Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 11:51 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times

Advertisements

Back in the '90's I lost my parents within two years of each other, and also my best friend.

Expressing grief and finding closure is not an easy thing. Something that has worked for me was creating "memorial pages" with the cemetery information on Find A Grave - Millions of Cemetery Records. On this site you are able to not only list your dearly departed, but write a brief biography of that person and post pictures. Other can leave "virtual flowers" on your memorial page. Many people from all over who never knew my folks have browsed the pages I created and left very kind messages. I found it to be worthwhile. In seeing other people's memorials I was moved by the heartfelt remembrances people have shared.

Have any of you participated in this "online community of grief" as I call it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 11:19 PM

47 posts, read 98,166 times
I found several family members and in-laws graves on this site. I just looked, didn't write anything but I would like to look again and perhaps leave some information or a message.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:04 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
I have used Find-a-Grave for genealogy. I have left a very small number of messages on the memorial to relatives and friends I felt a special affection for. I would not go around leaving random messages on the memorial sites of people I did not know as if they were stops on a tourist trail, though there seem to be some graveyard groupies that do do that.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:51 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
My wife uses it quite a bit. We did a lot of driving finding cemeteries in our area and taking pictures of tombstones last spring. This summer was way too hot to go out. We've moved so she's got other counties to work with now. Usually works 3 or 4 counties at a time.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:25 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Back in the '90's I lost my parents within two years of each other, and also my best friend.

Expressing grief and finding closure is not an easy thing. Something that has worked for me was creating "memorial pages" with the cemetery information on Find A Grave - Millions of Cemetery Records. On this site you are able to not only list your dearly departed, but write a brief biography of that person and post pictures. Other can leave "virtual flowers" on your memorial page. Many people from all over who never knew my folks have browsed the pages I created and left very kind messages. I found it to be worthwhile. In seeing other people's memorials I was moved by the heartfelt remembrances people have shared.

Have any of you participated in this "online community of grief" as I call it?
My sister, who is deeply into genealogy, photographs graves in the north Jersey area for other genealogists and posts them on Find-A-Grave. Often she does it at the request of people who live far away but have ancestors buried in her area.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:27 PM

971 posts, read 1,453,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
My wife uses it quite a bit. We did a lot of driving finding cemeteries in our area and taking pictures of tombstones last spring. This summer was way too hot to go out. We've moved so she's got other counties to work with now. Usually works 3 or 4 counties at a time.
I used the site several years ago when it first started an d added a few of my own ancestors. I need to return and see if any of my people have been added. Thanks for the reminder.

Also thank your wife kygman for her participation as well.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:00 PM

731 posts, read 1,579,412 times
Yes, I have used Findagrave. I left a bouquet on a friends site and also used it for genealogy purposes. It is a good site and I thank people who contribute.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:03 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
I have used it for genealogy purposes only. It is a very good site and I am also very grateful to those who take the time to contribute.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:55 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
I am very touched by the strangers who have left tokens and/or messages at the pages I created for my parents. I feel my short biographies and photos I posted preserves my fond memories of my two beloved parents.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:09 AM

606 posts, read 903,544 times
I use it and volunteer to take photos for people looking for stones of their family members. I made memorial pages for my loved ones. Since I'm not nearby, it's my way of visiting them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning