Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2017, 08:13 AM

48,132 posts, read 22,004,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Good morning! Does anyone know anything about bone density? Because my family doctor called and said I have a bone density of -T3. He says I need to start treatments. Just curious, made me nervous.Thanks for any input. I am getting around better today thanks to my friend. So much to do, so little energy. Joyce says it hasn't even been a week yet! Hope everyone has a blessed day!
I should know more than I do because I have the same issue......the doctor put me on Calcium supplements with vitamin D supplements to help with the absorption of the Calcium. Green leafy vegetables such as collards are dietary sources of calcium also.....not just dairy....and sardines with the bones ; My bone density decreased to a significant level due to my cancer treatments.

"A T-score of -1.0 or above is normal bone density. Examples are 0.9, 0 and -0.9. A T-score between -1.0 and -2.5 means you have low bone density or osteopenia. Examples are T-scores of -1.1, -1.6 and -2.4. A T-score of -2.5 or below is a diagnosis of osteoporosis."

So based on this you have significantly low bone density . Ask your doctor about treatment options and if calcium supplements will help (dosage?0

Old 12-18-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Good morning! Does anyone know anything about bone density? Because my family doctor called and said I have a bone density of -T3. He says I need to start treatments. Just curious, made me nervous.Thanks for any input. I am getting around better today thanks to my friend. So much to do, so little energy. Joyce says it hasn't even been a week yet! Hope everyone has a blessed day!
I should know more than I do because I have the same issue......the doctor put me on Calcium supplements with vitamin D supplements to help with the absorption of the Calcium. Green leafy vegetables such as collards are dietary sources of calcium also.....not just dairy....and sardines with the bones ; My bone density decreased to a significant level due to my cancer treatments.

A T-score of -1.0 or above is normal bone density. Examples are 0.9, 0 and -0.9. A T-score between -1.0 and -2.5 means you have low bone density or osteopenia. (This is what I have)
Examples are T-scores of -1.1, -1.6 and -2.4. A T-score of -2.5 or below is a diagnosis of osteoporosis.

So based on this you have significantly low bone density . Ask your doctor about treatment options and if calcium supplements will help (dosage?)

Old 12-18-2017, 11:38 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
Thanks Elston

Old 12-18-2017, 06:05 PM

354 posts, read 415,175 times
I have severe osteoporosis, I have fractured 11 bones in six years. I just fracture my L3, it is the fourth fracture in my back. I have taken a few osteoporosis drugs and my Doctor Is trying for a third that costs $3300 a month in the states but my insurance probably will not opt for that. I can get the drug in Canada for $1200 a month. My back and hips are -3.5. I take mega vitamins for it but obviously it doesn't work. Just avoid sugar, flours, caffeine, and alcohol.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:55 AM

Good Morning cyn and Joyce and all who stop by. Hope you have a good day. We had a neighbor stop by with Christmas cookies for us yesterday. I was glad that I had made some Chex snack mix and put it in quart ball jars and I still had one to give her. I think I better make some cookies today....its nice to have something on hand for unexpected moments like that.

We had another neighbor stop over and she gifted us with a colorful garden stepping stone that her clients had made at their workshop/ rehab center. She is a speech therapist and her clients are intelectually and developmentally delayed adults. The stone has a painting of a palm tree on it....and it is bright and beautiful in a new garden we just put along our front walk. It is fuchsia and aqua and green and brown.....it really brightens up the walkway. That was her thank you gift to us for a kindness we did for her a few weeks ago.

I so enjoy our neighborhood.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:11 AM

I keep stopping back hoping that there will be an update this morning.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:29 AM

I have to go for a drs appointment.....will stop by later today.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:41 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,835 times
My doctor's treatment was to put me on Boniva. It's an awful drug. Be very careful and do a lot of googling before you take it. It made me very sick and there are thousands of negative reviews on it. Your T scores put you into the osteoporosis category I think. Do a lot of research on it. Same on Fosamax and Prolia. I started taking supplemental vitamins D and calcium along with weight bearing exercise. I don't know if it's helping but the Boniva treatment was worse than the osteo cure. Here's a link for you to check out:
Boniva Side Effects - Save Our Bones

Boniva Side Effects. ... there are over 1400 detailed patient reviews for BONIVA. The vast majority of the reviews are negative and give specific symptoms that were ...

Getting old's a real trip isn't it? Hope your recuperation goes well.

Old 12-19-2017, 04:28 PM

I went to that site and spent sometime reading the comments. That site should be shut down. It is worse than a snake oil carnival show. I dont know that i would take Boniva...but I sure wouldnt want to scare someone out of following their doctors recommendation!

Old 12-19-2017, 08:29 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
My doctor's treatment was to put me on Boniva. It's an awful drug. Be very careful and do a lot of googling before you take it. It made me very sick and there are thousands of negative reviews on it. Your T scores put you into the osteoporosis category I think. Do a lot of research on it. Same on Fosamax and Prolia. I started taking supplemental vitamins D and calcium along with weight bearing exercise. I don't know if it's helping but the Boniva treatment was worse than the osteo cure. Here's a link for you to check out:
Boniva Side Effects - Save Our Bones

Boniva Side Effects. ... there are over 1400 detailed patient reviews for BONIVA. The vast majority of the reviews are negative and give specific symptoms that were ...

Getting old's a real trip isn't it? Hope your recuperation goes well.
I sounds awful. I wouldn't take it, but I belong to the more is less crowd.

Have yourself a merry little Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.