Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 04:53 PM

943 posts, read 1,320,919 times

Advertisements

It can't find the graves of any of my dead grandparents. One I know is in the Los Angeles area, two are in the Montreal area. My father's father was killed in WWII somewhere in Ukraine (nobody knows exactly where) so I'll give it a pass on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 10:35 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Back in the '90's I lost my parents within two years of each other, and also my best friend.

Expressing grief and finding closure is not an easy thing. Something that has worked for me was creating "memorial pages" with the cemetery information on Find A Grave - Millions of Cemetery Records. On this site you are able to not only list your dearly departed, but write a brief biography of that person and post pictures. Other can leave "virtual flowers" on your memorial page. Many people from all over who never knew my folks have browsed the pages I created and left very kind messages. I found it to be worthwhile. In seeing other people's memorials I was moved by the heartfelt remembrances people have shared.

Have any of you participated in this "online community of grief" as I call it?
I used it when I was trying to piece together my family tree on ancestry.com. I found a relative's grave AND photo on that site. It is now bookmarked as I continue the search. I'm so glad this site was created.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:33 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,449,875 times
Both my grandfathers had memorials set up by others who just like to contribute to the site and I've had those transferred to me. There's a small cemetery near my house and I've taken pictures there for others. For some reason, I don't get the photo requests for other cemeteries in this area anymore.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:45 AM

311 posts, read 467,210 times
I found the sight to be very helpfull. I visited one of the cemetaries and the info was correct. A big Thank You to all those that take the time to take the pictures and information for the sight. I sure do appreciate it!

Old 09-09-2012, 12:34 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,571,496 times
I found the grave of my great-grandfather's brother who I thought lived and died in Wisconsin, here in Tucson. He apparently came here to cure his TB. There was a picture of the grave, but the biography was way off. I wrote to the people who posted the biography info and asked them to correct it. They were really snippy, but they did it. Their posted correction was also very snippy. The other graves of relatives I've found were wonderful, though. I really love that site.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:24 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
I lost one of my best friends from HS during college. There was a trio of us during HS that hung around, and spent every summer day at his house because he had the in-ground pool, and lots of other neighborhood kids from the public HS showed up. I found out during finals week of my junior year in college that he was involved in a car accident in the Miami area, where the family had moved. When I went to Miami for the first time, years after, I made it a point to visit the actual grave. It was really tough. It was the first friend I had that had died. All the memories rush through your head as you stand there in disbelief.

Thanks for the link. I will have to look through it.

ETA: I've looked up some college friends/acquaintances who died and found no matches, with exact states and years of birth/death.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:31 PM

277 posts, read 518,975 times
I've used this site since my brother's death in 2008. I added both my parents (and pictures and connections to my brother). The site also directed me to a government agency in England that listed names of all their deceased. Found out they had the wrong last names for my maternal grandparents (plus an uncle) so I wrote to them and they corrected the names. In the meantime I also found out were in England they were buried so I added them to the find-a-grave site (with the connection to my parents and brother). I would hope that this will help any of our family find the information that they might be looking for in the future.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:15 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
I use it, as I think I have posted before, and I have added graves to the site. Just last week I put some information on the grave of an aunt. Within a day a person contacted me who had taken photos of all the gravestones in the cemetery. She had photos of my grandfather's entire family plot, and, furthermore, she had obits for my grandfather, grandmother, and two for my sister....none of these obits are online, and as I live in Europe I would have no way of researching the local papers in the U.S. It was a boon of information that clarified a number of things for me. I was very grateful to this man and woman for their work, and their help to me.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:20 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,420,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Back in the '90's I lost my parents within two years of each other, and also my best friend.

Expressing grief and finding closure is not an easy thing. Something that has worked for me was creating "memorial pages" with the cemetery information on Find A Grave - Millions of Cemetery Records. On this site you are able to not only list your dearly departed, but write a brief biography of that person and post pictures. Other can leave "virtual flowers" on your memorial page. Many people from all over who never knew my folks have browsed the pages I created and left very kind messages. I found it to be worthwhile. In seeing other people's memorials I was moved by the heartfelt remembrances people have shared.

Have any of you participated in this "online community of grief" as I call it?
Clark Park, recently saw this article on Facebook...and thought you (and others) might find it interesting:

Quote:
Last weekend I biked to a cemetery near my apartment with a camera and a name. I was looking for the grave of Rose Victor, a woman I’ve never met and know nothing about—except that she was buried in Mount Judah Cemetery in Queens (Section 2, Block 6, Gate 24, Path L07, Grave 62) on August 30, 1921. My mission was clear: Take a picture of her headstone, and upload it to FindaGrave.com—a crowdsourced database of gravestone photographs.

Completing that mission was harder than I expected.
The Volunteers of FindaGrave.com - The Atlantic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning