Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 04:31 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times

Advertisements

At the risk or repeating myself. Many restaurants, even fine dining, offer eat at the bar service. I do when alone and sometimes even when with my girlfriend. We relax, have a drink or two, and order dinner. Quite often the service is better at the bar. Alone? Try eating at the bar. Have a drink, relax, say hello to the bartender, and enjoy dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2019, 05:21 PM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
I would like to do this more often but I still feel awkward being alone. Luckily I am a good cook and don't mind cooking so it isn't a problem for me to eat at home.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:31 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Family and pets in the same year is really tough. I cried all over our dog when my grandmother died. He was a high-strung terrier, but let me hold him and cry on him for about half an hour. When I was all cried out, he got up and left. He was a puppy mill rescue and had little tolerance for humans.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:51 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I would like to do this more often but I still feel awkward being alone. Luckily I am a good cook and don't mind cooking so it isn't a problem for me to eat at home.
I don't eat out often, but I'm so tired of cooking. Throwing a couple of eggs in a pan or making a grilled cheese sandwich isn't difficult, but beyond that, I'm done.

I used to love to be able to find the time to spend an entire day in the kitchen.

Old 11-12-2019, 10:49 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I don't eat out often, but I'm so tired of cooking. Throwing a couple of eggs in a pan or making a grilled cheese sandwich isn't difficult, but beyond that, I'm done.

I used to love to be able to find the time to spend an entire day in the kitchen.
I go thru different moods. Will pick up food for a while then get in a cooking phase.
Trying to cook large batches and freeze individual portions of some things that freeze well.

In the winter I am home so much that going out to eat is a nice time to get out of the house.

Old 11-12-2019, 11:27 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I go thru different moods. Will pick up food for a while then get in a cooking phase.
Trying to cook large batches and freeze individual portions of some things that freeze well.

In the winter I am home so much that going out to eat is a nice time to get out of the house.
I do this all the time. Right now I have bags of roast beef, pork loin in gravy, turkey in gravy, winter squash, rice, meatballs in sauce, and more. A mix-n-match tv dinner is better sized and better quality than store bought. With pre-frozen veggies like peas or broccoli cuts, just portion out and toss in a microwave covered steamer with a little water for four minutes, and done.

Eating properly to support yourself during the stress is important.

Old 11-12-2019, 11:47 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Right now I have bags of roast beef, pork loin in gravy, turkey in gravy, winter squash, rice, meatballs in sauce, and more.
yum !!!

I have never tried to freeze Turkey in Gravy, will have to try that.

I just bought a small chest freezer and can now do more bulk cooking..
Watching my carbs so these are the entrees I like to freeze.
Any other suggestions?

Chili
Low Carb Chicken Tortilla Soup
Bolognese Sauce
Beef Stew
Zucchini Lasagna
Spicy Meatballs
Parmesan Chicken
Grilled Steaks in Vacuum Sealed Bags ( surprised that these taste like just off the grill)
Fajita meat & veg ready to eat
Country Style Steak & gravy

Old 11-12-2019, 12:34 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Call a restaurant or two that you like and ask if they have eat at the bar service. Go for it. You will love it.

Old 11-12-2019, 02:10 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
yum !!!

I have never tried to freeze Turkey in Gravy, will have to try that.

I just bought a small chest freezer and can now do more bulk cooking..
Watching my carbs so these are the entrees I like to freeze.
Any other suggestions?

Chili
Low Carb Chicken Tortilla Soup
Bolognese Sauce
Beef Stew
Zucchini Lasagna
Spicy Meatballs
Parmesan Chicken
Grilled Steaks in Vacuum Sealed Bags ( surprised that these taste like just off the grill)
Fajita meat & veg ready to eat
Country Style Steak & gravy
Visit the recipes or food and drink forums and you may find more. Soups freeze well. I freeze packets of cubed chicken thigh meat raw, for quick simple stir fries. Grab a take out menu from a Chinese restaurant and copy. Chicken, cashews, broccoli, mushrooms are basics. A visit to an oriental store will give a range of prepared bottled sauces for more variety.

There can be something comforting in the act of cooking. Freezing some for later takes less time overall, can tide you over when cooking seems too much of a chore, and recognizes that there is a future. A regular tv dinner can feel like a penitent's meal. One that you have made to give maximum comfort, and a nice movie that keeps you focused on it as you eat can be a break and relief.

Old 11-12-2019, 03:00 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Visit the recipes or food and drink forums and you may find more. Soups freeze well. I freeze packets of cubed chicken thigh meat raw, for quick simple stir fries. Grab a take out menu from a Chinese restaurant and copy. Chicken, cashews, broccoli, mushrooms are basics. A visit to an oriental store will give a range of prepared bottled sauces for more variety.

There can be something comforting in the act of cooking. Freezing some for later takes less time overall, can tide you over when cooking seems too much of a chore, and recognizes that there is a future. A regular tv dinner can feel like a penitent's meal. One that you have made to give maximum comfort, and a nice movie that keeps you focused on it as you eat can be a break and relief.
I’ve purchased some serving sized containers, but have yet felt like cooking. When the weather turns for real, I’ll be making lasagne, and chili. And soup.

And I’m looking for tiny pie pans so I can make a tiny quiche. Prepared food from the store is just so bad. Mainly because I can’t eat onions and now can’t stand the taste or smell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning