Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 07:30 AM

428 posts, read 645,889 times

Advertisements

It seems dumb now, but in the dozen years of my husband's illness it never occurred to me that he'd die while I was young enough to start over.

So I find my self in a very strange, scary and wonderful place suddenly, and am wondering yet again what I want to be when I grow up.
I have no one to care for but myself for the first time since I was a teenager, not even a pet.
I can eke out a year without working, and am thinking maybe I should do something entirely different--but what?!
My own version of Eat, Pray Love I guess.
I think I want to go back to school to learn something useful and portable. Or maybe go volunteer on a farm or something somewhere.
Teach English as a second language?
Learn to scuba dive finally?
Start a small business or six?

How on earth does one decide when there are so many dang options?!!!

For those who've been there or may get here, I'd love a discussion on topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 08:39 AM

16,196 posts, read 10,873,014 times
It takes a while to decide and then it takes longer to put the plan into place...and I'd suggest you take your time and be careful making decisions, especially in the first year. There is a lot to consider. Think about what you are happy with in your life and make a list of things the you do not want to change...the positives. You will want to incorporate those things in your plan and maybe one of those favored things will lead you to a new reinvented future.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:07 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,538,188 times
Go for it, girl!!!

Old 12-31-2014, 12:13 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,294,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suz1023 View Post
It seems dumb now, but in the dozen years of my husband's illness it never occurred to me that he'd die while I was young enough to start over.

So I find my self in a very strange, scary and wonderful place suddenly, and am wondering yet again what I want to be when I grow up.
I have no one to care for but myself for the first time since I was a teenager, not even a pet.
I can eke out a year without working, and am thinking maybe I should do something entirely different--but what?!
My own version of Eat, Pray Love I guess.
I think I want to go back to school to learn something useful and portable. Or maybe go volunteer on a farm or something somewhere.
Teach English as a second language?
Learn to scuba dive finally?
Start a small business or six?

How on earth does one decide when there are so many dang options?!!!

For those who've been there or may get here, I'd love a discussion on topic.
You are in for a treat.

I'm sorry about your loss, and I bet you've had a rough decade or so - but this is not what the thread's about, so I won't dwell on that.

I got divorced when I was about 40. I had been married since I was twenty. I hadn't even actually ever dated a real MAN - LOL.

The same year, my youngest graduated from high school and chose to move into an apartment with a group of buddies (his choice, not mine but it all worked out). So - I was truly foot loose and fancy free.

I knew I needed to get my head together and really find out who I was and what I wanted to do. Like you, I was able to take a year off work basically, so that's what I did, and it was a good thing because my mother had a stroke just a few weeks after my divorce and my parents needed my help for awhile.

They had a guest house that was actually about 1/4 mile from their house (private) and honestly this worked out perfectly. It was sort of like living on Walden Pond, and very peaceful. I put a bunch of stuff in storage and moved there for several months. I used it as a base of operations so to speak, to determine where I wanted to actually settle down and what career I wanted to do (I had been practicing real estate but all bets are off in real estate if you move to a new area).

I read a lot of books. Frankly, I'd known my marriage was falling apart for a long time so I had already begun really working on myself so as not to make the same mistakes again. I had even been going to counseling (I was the one who filed for divorce). So I really wasn't grieving at ALL. I had seen this coming and had already grieved so I was excited to be beginning a new life. I was ready for adventure!

I lost some weight, got in better shape, and began dating once I wasn't afraid of the idea of getting nekkid in front of someone - LOL.

Girl, I dated every sort of man around - older, younger, fat, skinny, brown, white, rich, poor, blue collar, white collar, you name it. I HAD A BLAST. I really got a great idea of what sort of qualities were important to me, and whether I wanted to remarry or remain single, etc.

I got to know a great bunch of girlfriends and learned a lot about strong women - and became one.

I lived in a townhouse for awhile, and a cabin with a lake in front of it, and decided that I prefer town life over country life. I did some real estate for awhile (part time) and decided that with my new situation, I needed 8-5 work and decided to go into outside sales instead, which worked out well.

I went to the beach over and over again, as well as New Orleans several times. I took my adult kids on a few trips with me and those were great. I met up with folks at various vacation spots and had a lot of fun.

After all that, I decided it was time to get a "real job" and settle down in one spot, and I chose the town I'd lived in for years - but it was interesting because I was seeing it from a whole other perspective. I changed careers, changed circles, changed churches, and got to know a whole new set of people and activities.

And that's when I met my current husband! And he was TOTALLY unlike anyone else I'd dated and certainly unlike my ex husband. In fact, he was someone I would have considered "above my pay grade" in the past, before I knew my own value and strength. But thankfully I was much more confident and sure of who I was and what I wanted when I met him.

We've been married now for going about nine years and it's been a fantastic adventure. We've done things together that I wanted to do my whole life. Besides that, and more importantly, he is truly my best friend and my running buddy as well as the great love of my life. And my kids LOVE him! And we now have seven grandkids "together." It's fantastic.

I'm so glad I expanded my interests, my experiences, my life in general.

I hope you have resounding success yourself, whatever direction you take!

Old 12-31-2014, 02:39 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,627,314 times
Remarkable story, KathrynAragon! Thanks for sharing.

Old 12-31-2014, 04:05 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,294,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
Remarkable story, KathrynAragon! Thanks for sharing.
You're welcome - I hope it helps the OP!

Old 12-31-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:

I got divorced when I was about 40. I had been married since I was twenty.
I hadn't even actually ever dated a real MAN - LOL.
It's helping me in a way. Your situation is similar to mine (in the quote above). When I divorced he told me I would never find a guy who would be interested in me, ever. So your story gives me some hope. Hopefully someday I can prove the now Ex that he's wrong.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:26 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,263,328 times
Quote:
It's helping me in a way. Your situation is similar to mine (in the quote above). When I divorced he told me I would never find a guy who would be interested in me, ever. So your story gives me some hope. Hopefully someday I can prove the now Ex that he's wrong.
They all wish/say that! Don't worry.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:58 AM

Thanks to everyone's support in here. I'm still in the process of reinventing myself (two losses in 2007 after a divorce in 2005) and just starting to see the results, now that I am looking for a new career, new area to live in, new friends etc. So hopefully I can embark on a fantastic adventure quite soon.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:49 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,263,328 times
Quote:
Thanks to everyone's support in here. I'm still in the process of reinventing myself (two losses in 2007 after a divorce in 2005) and just starting to see the results, now that I am looking for a new career, new area to live in, new friends etc. So hopefully I can embark on a fantastic adventure quite soon.
Best of luck to you in this New Year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning