Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2018, 06:30 AM

815 posts, read 981,046 times

Advertisements

Rained here yesterday and today. We really need it, our pond is down several feet. It does make a mess on my white floor tiles with all the doggie footprints, but that's why mops were invented, right? With as many dogs as we have in and out all day, my cleanliness standards can't be too strict. But I do like a neat and tidy home. Still, it's worth the extra work for the unconditional love of my fur babies

Old 02-26-2018, 06:38 AM

48,132 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
That's interesting about the eggs elston. How long do you steam them? I think a hard boiled egg in the morning is a good idea! Maybe a banana with peanut butter for a side? I have just got to get myself back into a meal routine!
The meeting was as expected, nothing really new just the basics. I didn't get home until 8:30pm and it was raining--not my favorite was to drive but at least I did get paid for going!
Rain today again and a bit cooler today!
Have a lovely day one and all!
Steam for 12 mins and then cool in ice water. https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...gs-recipe.html

It is nice because they peel so easily and they don't get that green sulferous ring around the yolk. We'd been doing them wrong for all those years. lol

Old 02-26-2018, 07:14 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybygolly View Post
Good night, elston
Cyn, I don't have any advice, but I truly understand your anxiety. The older I get (I am 56) the worse my anxiety is. It frustrates me, because it has mainly been in the last 5 years that it seems my worries and fears are growing every day. I don't much like feeling this way. The only thing that seems to help for me, is if I just keep myself really busy. But my mind still races when I lay down to go to sleep at night, thinking of all the "what if" this or that happens.
The older I get, the less capable I feel of handling "life", which makes no sense.
Maybe we just get worn out from handling so much throughout our life that we've reached our limit?
But we just have to keep plugging along. No other viable options, really.
Focus on the positive, and try not to let our worries suck the day to day joy out of our life.

I just turned 63 and have the same anxieties Molly. My husband passed in 2010 and while I am doing much better than I was a few years ago, when I try to go to sleep at night my mind starts going into overdrive. I started watching TV in the bedroom (something I never did before) but I keep it very low and on a timer so it shuts itself off after a set amount of time. That way my mind is not thinking as much. I too try and keep busy during the day. My house has never looked so clean and I just started doing something with the front yard.

Forget me trying to nap during the day. No matter how tired I might be I can never fall asleep because of the anxiety. I also understand the feeling of "handling life". Some days it's just overwhelming. Do you take anything for the anxiety?

Old 02-26-2018, 07:48 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I just turned 63 and have the same anxieties Molly. My husband passed in 2010 and while I am doing much better than I was a few years ago, when I try to go to sleep at night my mind starts going into overdrive. I started watching TV in the bedroom (something I never did before) but I keep it very low and on a timer so it shuts itself off after a set amount of time. That way my mind is not thinking as much. I too try and keep busy during the day. My house has never looked so clean and I just started doing something with the front yard.

Forget me trying to nap during the day. No matter how tired I might be I can never fall asleep because of the anxiety. I also understand the feeling of "handling life". Some days it's just overwhelming. Do you take anything for the anxiety?
In times when I am anxious about things, I have learned to focus on “the now”, and not “the what if’s”. Today, or right this minute, I am fine. Today, I am healthy. Today, I have enough __________. Do the same thing tomorrow. At the same time, I focus on counting my blessings, no matter how small. It seems to help.

You are right about scrubbing something when you’re anxious. One time, when my son was about to enter the Army, I painted the whole inside of my house, LOL.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:50 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
I'm going to try that egg idea elston. Thank you!
Molly, I have white linoleum in my mud room where we come in after walks at the back door and with NC's red dirt there is no keeping it looking decent so I've just done my best and have learned to live with some of it. It saddens me so much because my home use to be so clean and well kept and since I lost my husband and of course my shoulder problems my house has had to take a back seat. Drives me wacko! Course no one really sees it but me and the dogs but sine "I" see it it still causes me anxiety!
Chilur1228, i realize you question was directed towards Molly but I will share that as much as I hate it I do need to take Ativan for my anxiety. I was told by my doctor they were the least addictive but now realize they are all very addictive and have been cutting back but it is hard. I do not want a pill to run my life! My mind races like yours and it is miserable. I think staying busy is the best medicine. Once my shoulder heals thoroughly maybe I can once again do that!
Great advise as usual gentlearts and I do try to do that but it is not always very easy! I think it is a learning process.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:59 AM

48,132 posts, read 22,004,457 times
It was good to read today's posts.....today it sounds like a community of healing and support; and not what cyn calls her "pitty potty" (or party) whichever it is?????

I have to mention it because I firmly believe that when you reward positive behavior.....it increases! Way to go ladies.

Last edited by elston; 02-26-2018 at 09:03 AM..

Old 02-26-2018, 08:27 AM

I was prescribed Ativan (Lorazepam) 15 years ago. At one time I was up to 3 mg a day. I have cut back very gradually to 2 mg a day an hour before bed but they are highly addictive, a fact I wish my doctor would have told me about when I first started taking them for severe panic attacks.

When I get despondent, I try to remember how blessed I am compared to many others and then I clean some more. :-)

Old 02-26-2018, 09:34 AM

Thank you again elston! And I agree with chiluvri1228--I wish I had been told just how addictive these are. I was also on 3 mg a day but am now down to 2.5. Now for most that doesn't sound like much of a reduction but you'd be amazed how hard just that small amount was. I was down to 2 but my anxiety got pretty bad again so they told me to try the other half in the afternoon. I take one in the morning, 1/2 in the afternoon and 1 at bed time. Yesterday I for the afternoon dose and sleeping was difficult last night. I guess it builds up in your body?
Yes, like you in reality, when I look around, I see how blessed I am compared to so many others I try to see that and be happy about what I have not what I don't have! You're so lucky you are able to clean---I am so limited for now. But that too will change with time!

Old 02-27-2018, 04:35 AM

Cooler here today. More like normal for this time of year!
Not sure why but was very anxious at work last night. Several of our customers were sharing some sad pet stories and I guess it just got to me. Was very happy to get home!
Hope everyone has a blessed day!!

Old 02-27-2018, 05:42 AM

You too Cynwldkat! I only work two days a week, Tuesday & Wednesday for now but fortunately I don't go into until 11 a.m. so I get to relax over my morning cup of tea and get on C.D. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.