Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 02:22 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,573,613 times

Advertisements

That's fabulous, Tami! Your hubby is probably wishing he could high five you right now!

I remember having to buy a new dishwasher about a year after dh died. I was so overwhelmed that I just bought a mid-priced GE and probably could have done better. My fridge died a while after that, and I got a huge deal on one from an appliance store that was dented and scratched on the sides. Well, my fridge goes between a wall and a cabinet unit, so the sides don't show at all. I felt like I made up for the not so good price on the DW!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 11:31 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Oh dear. The stove was completely smooshed in transport. I didn't even notice when they delivered it because the kitchen and livingroon are open floorplan and I just sat in the livingroom while they took the old out and put the new in. I have to say Lowe's is just great at trying to solve customer problems. My schedule wouldn't allow me to go back until either tonight or tomorrow morning to be there for pickup. I couldn't find another stove that was comprable price wise for my stove so I'm going to have them credit my card and start all over again. Who knows, with Christmas coming, I may find another good deal. I am so disappointed!

I stood my ground and battled a couple of nasty women until I got a manager that saw my stove before it was loaded onto the truck and he knew I was speaking the truth about the damage.

IDK how those delivery guys managed to drop my stove but they did. They used those new criss-cross things that make moving heavy stuff a breeze. The whole top of the "brain"/backsplash is ripped up and doesn't even sit ontop of the stove properly anymore! The poor thing still works but even at the deep discount I got, I wouldn't've bought it like that!

My hunt for a new stove shall resume tomorrow.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:43 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
A couple of weeks ago I put air in my tires for the first time. I tried a couple of years ago but was a miserable failure and asked some man to do it for me. This time I did it all by my onsies!

The 2nd anniversary of Earl's death was coming up (Jan. 19th) and I wasn't doing so well emotionally and that was effecting me physically to. SO I decided as long as I feel like poo, I'll quit smoking! My weird way of thinking was I could look back at this time and be happy with myself too. (I quit on the 16th) It's been a week today and it only took 24 hours for my breathing to get better! I can now take a nice deep breath without hacking my lungs up. The waves of cravings are terrible and I want to give up and give in to them but I take a deep breath and feel how good that feels. I've been smoking since I was 9 yrs old! 52 years! I sure hope I can keep up the good work!

Old 01-23-2014, 10:21 AM

2,733 posts, read 1,545,867 times
Tamiznluv,

Please don't give up on quitting smoking! I'm proud of you. You already feel better--keep up the good work!

Both my parents smoked when I was young. I absolutely hated it. My two brothers and I were always coughing and smelled like smoke ourselves as they would smoke when we were with them or in the car with them or whatever. Back then, it was just the way things were. My brothers and I NEVER smoked. To this day, I get kind of sick when I smell cigarette smoke.

Anyway, both parents quit cold turkey about 35 years ago before the grandchildren were born because they knew we kids wouldn't let our children around them if they smoked. Neither ever smoked again. The house, cars, and all of us around them smelled better. LOL Both parents were like you; they felt better quickly after kicking the smoking habit.

I remember they had periodic cravings, but they fought through them. You're a strong woman. You can beat the habit!

Old 01-24-2014, 03:52 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,316,466 times
Tami...Congratulations on putting air in your tires and deciding to quit smoking!...I know I must have looked like a weirdo the first few times I tackled putting air in my tires. (By myself.) I had to keep running in the gas station to get more quarters for the air machine. (Because I was so slow.)

Old 01-24-2014, 11:03 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,573,613 times
LOL, CA!!! That was me. I was so slow, I went though about $10 just putting a little air in each tire. I had put air in my tires many times throughout my life, so that part wasn't new, it was the pressure of getting it done in 3 minutes per/$.75. I've gotten it down so that now it only takes two 3 minute sessions to fill the tires.

Tami, quitting smoking is wonderful. Have you tried the patches or gum? I've also heard e-cigarettes help with quitting. Try having something like Werther's or Life Savers handy and each time you get the urge, suck on a candy, instead. My parents quit cold turkey and it was tough for them, but it was wonderful when they didn't smell like an ashtray anymore and their house smelled cleaner. It's hard, but you're a strong lady, you can do it. I'm cheering for you!!!

Old 01-26-2014, 08:17 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,316,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
LOL, CA!!! That was me. I was so slow, I went though about $10 just putting a little air in each tire. I had put air in my tires many times throughout my life, so that part wasn't new, it was the pressure of getting it done in 3 minutes per/$.75. I've gotten it down so that now it only takes two 3 minute sessions to fill the tires.

Tami, quitting smoking is wonderful. Have you tried the patches or gum? I've also heard e-cigarettes help with quitting. Try having something like Werther's or Life Savers handy and each time you get the urge, suck on a candy, instead. My parents quit cold turkey and it was tough for them, but it was wonderful when they didn't smell like an ashtray anymore and their house smelled cleaner. It's hard, but you're a strong lady, you can do it. I'm cheering for you!!!
Marcy...Congratulations on getting faster! I can fill my tires in "2 rounds" now too...I usually fill my tires at my grocery store gas station now. Air is free if I get gas...And I get discounts on the price of gas based on how much I purchase at the store each month...This is my favorite store anyway with the best prices in the area. So it all works out "good!" The store is only a few blocks from where I live now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning