Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2015, 08:28 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I can so relate to you John--just happy when all of the Holidays are over. Today on my drive home from visiting with my son and his family which was very nice and a good time, I realized a big part of my problem is I am grieving "my" death. Who I have been for my entire life is no longer here...that makes me sad and scared. I'm sure that is a normal feeling but what a weird realization it was.......
I think it comes from a realization that now, suddenly, we are left alone to care for ourselves and will be facing situations by ourselves that will be coming up in the future. There is no longer the other half of the support team that we have relied on for many years. I saw this same feeling expressed by my mom right after my father died. I agree that grieving is as much for ourselves as it is for the departed. But don't worry, it's normal to be sad and scared at first. She was too. Then after some time passed and she started to adjust and take things a day at a time, she regained her confidence. You will too.

Old 12-27-2015, 05:51 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
I think you are right! I just have to learn patience.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:23 AM

218 posts, read 207,577 times
Yes, not having someone at one's back is a new and strange feeling. I was diagnosed with a inguinal hernia just before Christmas and was referred to a surgeon.. okay to call after the holidays as long as I am not having any pain - - pain indicates an emergency, go to ER.

The procedure is rather common and a same day procedure absent any complications, but one can not drive to/back from hospital. Never a problem, just make an appointment and my wife will drive me.. no longer. Then there's the dog, have to make arrangements in case a complication develops and I can't come home the same day. Independence is lost... and I think/know all the grief strain is bad for one's health. I can expect to die sooner due to the damage grief causes to my body and mind.

Well, how's that for an outlook on the coming New Year? Not very good, so I'll stop typing and try to focus on those many things from this year I so far have been unable to force myself to do.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:29 AM

You're doing great Jerry! Like me we forget to pat ourselves on our backs! I'm getting ready to drive in the rain for an hour to pick up my girlfriend who is coming in from CA today to Charlotte International Airport. I am full of so many emotions--excitement, fear, anxiety, anticipation all bundled up but it will work out. I wish my kitty was having a better day it would make it easier but tomorrow I will take him to see the vet and get his regular injections. Sadly with the holidays he is over due so it's hard on the both of us but we'll make it. Hope everyone is having a lovely Sunday!

Old 12-27-2015, 03:50 PM

Cyn,

Hope you and your friend, house guess, are back to your home safe.. and your animals are at resting and happy that you are home and have a friend with you.

Hope the real rough weather is passing west of you, we don't expect anything worse than light rain here.. but one can't take a weather forecast as 100% accurate.

It was misty out but I took Jasper for a walk in a nearby town, Clinton, which has a river running on one side with a dam and low (8' or so high) and 100' or so wide spillway. There were several fishermen at work.. didn't see any catches. Saw a couple dogs the size of horses, Great Danes (sp?) I'll guess. I picked Jasper up and held my hand over his eyes as we walked past. I think the size might have given him a heart attack.. seriously, he must be frighten by large dogs, say a yellow lab.. these were at least a foot taller and 40 pounds heavier than a big yellow lab.

All went well and we returned to the car later without any incidents - not even one poop, but lots of marks. He must have been dry long before he quite trying.

Jerry

Last edited by Jerry_NJ; 12-27-2015 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: made numbers about dam clearer.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:10 AM

Cute story about your walk.
We did get home but it was a very long day for both of us. Now I am getting ready to take whitey to the vet for his shots.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:20 PM

48,132 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Stopping by to say Good Night....I hope you sleep well and wake refreshed and rested.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:01 AM

Walk with Jasper down the street from my house we crossed paths with a miniature schnauzer, about the same size as Jasper.. maybe two or three pounds larger. That dog was also on a leash being walked by a woman I do not know.. and didn't even ask for a first name. In any case we let the dogs meet and the schnauzer was just full of play, "a puppy" I said, "no 10 years old" she said. Wow, what a fire ball for a 10 yo dog.

Interesting how dogs help one meet people. I may never see her again, but as she went up the street past my driveway I can assume she lives in the neighborhood north of me, on the other side of a green acres park (Echo Hill not large, about 100 acres). I have a long property line on the south side of the park. Funny, I used to think of the fine piece of property I have as "mine", especially after I paid off the mortgage. Now I realize I am a transient, just a care taker for the next owner(s). Then too the outrageous property taxes remind my it is mine only as long as I pay the quarterly ransom to Big Government.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:00 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Wanna say hello to all our regulars on this thread

Old 12-29-2015, 04:38 PM

48,132 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Wanna say hello to all our regulars on this thread
Hello Dude111; Happy New Year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.