think anyone cares. Moderator cut: read forum sticky.

Last edited by harry chickpea; 12-25-2019 at 01:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning