Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2017, 06:41 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,379,584 times

Advertisements

I hope everyone enjoys their 4th of July celebrations while remembering what it is about!! Thank you to all who are and have served our country keeping us safe and free!!

Old 07-04-2017, 06:51 AM

48,325 posts, read 22,083,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite60 View Post
Hi everyone,

It has been five years in widowhood. I have felt like Gumby, twisting in odd shapes to accommodate my surroundings. Grief is no longer and I am now discovering what my preferences are in life. I have discovered that I am not a joiner of any form. I am compassionate in my politics to the point I had to cut the cord on many, many friendships. I discovered I have a tendency to stick up for myself to the point I can come across rude. So, life is a learning curve and I have adjusted well considering that there are challenges for being a senior citizen, a woman and living alone.
Congratulations..........self knowledge is all important and it sounds as if you have been on a journey of discovery....good for you. Sometimes the rough edges that can come across as rude.....can become a bit smoother....with use......and still not loose their effectiveness in self advocacy. Good For You!

Old 07-04-2017, 08:39 AM

Fourth of July:

The Fourth of July Memories:

The Fourth of July was one of my favorite holidays when I was growing up.....in my memory it is a montage of the parades and marching bands, firework displays and staying up after dark. Pop bottle rockets and sparklers, fireflies and camp fires, Round Pond and loons....are all part of my Fourth of July experience...it was all magical.

I have very Norman Rockwell "Americana" memories of my childhood 4th: decorating my bike with balloons and crepe streamers and riding with my buddies--the balloons attatched so they became noise makers against the spokes, and my mother in uniform (even white gloves) with her girl scout troop marching in the parade and later Dad on the band stand....saying a few words or giving a benediction....extolling that which is best in America.

The finale of the fireworks display was a huge depiction of an American flag set up on the ground....with wires and pine strapping.....but after dark when it was lit.....and sputtered and crackled into its full smokey red white and blue glory....we all stood like the little whoos down in whooville and sang the Star Spangled Banner with hands over our hearts.

Happy Fourth of July.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:02 AM

Thank you elston for such a wonderful share. Really stirred my imagination!

Old 07-04-2017, 09:41 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,559,519 times
Well, Mr. and Mrs. elkotronics have news - our son has come to live with us. He finally gave up on the desert in Arizona and drove the 1,200-odd miles over to Kansas City ta stay with us. He has ta get a job here, of course, and he will have to move out into his own apartment. He brings his 2007 Buick Park Avenue and his stuff stuffed into it, and a cat. His cat, Sinatra (he's a beautiful Siamese with gorgeous blue eyes) is also with him. We are keeping him downstairs until we can get him checked out at a vet here. He needs all his shots and a checkup, then he can mingle with our two dogs and two cats.

So we're really in a transitional state now! I am looking in to getting jobs in Grand Junction, CO, Richmond, IN, Weston, WV, Ogdensburg, NY, and St.Joseph, MO, right now, with no doubt more coming this week. Now that I've passed my big 'Ole Exam I will be getting some job offers soon. I don't know what that will mean about our son, he can't really come with us. But when we heard he and his cat were living in his car in AZ and he was jobless, we gave in and decided ta let him come home.

I found out the job in Richmond, IN, is 5-8's at night, just during Monday through Friday. Never heard of that before - 5-8 hour shifts per week - at late hours. I am passing on that one - I want to work 3-12 hour shifts a week. The job in Grand Junction offers that - and no scoring of studies. That one may be the one - and the Mrs. and I both like idea of living on the western slope of Colorado.

So we have our son with us. For a while.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:51 AM

Elko....your son coming home to live without a job and with a cat.............that is definately "a complication". I hear you when you say considering his circumstances..."we gave in and decided to let him come home". However I hope he realizes that the timing couldnt be worse. I guess "love will find a way". Good Luck.

Good Luck with the job hunt.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:32 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,937,578 times
Granite I am like you no desire to join in much. Staying home and painting and cleaning house today. I am not unhappy about this it is totally my choice. I was asked to go to the local BBQ. No Thanks. Good to hear you are no longer actively grieving. I know from previous experience we never totally forget but life accepting gets a little easier.

HA Cyn Thanks I painted another 1/3 of the porch ceiling this morning now cleaning house then washing down the walls that will be painted white on the porch. I do have two friends coming by to see my new catico back yard. They have not been here since I re-did everything. They are also big kitty people and have 27 kitties. Do an amazing job taking care of all of them too.

I had to stop to eat and coffee me. I hurried out this morning to get as much painted as I could.

Hoping every one has a great day and stays safe today.

Progress a peek of what is to come. This one 10 foot section is now done. I really like it and the porch feels so much lighter now.
Attached Thumbnails
Life Alone Now...Day by Day...Life Beyond Loss-7-3-17-one-bit-done.jpg  

Old 07-04-2017, 11:53 AM

Elko, always remember--we may not understand or know why but things happen for a reason! I've been stumped in the past as to why some things happen when they sure don't seem to fit into my situation but later I often understand. I hope the same works for you!

Old 07-04-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
Granite I am like you no desire to join in much. Staying home and painting and cleaning house today. I am not unhappy about this it is totally my choice. I was asked to go to the local BBQ. No Thanks. Good to hear you are no longer actively grieving. I know from previous experience we never totally forget but life accepting gets a little easier.

HA Cyn Thanks I painted another 1/3 of the porch ceiling this morning now cleaning house then washing down the walls that will be painted white on the porch. I do have two friends coming by to see my new catico back yard. They have not been here since I re-did everything. They are also big kitty people and have 27 kitties. Do an amazing job taking care of all of them too.

I had to stop to eat and coffee me. I hurried out this morning to get as much painted as I could.

Hoping every one has a great day and stays safe today.

Progress a peek of what is to come. This one 10 foot section is now done. I really like it and the porch feels so much lighter now.
The resolution and acceptance is what I hope for everyone .... not getting over....but getting on.

I love your porch....especially the "haint blue ceiling" Not sure I could distinguish between "haint blue" and virgin Mary blue"

Old 07-04-2017, 05:01 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,559,519 times
Elko, always remember--we may not understand or know why but things happen for a reason! I've been stumped in the past as to why some things happen when they sure don't seem to fit into my situation but later I often understand. I hope the same works for you!

I agree, cyn. The timing is bad on this one - I am going to have to hope and pray on this one, for sure. His cat has now disappeared when we got home tonight. Here we go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning