Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2017, 10:22 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times

Advertisements

Thanks...smile!

Old 12-27-2017, 10:38 AM

48,131 posts, read 22,004,457 times
We just received a surprise box from Japan.

Masahiro's sister, "Misuzu" (her name means" Little Bell" put together a New Year's "care package" for us, filled with foodstuffs and New Years decorations.....What Fun!

Masa has been wishing he had some "Mochi" (not the desert kind...but the kind he cooks in his ramen noodle bowl); we also got a variety of ramen and udon and somen noodles and curry and Japanese favorite red pepper spice.

She included two snowmen made of the sweet desert mochi cakes and a little wreath ornament honoring the sacred trees; she also included a package of pickled mustard leaves which we love.

Oh some lovely packs of stationary and envelopes and new hachi (chopsticks). We had such a good time opening the box.

In Japanese traditon all the objects are now on our family altar to show the ancestors....(except the mochi ..... that Masa is cooking in a noodle bowl for his lunch. )

Happy New Year everyone "akema****e omedetō gozaimasu" I can't imagine why they censored my New Years greeting Which means 'Congratulations on the Dawning of the New Year"

PS i did figure it out....the japanese word contains the letters S H I- T E

Last edited by elston; 12-27-2017 at 11:50 AM..

Old 12-27-2017, 11:30 AM

How fun and so sweet! Enjoy!!

Old 12-28-2017, 04:09 AM

Very cold here today---17degrees plus wind. It is winter but......
Be happy to see the new year and get past the holidays. Seems so many are struggling...sigh..
Hope your day is blessed!

Old 12-28-2017, 09:25 AM

815 posts, read 981,046 times
17 is way too cold. 45 here now, but will dip into the upper 20's by New Years day. My family in IL reported a temperature of -10 degrees a few days ago. Do not miss that at all! So happy we live in Florida now.

Try to stay warm, cyn. Spring will be here before we know it!

Old 12-28-2017, 01:17 PM

I am converting turkey bones and carcass into turkey soup...it smells wonderful. I had a good amount of white meat left..but my Dh is turkeyed out .... so I put it all in my soup. It will be good! I wish I could share it with you who are in colder areas.....it will certainly take the chill off and warm you from the insides out.

Last edited by elston; 12-28-2017 at 02:39 PM..

Old 12-28-2017, 04:24 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I am converting turkey bones and carcass into turkey soup...it smells wonderful. I had a good amount of white meat left..but my Dh is turkeyed out .... so I put it all in my soup. It will be good! I wish I could share it with you who are in colder areas.....it will certainly take the chill off and warm you from the insides out.
We had that yesterday on a cold rainy day. It was just right. I have enough to freeze for later.

Old 12-29-2017, 04:30 AM

Sounds so good! Joyce has been making great dinners and I try to take her out to breakfast to this small local diner. The price is right and the food is good. It makes for a good start to the day and I am really trying to eat more. I have also been reading about this vitamin called "Algeacal" for bone repair...has anyone heard anything about this?
Very cold here...feel really badly about Joyce walking the dogs in the early am so I bought her more long underwear. I just had to help her stay warmer. I tried walking the dogs yesterday but it still hurts even when it's the left arm pulled. Just going to take time---
Hope your day is lovely!

Last edited by cynwldkat; 12-29-2017 at 05:00 AM..

Old 12-29-2017, 09:03 AM

815 posts, read 981,046 times
Good morning all.
Cyn, does Joyce like the long underwear? I wore them all the time when we lived up north and they really did make a difference in keeping me warm.
Looks like the entire country will have low temps for the next couple of weeks. It might even get chilly where you are, elston

I don't have to walk my dogs because the yard is all fenced, but for some reason several of my dogs seem to prefer that I watch them do their "business", especially first thing in the morning, so I have to stand outside and supervise. Brrrrrr. Luckily, the rest of the day they let themselves in and out through the doggie doors.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybygolly View Post
Good morning all.
Cyn, does Joyce like the long underwear? I wore them all the time when we lived up north and they really did make a difference in keeping me warm.
Looks like the entire country will have low temps for the next couple of weeks. It might even get chilly where you are, elston

I don't have to walk my dogs because the yard is all fenced, but for some reason several of my dogs seem to prefer that I watch them do their "business", especially first thing in the morning, so I have to stand outside and supervise. Brrrrrr. Luckily, the rest of the day they let themselves in and out through the doggie doors.
I am sitting here in shorts and T shirt and barefoot.....in the AM we comment that its chilly but I still open the sliders. I havent seen it get to freezing in the 5+ years we have been here......one night there was a frost warning....but it was a false alarm.

I dont expect it to get below mid forties....with daytime highs of at least 80.

But I am cooking a pork shoulder in the oven for 6 hours (250*)...just like it was really winter. Tonight will be pulled pork and green beans and taters or rice. That suddenly sounds pretty southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.