Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2017, 06:00 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,316,787 times

Advertisements

Today is a day of more worry for me...I went to my orthopedic Dr yesterday, got a shot in my shoulder and now he said it may need to be replaced. He must has an MRI to see the extent of the damage. There is no way I can afford the surgery much less take the time off from work for recovery. Time to pull up my big girl panties and figure this out! Wish me luck with that!
Have a lovely day!

Old 10-25-2017, 06:06 AM

48,143 posts, read 22,010,341 times
Cyn...............we could see this coming. I don't have advice. You will have some hard choices to make.....it seems the current situation cant continue.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:48 AM

I did look into the temporary disability and only 5 states have that..not NC. I did make a submission for an MRI and then I can find out what my final bill will be after my insurance. I also contacted my girlfriend from high school who lives in Colorado and she still says she will help me out by coming out and staying with me. I'm working on this.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I did look into the temporary disability and only 5 states have that..not NC. I did make a submission for an MRI and then I can find out what my final bill will be after my insurance. I also contacted my girlfriend from high school who lives in Colorado and she still says she will help me out by coming out and staying with me. I'm working on this.
why does it have to be "temporary disability" What does your doctor think....can he help you get permanent ...go see legal aide is my advice. I know you want to think you will be going back to work....but probably not unloading pallets of heavy bags of pet food. I would be thinking perm. or partial.....probably something like "light work no lifting over 5 lbs." But I think you will qualify for total and permanent disability.

https://www.disabilitysecrets.com/di...-carolina.html

Last edited by elston; 10-25-2017 at 10:02 AM..

Old 10-25-2017, 09:52 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,501,432 times
I agree, look in to permanent disability, especially with the cost of the surgery being prohibitive, cyn. I wish you all the best with this, we did see it coming. Still, best wishes going out to you!

Old 10-25-2017, 10:24 AM

Guess I was letting my positive feelings outshine the negative reality on this one! Just kept thinking I could do it!

Old 10-25-2017, 10:42 AM

I notice online that there are lots of disability attorneys in your state. I would try to avoid them.....obviously, they are after the fee. maybe start with Legal assistance.

Cyn I see people on Judge Judy show all the time who are collecting SSI or disability.....many of whom are obviously whole and hardy.....who are scamming the system. You have a legitimate disability and you have been trying to keep working even when it is aggravating your condition. You NEED and deserve some help from somewhere. I suspect your options may be limited if your DH or yourself didn't pay into social security....but You need to explore every option Please call legal aid and see if they can give you direction. Or look for "pro bono" legal assistance pro bono means free....and some established attorneys do some pro bono work.

I went on line to check out legal aid in NC......they say that they dont represent new applicants for gov. benefits. You may have to really push hard to get heard. https://www.disabilitysecrets.com/di...-carolina.html

Is your doctor's office able to provide any help with an appropriate referral ?

I know you feel you need the house and property because of your animals......but you may need to think long and hard about this. I only say it because it is one of the factors that ties your hands and limits your options. I dont know much about this and I dont know who can advise you.

Last edited by elston; 10-25-2017 at 10:54 AM..

Old 10-27-2017, 06:39 AM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
Guess I was letting my positive feelings outshine the negative reality on this one! Just kept thinking I could do it!
I try to not think about about my shoulder--the old, torn, rotator cuff and the partial dislocation.

I haven't yet had surgery because an older experienced Army doc told me he wouldn't touch it unless it was the last resort.

The old time doc I had in the 1960s, mom worked for him, said to never open anything up if you don't have to. On the other hand, our friend who had two hip replacements by the time he was 40, made 2 English Channel attempts. Almost, but not quite.

I'm certainly no expert, but after a couple of major abdominal surgeries after an accident when I was 14, I'm never standing in line for that **** again.

This certainly isn't advise, just food for thought.

My son got a new job 6 months ago. He works for a company which builds and refurbishes ambulances. It's a total pain--sometimes literally. He sent me a picture of the burns he got from his last welding stint. He was wearing a T-shirt. ...as the day is long.

The sweetest thing I ever heard him say is that his work will save lives. We all want those lights, sirens, and oxygen.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:53 AM

You are such a love Geraina! Thank you so much for that post! It's the first smile I've had in days! And thank you wonderful son for the work he does. He does help save lives! I am going to have the MRI and just hear the doctor out but am really considering not doing the sugery depending on the MRI. Just trying very hard to stay positive!

Old 10-27-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
You are such a love Geraina! Thank you so much for that post! It's the first smile I've had in days! And thank you wonderful son for the work he does. He does help save lives! I am going to have the MRI and just hear the doctor out but am really considering not doing the sugery depending on the MRI. Just trying very hard to stay positive!
I have been watching for you and worrying. When you get the results of the MRI.....talk to Dr about alternatives, about disability, any referals to help with your financial crises if you cant work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.