Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 04:24 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,469,913 times

Advertisements

My mother died from pancreatic cancer in August 25 years ago and my father willed himself to join her a bit over a year later. It's never easy but I also never dwelled upon it. Neither of them have ever "come to me" but my mother appears to have channeled through my wife (they never met; second marriage) to correct a misunderstanding I had about the last thing she said to me before she died. I was much relieved.

Marcy, remember the love but don't let the loss consume you. Death is merely the last act in the drama of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 03:17 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,570,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
My mother died from pancreatic cancer in August 25 years ago and my father willed himself to join her a bit over a year later. It's never easy but I also never dwelled upon it. Neither of them have ever "come to me" but my mother appears to have channeled through my wife (they never met; second marriage) to correct a misunderstanding I had about the last thing she said to me before she died. I was much relieved.

Marcy, remember the love but don't let the loss consume you. Death is merely the last act in the drama of life.
My dad died 8 months after my mom, who died Jan 22, 1989 (Super Bowl Sunday) early in the morning. He basically willed himself to death, too. Then losing two of my siblings, my husband and this past January, my oldest sibling. I'm very familiar with death and grieving.....

Old 10-11-2014, 01:02 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,187,808 times
Today is the 10th anniversary of my Dad passing. I can't believe it has been so long. Seems like it just happened. I miss that man so much. He was my rock in this world.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:48 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,570,310 times
Dads are pretty special, and I was definitely a Daddy's girl.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:56 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,703,557 times
It will be a year on October 22 since my mom died. I thought I was okay with it all, then two days ago I spent most of the day crying and missing her more than I have this entire past year. It seemed to come out of nowhere. She was elderly and disabled and I was as ready as a person can be to lose a loved one. Still, the grief can appear and be overwhelming when you least expect it.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:46 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
It will be a year on October 22 since my mom died. I thought I was okay with it all, then two days ago I spent most of the day crying and missing her more than I have this entire past year. It seemed to come out of nowhere. She was elderly and disabled and I was as ready as a person can be to lose a loved one. Still, the grief can appear and be overwhelming when you least expect it.
I lost my mother a year ago on October 31st. While I didn't see her very often, I spoke with her often. I still do.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:10 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,523,105 times
My dad died over 36 years ago when I was very young. I can only wonder how different and probably better things would have been had he lived. I've only had two dreams of him that I can remember - in the second he told me I have to leave the city where I live. As much as I would like to, circumstance have not allowed it, although I know without a doubt living here is dragging me down...

Old 10-16-2014, 11:18 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,260,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
My dad died over 36 years ago when I was very young. I can only wonder how different and probably better things would have been had he lived.
I have wondered the very same thing.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:47 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,210,516 times
there are two births in life both very traumatic

the first is coming into this world, the second is leaving ,

life is a gift, everyday is a gift, be thankful we are here now and even in memory we had those magical times

the light at the end of the tunnel is,,,you will get to see them again when you pass over

im sure your dad would be very proud of you- im sure he is, im a believer they still see us
on days you really miss him- talk to him like he is still with you

also here's a tidbit, we are the result (hereditary)of all the generations and families before us - we never knew our great great great great grandparents, yet without them, we wouldn't be here ,
and im willing to bet we have an easier lifestyle than most of our ancestors before us

I believe we should honor all the family before us that sacrificed so we could be here today - and to honor them is to live life to its potential of light not darkness

Old 10-19-2014, 12:51 PM

277 posts, read 518,914 times
My father died 46 years ago and my mom died 36 years ago ... the hardest one was my older brother who died 6 years ago .. I visit the cemetary on his birthday and bring flowers .. this year was probably the last year because it's just so far and I am afraid to drive ... my parents are buried together about 1800 miles away so I never visit .. I can still hear their voices ... I saved all the messages my older brother left on my answering machine and every once in a while I play it .. some of them put a smile on my face ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning