Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2017, 06:39 AM

48,395 posts, read 22,101,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I was so tired from no sleep night before last that I slept until 6am thins morning. It was already light out!! I don't want to but I may have to resort to using one of those flea and tick medications on my dogs. I hate putting poison on them! But I don't want ticks either. We'll see how well I can get this under control.
It rained so hard yesterday while I was at work and I was really concerned about my dogs with the thunder and lightening but they seems to be okay although they had pulled their beds around the den!
Hope all of you enjoy your 4th weekend!!
Cyn..........I figure that the risk from tick bites and scratching and the misery factor off sets the poison factor. My dogs have never shown any ill effects. But then......I vacinated my kids. ( I no longer eat strawberries because of the poison factor............choose your poison)

Old 07-02-2017, 09:40 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,940,536 times
Cyn so glad you safely made it home and mostly had a good time.

Elko also happy you are enjoying your meetings.

I had a tick stuck to the back of my head the other day and got it off easily. I do not think it had been there long. It is what prompted me to clip off my dog so I can see them on him easier. He does spend most of his time in doors. Even so those ticks are opportunists. I do not seem to have fleas here and hope saying this does not bring them on.

So the painting of the out side of the house has started. I only did a little bit last night but it is enough to make me now committed. I am happy bout this. Hard to tell if I am doing the right thing yes. The Haint blue does not look great against the pale yellow the house is now and hoping when the body of the house goes to white the Haint blue will look amazing. I do love seeing the little bit of it through the front windows and seriously doing the living room hallway and master bedroom in it way further down the road. They do not need to be painted right now. It certainly could be a winter job but I suspect I will be burned out on painting by the time I paint the outside of the house. So off to painting while it is still cool outside.

Hope you all are enjoying your long holiday weekend.

Old 07-02-2017, 02:15 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,395,084 times
I vaccinated my kids and my dogs have always had protection for fleas and ticks but since Bubba has not been well it causes concern for me. I have heard some interesting things I am going to try before I decide.
Thanks Shades for the welcome home!
Off to the store to get a few needed items. It's hotter then hotter here today!! A good day to stay inside. Ha! When I get back I will except for the dogs walk!

Old 07-03-2017, 05:26 AM

Very quiet here lately....I hope that means everyone is doing well! I am going through that "Jet-lag" elston mentioned. I'm hoping today I will feel a bit more energetic! I think the hot humid weather doesn't help! Been sleeping good at night though!
Ellwood, I hope you are feeling a bit better. Take this one day at a time my friend!
When I took the dogs out for their evening walk the sunset was amazing--just beautiful. Made me stop and remember how much good is around us all! Then to top that the lightening bugs were darting all over--just a lovely evening!
I hope everyone has a blessed day!!

Old 07-03-2017, 06:09 AM

9,346 posts, read 16,740,536 times
Thanks CYN for your encouragement. I am planning to attend a Grief Meeting at Hospice this week. It's a start. Each day is it a push to get moving. My dog is the main reason I get up in the morning right now. AFA leg cramps, DH had them and doctor recommended he drink tonic water before going to bed which contains quinine. Seemed to work for him. He also used Highland Leg Cramp meds bought over the counter at the drug store.

I have been using NexGuard on Molly for several years and only ticks I find are dead ones.

Last edited by Ellwood; 07-03-2017 at 06:18 AM..

Old 07-03-2017, 06:34 AM

You're doing the right thing Ellwood by going to the Hospice grief meeting. I went though that attending several meetings and it does help a lot. They often have grief counselors also so perhaps you can inquire about that. One on one is so important. The groups help us to see we are not alone in what we are experiencing which I think is so important. My animals were my main reason for getting up too and pushing myself daily. I also spend time here as by trying to help others I found it helped me. What we share here does help others!!
I am going to get myself so tonic water and thank you for that idea. Can't hurt!! I have not had any more leg cramps since the other night but they are so painful I don't want to take any chances either!
My vet will give me medications for ticks and I may have to go that route but first I am going to try geranium rose oil. I have heard some really good reports about that--it's natural and you only use a couple of drops when you go out! I can use it on me and the dogs too so we'll see...

Old 07-03-2017, 10:09 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,940,536 times
Ellwood I really hope the meeting helps you. I have not been to any o far. It just seems everything is too far away and I do not drive at night.

Whelp I have started eating that elephant of painting the outside of my house. The front porch has lots of furniture on it so I have to do one end then shift everything down there and so on until I am done. That is fine. It breaks the over all job down into smaller bites. Waiting to do the second coat of white right now then the big shift will happen so I can move on. Two coats of the Haint Blue done and one coat of the white so far. The windows will have black trim. I want to finish the white on that wall first. Today I noticed there is NO front door trim. 9 years laving here and never noticed that. So I will leave the white metal frame around the door not painted as it would probably just peel. I am terrified and hoping to break this into small bites at a time I will not choke on it.I have lots of room in my fridge to hold the paint pans so I do not have to do a big clean up each time I stop painting. for the day. Just cover them well with plastic and they hold over nicely. It was 101 degrees yesterday afternoon so I really only have mornings and later evenings to paint. I was out there by 7:30 this morning. I will be napping this afternoon.

Hoping every one has a pleasant day today and those in hot country stay cool.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:47 PM

Shades--you are so crafty and busy! I admire you!

Old 07-03-2017, 09:18 PM

354 posts, read 424,521 times
Hi everyone,

It has been five years in widowhood. I have felt like Gumby, twisting in odd shapes to accommodate my surroundings. Grief is no longer and I am now discovering what my preferences are in life. I have discovered that I am not a joiner of any form. I am compassionate in my politics to the point I had to cut the cord on many, many friendships. I discovered I have a tendency to stick up for myself to the point I can come across rude. So, life is a learning curve and I have adjusted well considering that there are challenges for being a senior citizen, a woman and living alone.

Old 07-04-2017, 05:08 AM

I can totally understand Granite! It's finding yourself!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning