Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 11:20 PM

111 posts, read 112,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You're welcome - I hope it helps the OP!
Thank you for your story, it gives me hope. I have a similar circumstance although I am just about to sign my papers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 07:37 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,597,850 times
I was two weeks shy of 29 when my husband passed away. The next ten years was pretty numb and I did nothing at all with my life except survive. But at 39, with some help from a friend I started trying again. For me it started with taking up a martial art. This was so far outside of my comfort zone and just not anything like the person I thought I was. But my friend thought it might help me and I was pretty desperate.My life was going downhill fast and I was starting to give up on ever having a chance to be happy. So I walked in the dojo one day in may 2009 and began a journey that has led me to a journey of self discovery like I never expected. This led me to find a new circle of wonderful friends and they provided support that I was lacking and a lot of encouragement and good advice. This led to me discovering a great new career and getting a nice upgrade in my standard of living. I have become more assertive, more confident and independent. This spring I will be taking my first degree black belt test. My horse and I will spend many more hours out on the trails and I a looking forward to a second year at a job that I love and life in the apartment that I always dreamed of having. While I still miss my late husband greatly I am also very glad that my life has become what it is today.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:14 AM

428 posts, read 645,257 times
Thanks for all of your stories, they give me hope too.

I woke this morning energized and eager to accomplish some things, so I think planning this retreat time is just what I need to get moving again.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:10 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,624,522 times
Quote:

For me it started with taking up a martial art.
This is interesting. After my divorce I was tired of being passive and doing everything the now Ex told me to do (yes, he controlled everything I did and my schedule had to be built around him which meant no time for sports and exercise), I took up a martial art too. Been doing it for ten years and love it, even though I am ten years older than everyone in my class, but it has been how I survived the last ten years and how I reinvented myself after having two losses in the same year 2007. To the OP, keep us posted...please.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:19 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,567,568 times
We aren't divorced but I'm about to lose my husband of 35 years. I don't think he'll live long enough to get to 36 and I'm starting to think about what my future is going to be. I love the beach as you might see above and I think I'd like to live closer to it. That means at this point in my life I'd be about 3 hrs from my adult children. I'm not sure I want to be that far away from them, however, this man has held me back from so many things over those 35 years that I am determined to live my own life for once! Maybe it will be better for our children if I do that from a distance?

Old 07-27-2015, 06:18 AM

428 posts, read 645,257 times
Wanted to update and let you know that Friday I graduated from one of the best TESOL courses available.
(teaching English to speakers of other languages).

Still figuring out my next step, which is to focus on regaining my health and stamina.

I am spending a zillion hours reasearching and hoping to find somewhere I can learn the best way to heal while tutoring .
My adventure calls me!!

Old 07-27-2015, 09:21 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,624,522 times
Good to hear from you the OP and wondering where you will go next! I'm reinventing myself already - switched careers, moved back to a city I used to live in a decade ago, and now trying to relearn French that I lost over the last several decades and trying to build relationships with French speaking friends here in the US and in Canada. Maybe I'm finally in the right direction, I hope.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:42 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,188,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suz1023 View Post
Wanted to update and let you know that Friday I graduated from one of the best TESOL courses available.
(teaching English to speakers of other languages).

Still figuring out my next step, which is to focus on regaining my health and stamina.

I am spending a zillion hours reasearching and hoping to find somewhere I can learn the best way to heal while tutoring .
My adventure calls me!!
I am so excited for you! Please keep us posted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning