Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 06:52 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
CA ~~ Bob always said "Dust to dust, ashes to ashes. There's no afterlife." Yet when I had my first dream/conversation with him about 9 months after he died, I said to him in the dream "I thought you said dead was dead. The end." He laughed and said, "Guess it's never too late to learn something new." And the dream ended. That was 5 years ago. Now, I rarely dream of him, but when I do, they're just regular dreams, and we do normal things like in any dream I had of him when he was alive. Very rarely does he ever really speak to me outside his role in the dream.
Marcy.. I'm glad you and Bob had a chance to discuss his former beliefs in that first dream...My younger son had a vivid near-death experience when he had his first brain tumor. (At 22.)...Both of his grandmothers appeared to him and told him that he had to "go back." (That it wasn't his time yet.)...Plus, we all had unusual experiences after my older son died that increased our faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 11:09 PM

147 posts, read 230,237 times
I don't believe in spirits or ghosts but I will share my experiences. I too, have dreamed a few days or couple weeks in advance of more than 5 of my family members passing. Sometimes they will simply just say goodbye, I am leaving soon and then they pass away some time after that, some were sick already, some were not. Once, I dreamed that my step dad was in our rv with us and he hit his head on the windshield because someone of us tried to drive the rv tried down a huge set of steps and he had a bump on his head, a couple weeks later we were in a fender bender in our pickup and he hit his head on the windshield a little bit because he did not put his seatbelt on and then a few weeks later he passed but he always had heart issues anyways.
My 2 experiences with an "in person" type of thing was when my step sister had ALS disease, she knew she would die in a few months...we all knew how ill she was. We had quite a lot of time to visit and say our goodbyes, over an over again I would go and spend time with her and visit and watch movies, it was hard to talk much about her demise, so we would watch old movies and I would cook her favorite meals...and then she was getting worse and the whole family was called from out of state and far and wide to be with her (according to her wishes) at her side when she passed. Hospice are wonderful....they helped us through her whole illness....they roused us all up in the middle of the night, they actually knew this would happen for about 3 days in advance. It was so sad...I won't say much else other than to say that a couple minutes after she left us....I felt a warmth all around me (in winter in the night in Idaho), the warmth was all around my neck, upper back and shoulders, it was a very nice feeling, I felt a huge soft and warm hug from my sister....and I really felt her LIFT up from me and go up toward the ceiling, I did not see her, I felt her presence. I did not mention it to any of the 15+ family members in the room to this day but I really felt her and I was wondering if any of them felt her say goodbye to them too? Thanks for letting me share.....I don't talk about this to anyone that I know.
My second experience was when I was working at the very top of a very tall tower at an oil refinery as an electrician, I was up there in the wind, trying to solder small wires into a pin connector....I had a great view of the bay waters, nearby city where my step dad grew up and the whole refinery....I was having a tough time getting the solder iron hot enough in the cold so I was up there longer than I wished to be. But I looked around enjoying the view and noticed some unusual trees up on a hill to the west...they caught my eye because they were the tall skinny cyprus trees....blowing in the wind. I heard a loud whisper behind me (mind you this was a very skinny tower, only enough room on the straight ladder for one person and I was working alone...I swore it was my step dad who had passed away a few years earlier...he was saying get your hands out of your pockets and get to work! (he said that often when I worked for him in his grocery store)....I was thinking did I really hear that? Naw, it can't be....I looked behind me just to be sure and the cyprus trees off in the distance, swaying...okay then, who is coming up the ladder maybe? Nobody. Hmmmm. Those trees...when I get off work I am driving over there. So I did. The trees led me right to the very spot, the cemetary, where my step dad and his family are buried.....I stood at the family plot...and I looked between two rows of the trees....and there I could see the exact tower I had been at the top of!
Actually, I have a third experience, the night my mom passed away. I had been driving all day trying to make it to the hospital she was at, her husband was with her but I wanted to be there with her after getting word to hurry. I did not make it to her and so I no longer had to drive fast to get to her. I stopped for the night in a small Texas town in an old rv park....a storm kicked up after dark, they had been having a drought, but that night it rained and poured and there was a howling wind....somewhere in the rv park, probably a rest room, a door banged with each swirl of the howling wind, bang, bang, BANG!, whap!, bang! Oh my, I was by myself and it was the worst night of my life! I can't interpret what I think that was other than an unlocked door but it sure seemed like anger to me.

Last edited by barbiloo; 11-27-2014 at 11:21 PM..

Old 11-28-2014, 12:32 AM

102,202 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
it's all in your imagination, when a person dies the body is just the shell, why would they reappear with their body when their spirit or soul has left it's shell? why do ghosts need clothing?

people always say they saw a ghost wearing 1850's or vintage clothing of some type? why dont people ever see modern ghosts wearing modern styles? why is it always old fashion or old days? modern people die the same as they did back in the old days.
They do see modern ghosts wearing modern styles. Why would someone who died in 1970 be wearing styles from the 1800's? They wear whatever they used to wear when alive. It's said that they appear "with their bodies" so that people can recognize them better. Though they can also be recognized by their personalities. But the idea is that they want to communicate. So when an opportunity arises (a loved on goes to a medium, for example), they appear in an easily recognizable form, so the medium can convey what they look like, and the client will know right away by the details who it is, and that it's not fake.

Old 11-28-2014, 01:40 AM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Great thread! Some of your stories put tears in my eyes.

My brother, who was terminally ill, died almost 2 years ago. I visited him about 3 weeks before he passed. At the time, I really thought he would hang in there longer. The day he passed, when the phone call came, I was asleep. My husband told me that my brother was gone. I started to cry as I lay in bed. Then, I heard my brother say to me "I'm okay" and repeated it more emphatically.

My father always would say when you die, that's the end. However, when my mother died he admitted to having her wake him out of a sound sleep more than once loudly calling his name. This freaked him out to the point where he moved. I would dream about my mother and in the dreams she never said a word. That was strange because when she was alive, she was always running her mouth. Then one day my father said to me "I dream about your mother and she never talks in the dreams". Funny you should say that, Dad.

My maternal grandfather died when I was 4. A few weeks before I got married, he came to me while I slept. He was in total darkness and I could barely make out his face. He said to me "I will be at your wedding in spirit". A few weeks after the wedding, a friend and I went for a tea leaf reading. The reader said to me "Your grandfather was at your wedding."

Old 11-28-2014, 01:44 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,010,517 times
Some times it happen. My father had the same at the time my grand dad passed.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:44 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,298,815 times
I lost my sister to a drunk driver. She was killed on the way to a beach house with some friends of hers. Before she left I let her borrow a sweater from me and waved good bye never imagining that anything bad could happen. She was killed when a drunk crossed over the road. I was devastated as I was the last to see her alive. The next morning about 4 am I was aware that someone was standing at the foot of my bed...as I sat up it was my sister and I had forgotten that she had passed. I told her "what are you doing" and she looked at me and said "I came to say good bye to you", than she was gone. I will never forget...

Old 01-07-2015, 08:24 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,539,560 times
I have my bestest guy friend in the world "Chris", he died in 1994 of AIDS, and I was so sad when that happened. I love when he "visits" me in my dreams, although he doesn't come around that often.

My father died in 1976 and I was scared of his visions for years. Had nightmares of him coming up from the basement to "get me" (like a scary monster "get me"). I had a dream of him about 10 years ago, he was in an all white suit and told me to stop being scared of him and he loved me. I stopped having those nightmares after that.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:14 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
My daughter and I were living in my parents' home when my Dad died of a heart attack. A day or two later, my daughter, who was 8, said she was in my parents' room looking at something on my mother's dresser when she looked in the mirror and saw Grandpa smiling and he waved to her. She turned and of course he wasn't there. My niece also saw him that week.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:34 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My daughter and I were living in my parents' home when my Dad died of a heart attack. A day or two later, my daughter, who was 8, said she was in my parents' room looking at something on my mother's dresser when she looked in the mirror and saw Grandpa smiling and he waved to her. She turned and of course he wasn't there. My niece also saw him that week.
Shortly before my 12th b'day my little three old sister was killed in an auto accident. Three months later, right at my b'day, she appeared to me in the night. I woke up and saw her sitting on the end of my bed. She was dressed exactly as she had been for her funeral. She didn't SAY anything but just sat there smiling. I had been devastated by her death and always have thought she came to let me know she was "okay". I told my mom about it but she said I was probably just dreaming. I knew better and in later years my mom admitted that I very likely did see her.

I've never been 'visited' by any other person after they've died.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning