Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 01:32 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times

Advertisements

I called my fav resteraunt yesterday to find out what the specials of the night were. An hour later I went down to have dinner. I walked in and got such a happy welcome and the hostess says "I know what you want!" "You do?? What do I want??" "The roast beef." BINGO!!!!

An observant young lady! I hadn't been there in a couple of weeks either! It made me feel happy that they actually have been noticing that I go there. Simple and silly but it meant a lot to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 10:19 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,216,684 times
Hi Maniznluv,

I am so happy you were remembered and enjoyed your experience.

I have always ...all my life, went out to eat on my own, so it is not a big deal to me.

Roast Beef, YUMMM!!!

Old 10-12-2012, 01:37 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I'm not a widow but a divorcee after 30 years. I've done it but only at places I know well and where they might even know me. I've been to the movies alone as well and that doesn't bother me at all anymore. I joined a few Meetups in my area that focus on food and eating out so now I get my fill that way. I've also become very comfortable spending time with groups of people I don't even know that well and actually even prefer that to too much one on one time with people sometimes. It really takes the pressure off me for some reason. Along the same lines my daughter has been learning to be more independent by doing a lot of traveling and spending time at the airport restaurants and bars. I guess it's not that unusual.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:01 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I've been to the movies alone as well and that doesn't bother me at all anymore. .
I am learning to enjoy this too ..but the first time was really hard..
Now if i have a few hours during the day free & a movie I want to see its
a special treat to grab some popcorn & watch a movie. For some silly reason I
feel like I am hiding from the world..

Old 10-12-2012, 09:35 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,321,246 times
I can do the movie thing alone with no problem but eating out alone is hard for me. Well, I say that but I have never actually done it. I'm afraid of being too sad.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:41 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I can do the movie thing alone with no problem but eating out alone is hard for me. Well, I say that but I have never actually done it. I'm afraid of being too sad.
We need to figure out baby steps to accomplish this..Some way to ease into it..
I can go to lunch places now but not a nice dinner place..Not sure I want to anyway..
Conversation is just part of a nice dinner for me..Maybe I will work on finding more friends who like to eat out..

Old 02-24-2013, 12:25 PM

I found a Diner across town that has good food! I've known it was there for years but it just never was neccessary for me to eat out alone. I have always loved diners. Usually good food with good prices. This one fits the bill. I do my "breakfast thing" there. Omellette, home fries and some hash. I'm always on the hunt for good hash. Found one up on a mountain top in Vermont. The cook was a former cook in the Navy when they used to cook real food. My Dad learned a lot of cooking in his off time aboard ship by hanging out in the galley just like he used to hang around the stove with my Nana. He liked to cook. He was good at it too. My mother and I were spoiled.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:19 PM

379 posts, read 533,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I found a Diner across town that has good food! I've known it was there for years but it just never was neccessary for me to eat out alone. I have always loved diners. Usually good food with good prices. This one fits the bill. I do my "breakfast thing" there. Omellette, home fries and some hash. I'm always on the hunt for good hash. Found one up on a mountain top in Vermont. The cook was a former cook in the Navy when they used to cook real food. My Dad learned a lot of cooking in his off time aboard ship by hanging out in the galley just like he used to hang around the stove with my Nana. He liked to cook. He was good at it too. My mother and I were spoiled.
I'll 2nd the diners!! Those are my kind of places too, those and what we used to call "Mom & Pop" cafes.

Old 11-05-2019, 11:03 AM

Another old thread I thought might help to be brought back.

Seven and a half years later since I took that "baby step", I have no problem walking into a place to eat by myself. It's amazing looking back at my journey. The ups, the downs, the confusion, the "faking it" until it became real. Amazing.

Old 11-05-2019, 11:33 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,730,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Another old thread I thought might help to be brought back.

Seven and a half years later since I took that "baby step", I have no problem walking into a place to eat by myself. It's amazing looking back at my journey. The ups, the downs, the confusion, the "faking it" until it became real. Amazing.
When a single, I will eat at the bar as most places offer this. My girlfriend and I often eat at the bar. Usually better service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning