Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 12:21 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,216,684 times

Advertisements

I had to put my dog to sleep three weeks ago. I came home with a neighbor and I yelled out, "Oh, there is Sherry" I saw my dog running across the floor and then she disappeared. I guess she wanted to tell me one last goodbye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 04:29 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,791,113 times
I've had several visits from friends and family who have crossed over. Nothing to be afraid of and can be very comforting.
I won't elaborate but anyone can feel free to ask me questions here or in PM.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:38 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
My wife died on May 25, 1996. We had a traditional funeral for her here, but many in her family couldn't make the trip back from New Jersey so wanted to have a memorial for her there in mid-June.

I think it was four days before the memorial get-together that her cat, strictly a house cat, escaped and took off. I canvased the neighborhood, knocking on doors and looking for him for three days. I told my next-door neighbor that if he showed up to just put him in the front door, as I had to leave for NJ. Car was packed, but before leaving I took one final look out the front door for him, turned, looked upstairs and said out loud, "Sandi, if you can, send Frack home now." I'd barely gotten the words out when I heard a "MEOW" at the door, turned around, opened it, and in pranced Frack like he'd never been gone.

Coincidence? Probably. Still, I have wondered.... The timing was just... freakishly perfect.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:22 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Honestly Id be very surprised IF your father had the ability to apparate as a spirit and say goodbye to someone before he passed on, it would have been a lady from church rather than you or your mother. In my experience people in church have been the least reliable with these kinds of things. We had a lady in my church who claimed that she spoke to God all the time and she would try to tell you things that only God would know, she was never right and it was highly awkward.

That being said my mother did claim that the night her father died (we stayed in their house that night with my grandmother to console her) he appeared in the doorway, smiled at her, and then disappeared. Shes never been one to make things up and I believe her.

Sorry about your loss.
I'm a bit of a skeptic about these things, also. But I've heard many experiences - enough to realize that it is something that happens to people. The mind is a funny thing and the more I read about quantum physics the closer I think science may be to explaining what we now call supernatural.

My own mother told me that the night that we buried her mother she awoke from sleeping and there grandma was sitting in her rocking chair at the foot of Mom's bed. She said, "Don't worry, Dear. Everything's going to be okay" and then she faded away.

And Mom was an educated woman, not in the least superstitious.

I personally haven't had any loved one come back to me in any way that I've recognized.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:01 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,571,496 times
I've found pennies in the weirdest places, and that only started happening after Bob died. I believe it's him. I've talked to him in dreams and he's answered my questions, but I've never had him appear to me. The only one I've ever seen (and my whole family has passed on) was my grandfather. It was 1975, I was married and had a two year old daughter. My grandfather died in 1964 at the age of 80. We had a small apartment, and our livingroom faced the hall that had a bathroom and two bedrooms across the hall from each other. We were sitting on the couch which faced down the hall, watching TV which was angled on the wall across from us. Something caught our eye, and I saw my grandfather walk out of my daughter's room, across the tiny hall to our bedroom. We both saw it and looked at each other. We got up and walked into our daughter's room. She was wide awake, standing in her crib. We didn't say anything, but she pointed to our room and said, "Gampa". She never met him, and would have no way of knowing who he was. My husband asked what he was wearing, and she said, "Your shirt." What we had seen was him wearing a red and black plaid flannel shirt, which he always wore, so my husband lifted her out of her crib and she went to the closet in our room and picked out his blue and black plaid flannel shirt, and said, "Dis one -- wed". We looked at each other, and shivers went up my spine. She was right. She saw the same man we saw -- my grandfather.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:03 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times
Anyone reading these replies will get a microcosm of what they will find if they study this issue in depth: namely that there appears to be so many discrepancies in experiences that one can't know what to believe if they've never had an experience themselves.

There's only three possibilities:
1. something IS happening--some people are having some sort of legitimate contact with a supernatural realm while others are only imagining them (not likely)
2. something is NOT happening--1 billion (15% of the entire world population) who have had these experiences are unstable and delusional (highly unlikely)
3. there is an unstable rift in the dimensional curtain between this world and the next and a certain number of lucky spirits are able to slip through to our dimension while others are not (this doesn't make any sense to me but we cannot discount the possibility)

Nobody grieved for the loss of a loved one more than my wife over the loss of her mother. She was very near a nervous breakdown, yet she never had any sort of a visit from her mother' spirit to console her. On the other hand, a former advisor to a US president who had no particular attachment to a relative of his grieving wife, said relative who had passed away, swears that he had a visit from the relative, spoke with him and then the spirit vanished. He says this on national camera in one of these interviews on afterlife. I seriously doubt a former advisor would want to be branded a loony on national TV. So why does he risk his reputation on such an outlandish story unless it's true?

This is like aliens and spaceships--they may be out there but they seem to be able to hide themselves so effectively that no astrophysicist has been able to convincingly document their existence.

Even with near-death studies chugging along and some impressive data being accumulated about the survival of the consciousness beyond death I think we'll never have conclusive proof even if the entire world population---all 7 billion of us---have one or more of these experiences. Go figure.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:13 PM

218 posts, read 287,866 times
My husband's family lives in the Midwest and we live on the East Coast. Whenever his parents visited, his father would tinker with my daughter's carousel music box.

My FIL passed after a brief illness (cancer). My husband flew out there before he died to visit with him. My father-in-law said his goodbyes and told my husband to go home to his family. It was Christmastime. My father-in-law died a few days after my husband returned home.

The day after his death, we were in our bedroom and we heard the carousel start to play. My daughter was not home at the time and nobody was in her bedroom. It switched on and off a few times over a minute or two.

My husband went to investigate. As he walked down the hall, he saw a very small orb of light come toward him, twirl, and then disappear.

My husband (a use to be "non-believer") believes it was his father. So do I.

My father in law embraced death. He was not in fear of it. He could have lived longer, but he chose to stop taking his medication as to not be a burden to my MIL. I think his spirit was just marveling at life and taking in a little bit more before he went to heaven.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:45 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,586,673 times
About a year after my mom died I had been doing a lot of yard work and that evening my arms ached so I took some Alieve but a few hours later I was still in pain and wondering how I was going to get to sleep. I was upstairs in the bedroom and heard something fall on the counter in the bathroom and when I walked in the medicine cabinet was opened and the container of Tiger Balm was on the counter. My mom had been a huge fan of Tiger Balm and used it for arthritis and other joint pains she had .She was forever telling people to use it when they were having joint pain .When I saw it had fallen out and was on the counter I thought thank you mom I will try it. I rubbed it on my arms and by bedtime I was pain free. To this day I believe my mom knew I was in pain and is responsible for it falling out on the counter like it did as I would not have even thought of using it and the only reason I had it was she had given me some a year or so before she died.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:02 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Short version: One night, right after we began dating, my wife's father, who had died two years earlier and who I'd never met, came to both of us; her at 3:30 a.m. and me at 3:35 a.m. (we both checked our bedside clocks) and blessed our coming marriage - something neither of us had considered after just two dates. Since we lived about 10 miles from one another he made real good time. Neither of us told the other what we'd experienced until several months after we married which is when I learned it was her father.

When my oldest daughter was seven an elderly neighbor who lived across the street (she called him The Grandfather) died suddenly. They had become good friends and he was outside everyday when she came home from school to ask her about her day. I returned home from work to find her sobbing and she told me he had died and she didn't even get to say goodbye to him. I picked her up and just then the chandelier in the dining room began swaying back-and-forth. I pointed to it and told her it was The Grandfather saying goodbye to her. She smiled and said, "Goodbye Grandfather." The chandelier made one more complete sway then stopped dead (sorry) in its tracks without another movement.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:04 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,571,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
About a year after my mom died I had been doing a lot of yard work and that evening my arms ached so I took some Alieve but a few hours later I was still in pain and wondering how I was going to get to sleep. I was upstairs in the bedroom and heard something fall on the counter in the bathroom and when I walked in the medicine cabinet was opened and the container of Tiger Balm was on the counter. My mom had been a huge fan of Tiger Balm and used it for arthritis and other joint pains she had .She was forever telling people to use it when they were having joint pain .When I saw it had fallen out and was on the counter I thought thank you mom I will try it. I rubbed it on my arms and by bedtime I was pain free. To this day I believe my mom knew I was in pain and is responsible for it falling out on the counter like it did as I would not have even thought of using it and the only reason I had it was she had given me some a year or so before she died.
I had something similar to your story happen to me. My mom died when I was 15, so as an only child, and a girl, I became the chief cook and bottle washer (and laundress and house keeper until my dad remarried).

I was sitting at the kitchen table a few weeks after my mom died, and I was crying because I had no idea how or what to cook for my dad for dinner. We'd run out of all the meals friends, church and neighbors brought over. I was feeling so helpless when without warning, a cookbook fell off a small bookshelf on the wall, and landed open to a recipe for "Texas Hash". I'd never heard of it -- we'd never had it -- but when I looked in the cupboard and fridge, we had all the ingredients, and it was simple to make. I made the recipe and when I served my dad, he was stunned. He said, "Your mom made this for us the first night we got home after our honeymoon, and I loved it. For some reason, she stopped making it."

Ironically, when my husband and I got married six years later, I made it for him, and it turns out it was also his favorite meal that his mom used to make when he was a kid...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning