Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 07:02 AM

379 posts, read 533,410 times

Advertisements

sera, I know what you mean about sharing everyday stuff. My husband and I had that kind of relationship. He was my best friend and we had 32 years of a wonderful marriage. We talked about everything and I was always asking his opinion on just about anything. I miss that.

I could use his wisdom about now. I am struggling with another work position. This is from a wonderful couple of attorneys that I worked for 5 years ago. They are in need of a good legal secretary and want me to come back in the worst way. They were great people to work for. The only hitch...they do not provide health insurance.

I am currently working for a county government office that has full benefits. I am struggling with wanting to go back to the law office and having to find other insurance (costly, I know), or staying where I am just because of the insurance. I feel like a change would do me good, but I am afraid to give up the good insurance I have. Being without is a little scary. I wish I could discuss this with him, he would help me sort it out. The bottom line, knowing him, would be to do what I want to do, he would support me in whatever decision I made.

If anyone has any suggestions or comments, feel free to sound off. Thanks for listening to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 03:01 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Oh, tngirl, I would stay where you are unless you can truely afford to buy yourself insurance. I AM withut insurance since hubby died and I can NOT afford to buy myself insurance but am going to have to because my state deemed that 1K a month is too much for me to be eligible for state assistance insurance! I have no money in the bank and just live month to month now. My medicare only pays 80% of stuff and that leaves me with still wholopping medical costs for my MS plus almost $300 for everytime my doc wants a blood test which is every 3 months! My neurologist wants an MRI every 6 months....another $600 I can't afford. It's gotten to the point of living, ie: paying the monthly bills or taking care of my health. How long would it take you to buy yourself insurance? Would you be prompt about it or procrastinate and forget about it until something bad happens? Then you are in deep doo-doo. Are the lawyers going to be around forever? What if one dies? What if both of them die? The County is not going anywhere. Very secure IMO.

Ok, you asked, you got. My opinion only. Good luck and I wish you all the best with this decision.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:00 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,806,215 times
Insurance---Have you tired AARP; DH was able to get it, no physical needed.

Decisions: Was told to take a piece of paper, fold down the middle, Title one column Pros, the other Cons.

TNG, You say they are a wonderful couple. Know for myself, I am a people pleaser. Lawyers deal in facts;
simply state as much as you want to work for them, you need insurance and must decline their offer. (My SUGGESTION !, I am saying what I would do !)

Pastor, have you consulted him or talk to any of your wonderful neighbors, ask the husband what he would advise
his wife to do in your situation?

Thank both of you for sharing; it certainly helps me to know I can come here. Prayers for all.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:01 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,408,574 times
Default feels odd..

It feels odd that I even decided to read this particular thread. But I have been having issues w/my S/O in regards to all things around the home. This morning I asked..'if I were to drop dead, I suppose you would eat out the rest of your live, cuz obviously you can't even boil water'....so I got to thinking about maybe it's time to start a little 'check list' of things and people that could be of importance later on...or at least I hope it's much later on...you know like...name/phone numbers of handyman/mechanics etc...
Koale

Old 09-29-2012, 08:27 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks tami and sera, you are both right. I have thought about it all day, and I think I would be a fool to give up the security of the benefits the county can give me and that I am currently receiving. With insurance and healthcare "up in the air" with our government, I better hold on to the sure thing I have.

I, too, have thought about one of the attorneys passing away. One is my age and the other is 67 or so. Surely he/they are not going to work/live forever.

Your replies are much appreciated and I knew you would come through for me! Thanks. Guess I just needed someone I could trust to give me a straight answer.

I have prayed about it and now feel at peace with my decision; guess God is showing me the way.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:11 AM

Good for you, tn! I suppose I should not be saying this but I'm glad you made that decision. Good decision! Praise God! Good for you to be using your noodle! Sometimes it's not what we WANT, it's what we NEED. Thank you for sharing and asking our opinions. (((HUGS)))

Old 09-30-2012, 02:56 PM

SO....the tire icon is on on my dashboard. Had to look in the owner's manual to see what it was. I groaned when I saw what it was, I haven't put air into a tire for 4 decades!!! Plus it costs money nowadays!!!! Drove it a few days just around town but when I needed to go to my other house 50 miles away, I went to BJ's for free air. I put air into the tires and the icon wa still on. I re-did the tires and it still was on. I gave up and pulled into a bay to fill up. While I was getting gas I saw a car pull up to the air pump. Finished gassing the car up and drove over to the man. I excused myself and told him what I had done and asked if he could help me. He did and I watched intently. Now I know what I was doing wrong. I didn't have the machine on enough psi. I drove on to my other house a happy camper. I feel good now that I know how to put air in my tires! Sounds stupid, I knw, but I was terrified before he showed me. Now I have confidence.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:15 PM

Not stupid tami, you learned something new today!! Good for you. I don't know that I would have known either. Glad you asked that guy. Most people are happy to help. You go girl!!

Old 10-02-2012, 05:07 PM

Bought my first appliance all by myself today!

Shop Frigidaire 30-in Smooth Surface Freestanding Convection Electric Range (Black) at Lowes.com

The one I got is bisque color because it was reduced from $749.00 to $450.00!!!! The bottom drawer is dented....big deal....I'll take it! My husband would be so proud of me for getting such a bargain! Did anyone know that an electric stove does not come with a cord anymore??? You have to buy them seperately!!!! That should be illegal. That's ridiculous.

I hate electric cooking but maybe it will be better/easier on a modern, new stove. Wish I had the money to convert to natural gas because that's what my heat is. Oh well, I'll live and learn.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:11 PM

Well you go girl!! Congrats on the new stove! And you scored a real bargain!! Proud of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning