Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2017, 09:35 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,941,604 times

Advertisements

Hoping this will be a good day for all. I am going to take a break from painting today other than to paint the wee bit of black trim so the section I was working on last night so that will be done. Later this evening I might move the porch furniture now in the way over so tomorrow I can be ready to go at the painting again. I feel I need a ME day of R and R and maybe a little bit of pampering.

Old 07-06-2017, 04:10 PM

50,578 posts, read 64,596,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
Hoping this will be a good day for all. I am going to take a break from painting today other than to paint the wee bit of black trim so the section I was working on last night so that will be done. Later this evening I might move the porch furniture now in the way over so tomorrow I can be ready to go at the painting again. I feel I need a ME day of R and R and maybe a little bit of pampering.
Shades, every day is a ME day.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Shades, every day is a ME day.
Hahaha Well I guess you are right. And I am so selfishly enjoying it too. I even painted my toe nails, fingernail painting does not work for me, and shaved my legs. All 15 hairs on each leg. Now I think I will fix my cheese burger dinner. Then do some mosaic and finish my audio book. It is (was) 109 out there on my front porch. I think my laundry hanging is good and dry but it can wait until it cools down. I just showered and do not want to get all hot again. Inside house is 73 and neither cooler is turned on. So glad we paid for good insulation in our 6 inch walls.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:51 PM

7,079 posts, read 6,383,162 times
I wasn't sure where to put this but finally am putting my son's motorcycle up for sale. My sister's boyfriend had said he would fix it for resale but now says it would cost more to fix than I could sell it for so am selling it 'as is'.

It's been sitting in the pole barn for 12 years &, even though I paid over $6,000, I'll be selling it for $500 or less.

It is the last remaining vestige of my son & the only thing tying me to this area. Once it is gone I will feel free to move on.

It doesn't feel sad but instead feels freeing.

I once wrote my brother that, even though at the time it really strapped my resources, I am so glad I consigned for it & then ended up paying for it. It gave my son such joy & I am glad I let him have that joy.

Now I am hoping someone else will restore it & receive the same joy that he did.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I wasn't sure where to put this but finally am putting my son's motorcycle up for sale. My sister's boyfriend had said he would fix it for resale but now says it would cost more to fix than I could sell it for so am selling it 'as is'.

It's been sitting in the pole barn for 12 years &, even though I paid over $6,000, I'll be selling it for $500 or less.

It is the last remaining vestige of my son & the only thing tying me to this area. Once it is gone I will feel free to move on.

I once wrote my brother that, even though at the time it really strapped my resources, I am so glad I consigned for it & then ended up paying for it. It gave my son such joy & I am glad I let him have that joy.

Now I am hoping someone else will restore it & receive the same joy that he did.
Seems like the right place to put this to me. It is about sharing your grief. So sorry for the loss of your Son. And now his motorcycle. Your last few sentences say it all. And freeing to you is good. It was very painful to me to sell hubbys truck and snowmobile. But I knew I would have to do it and same here on the $$ part of it. took a huge hit.

I sincerely hope you find a place for you that will make you happy. Hugs

Old 07-06-2017, 11:42 PM

Thanks, soi. I'm targeting either Tennessee or Maine. I want a beautiful, peaceful place.

Minnesota has its beauty but I just don't want to be here anymore.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:19 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,583,168 times
Everyone's grief posts are triggering memories from my past in Edmonds, WA, growing up. It is a beautiful little town right on Puget Sound about 15 miles north of Seattle. We had a view of Puget Sound from our house. I had an upbringing that I would invite anyone to have. Lots of area ta ride a bike. I could play basketball anytime I wanted in our driveway. I bought a Honda Trail 70 motorbike when I was 13 and enjoyed riding in the University of Washington forested-lands next to our property. We'd hear the coyotes howl at night.

One really dark point was when I was about 13. My friend's Dad shot himself in the head. Apparently he was in debt so bad that he thought he couldn't get out of it. But my friend's Mom called our house and told us the news. And to be especially kind and caring to my friend. We were. He was my best friend. I've searched Facebook and on the net for him - asked old high school friends if they'd heard from him. No one can find him. He told me he was going to go to college at UPS in Tacoma and I also heard something about going to college in Hawaii. This was in 1978. Can't find him. Hope he's coping with everything as well as possible.

The second thing that left a big impact on me occurred around the same time - perhaps several months later than my friend's Dad killing himself. My older sister was only 14 and in August of 1972 she went with friends on a drive to Seattle or somewhere in the suburbs. The driver of the station wagon she was riding in was probably only 16. Anyway, he drove real fast on the Bothell-Maltby-Woodinville Road that night (one story we heard was that the boys were trying to scare the girls) and ran off the road and hit a tree. One teenage boy was killed and one teenage girl was killed. Everyone else (3-4 other people, including my older sister) was injured. My sister was on a mechanical ventilator for three months. She was hit hard on her head and received neurological damage. Now she needs a walker to walk and has had several hip operations. I believe she's had a shoulder operation. She's getting state aid and our Mom left her some money and my other two sisters oversaw the selling of her condo in Edmonds so they could put her in a Bothell apartment with her husband a few months ago. She's not too happy about it. Her new apartment doesn't have an oven or a stove! Just a microwave oven. And she loves ta cook, too. Her husband has advancing Alzheimer's disease at only 66 years of age! So they have proper fundage and they are cared for well where they are. I love her so and she loves me dearly. She is probably the biggest reason I tried ta go back to Washington state in 2015, besides our Mom passing away from cancer in May of 2015. I quit a good job in Alamogordo, NM, ta go back to Washington to help my sisters take care of her. And to just hug her. Our Dad passed away from cancer in 2004 while my wife and I were in Missouri. I was at college, retraining for my current career. I couldn't arrange ta get back to Washington in time. And Dad died. When I learned Mom was sick, I had ta go back and hug her. I did get back and she gave me the biggest hug. Mission accomplished. The job didn't work out and the Mrs. and I had to move to Kansas in July of 2015. And so it goes. Life is so full of...surprises, eh?

So I think about God a lot. I love God. And I have since learned about the depth of God's love for us. Short answer? God's love for us has no bounds. To give his Son in ranson for all of our sins is all the evidence I need that God dearly loves us all. Life can be so very, very painful. When I was maybe 12 or so Mom yelled at me ta go up to the top of our long driveway and "pick up Choo-Choo. He's been in an...accident." I walked up there and saw our little white Lhasa Apso puppy laying on the side of busy Olympic View Drive in Edmonds, not far from where our driveway meets that road. He had a small open wound in his head oozing blood. I'm not being specific to be gross and sickening. I'm saying this because that tore my heart open that day. Mom couldn't do it. She couldn't pick up her new puppy after that. I understand. Choo-Choo saw my younger sister across the street and wanted ta go across ta see her. My sister was oblivious ta the new puppy. She was blabbing to friends that were stopped on the side of the street. Some guy pulling a boat down to Edmonds couldn't stop in time and ran Choo-Choo over. I have never forgotten that incident. I put him in a shoebox and Dad buried him on our property when he got home from work.

Continue supporting each other on this thread. I love and deeply cherish my wife so very much. I can not imagine losing her. Those of you who have lost loved ones to death have gone through unimaginable grief and sorrow. I love you, I feel so sorry about what's happened, and I think that by sharing your grief you can try and mend the pain you are all feeling. Learning to move on, as has been mentioned, is more do-able than being able to ever get over losing a loved one.

"Gonna be a world of hurt, gonna be a world of hurt, gonna be a world...of hurt." ~ Patterson Hood, from the song 'A Blessing and a Curse' by The Drive-By Truckers. It's on the album 'The Dirty South'

Old 07-07-2017, 04:51 AM

48,417 posts, read 22,109,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post

You are free to move on.....wounded and aware of loss.....but moving on. Life is a process of moving on and hoping for the best. Your attitude about creating joy for someone else out of the things that brought your son happiness.....good for you.

I would choose southern Maine, but then again I did choose it....and moved to FL a few years later. I moved on.

Good Luck to you Meo

Old 07-07-2017, 05:28 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,399,529 times
So many good posts to read today. To all of you thank you! Each one brings important things to consider and think about!
Elko, sorry for your losses and happy you have been able to move on and now have a wonderful wife you dearly love!
Shades, good to hear you took a day off!
Meo, I still have a lifetime of my D/H's things that I find homes for now and then. I have so much.....I guess it just takes time. I hope you find that special home for your sons motorcycle. I'm sure that will bring you some joy!
Elston, had to laugh as I do remember your excitement about your move to Main and although you did love it there and had memories there you knew it was not for you now! I thought that about Calif after this last visit...I do miss it but going back is not always the right answer. Course the cost of living there is way out of my budget!
Will be leaving soon to my doctors appointment for my arm...please keep positive thoughts/prayers he will be able to do something to relieve this pain so I can work and start a normal life again! I work tonight too. Another long day.
I hope everyone has a blessed day!

Old 07-07-2017, 06:15 AM

Elston, did you not like Maine? Why Florida? I'm curious because I only have the resources to move one final time. I was/always have loved the thought of Florida but don't know if I could stand the heat. Please let me know your insights.

Elko , I don't know the situation with your son but I am sure the Lord will guide you.

Cyn, I sure hope they can figure out your pain & help you. Biofreeze helps me when I have pain but it's a topical relief, not a 'stop this pain forever' relief. Keep us informed.

I have to share that it was another sleepless night. Remembering my son & his love of the motorcycle, whom he named Mary, for me. I remembered his joy.

I tried to go to sleep & finally gave up. I've pretty much decided that I will even go down to $200 for the bike - if the guy shows love towards the bike. That would take care of the cost of the keys I had to have made, the license tabs & the insurance I've kept on it.

To me it's all about joy & if it could bring a person joy,then it's all worth it.

I went outside & watched the birds & they can sure teach a person about joy. What a beautiful serenade they give to the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning