Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 08:42 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times

Advertisements

Mom collapsed a few weeks ago and shes been in hospital ever since, her condition continues to deteriorate, I've talked to her most days on the phone but today she couldnt talk,i called back the nurse who said she has lost total lung function and Mom and Dad have decided its hospice time in other words she's not long for this world.
She's 88 yrs old and had a remarkably happy and fruitful life,up till now she's never been sick a day in her life.
Dad is also 88 yrs old and in failing health,i doubt with Moms passing that he will have the will to continue on,,looks like its going to be a rough year.
The grief has now hit me like a ton of bricks, Mom is about to die
As no one in our family has yet passed away i've never experienced this level of emotion, how the heck do you deal with it?i never knew grief could be so profound

I'm loading my car at the moment for the trip from Montreal to Tampa to see her, i'll probably be in a tearful state the whole way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 10:31 AM

543 posts, read 943,695 times
I am so sorry my dear friend, but rest assured we are all here with you. Sadly death is a package deal that comes with life. Everything needs and gets a closure. She gave birth to you, brought you into this Universe and now she takes leave.

I am not religious but I feel like the moment you loose consciousness on this planet you awaken on another. Perhaps a planet with three brightly lit suns on another galaxy far away. In other words tećhnically we are always experiencing.

She lived to be a glorious 88. Take care my friend.

Rishi

Old 01-11-2015, 11:31 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Mom collapsed a few weeks ago and shes been in hospital ever since, her condition continues to deteriorate, I've talked to her most days on the phone but today she couldnt talk,i called back the nurse who said she has lost total lung function and Mom and Dad have decided its hospice time in other words she's not long for this world.
She's 88 yrs old and had a remarkably happy and fruitful life,up till now she's never been sick a day in her life.
Dad is also 88 yrs old and in failing health,i doubt with Moms passing that he will have the will to continue on,,looks like its going to be a rough year.
The grief has now hit me like a ton of bricks, Mom is about to die
As no one in our family has yet passed away i've never experienced this level of emotion, how the heck do you deal with it?i never knew grief could be so profound

I'm loading my car at the moment for the trip from Montreal to Tampa to see her, i'll probably be in a tearful state the whole way.
I'm so sorry, Jambo, it's a tough situation to be in, knowing your loved ones are very close to death, and knowing there's little you can do except to be with them as much as you can. It's also heartbreaking to know that the life you knew with your parents is about to change into your going on without them.

It's natural, and prefectly ok to express that grief anytime and in any way that helps you even a little bit. I'll never forget my husband sobbing like a baby at the JFK airport in NY when we met his cousin who came to pick us up- his father had died suddenly and unexpectedly two weeks after his mother had died. I know that grief, it lays like a ton of bricks in your throat, and into your chest, it can keep you from eating, sleeping, or carrying out other activities of daily living, but a good support system among your family and friends can be not only moral support, but can help you with getting through the days, too.

This isn't the time, it's way too soon, but you will get through it, and you'll know and be grateful that your mother lived a long, fruitful and happy life, and that when it was her time, she left with the same style and grace with which she lived. You'll find a way to help your dad with his grief, be a source of good support and love, sharing the memories you both have of your mother.

Just be careful on that trip, don't overdo it, or let yourself get over-tired. Are you traveling with someone, or alone? If as you're driving, you can listen to soothing music, or a favorite novel ( or something inspirational) on tape it might help to soothe you some and make that driving easier.

Just know that you and your parents will be in my thoughts and prayers as you go through this difficult time.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:58 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,918 times
I don't think anyone is prepared to lose their Mom. Especially when you have a wonderful one. I remember being amazed and a little irritated that people were going about their normal day after my Mom died. I felt like the world should stop just like it did for me.

I still wake up some mornings and can't believe my Mom is gone. No one loves you like your Mom! I have realized how very lucky I am to have had the mother that I had - she was the best!

Be careful on your trip and cry when you need to. Thinking of you and sending you a big hug.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:53 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I don't think anyone is prepared to lose their Mom. Especially when you have a wonderful one. I remember being amazed and a little irritated that people were going about their normal day after my Mom died. I felt like the world should stop just like it did for me.

I still wake up some mornings and can't believe my Mom is gone. No one loves you like your Mom! I have realized how very lucky I am to have had the mother that I had - she was the best!

Be careful on your trip and cry when you need to. Thinking of you and sending you a big hug.
I did the very same thing the night of the day my mother died too. My then husband took me out to dinner and I sat and watched the people around me, thinking "don't they know the most important person in my life just died?" I got irritated and thought "how DARE they just go about living?" That seems to be a common reaction. I wonder how many times someone has thought that about me just going about daily life.

OP, I am sorry for your impending loss.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:03 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,987,049 times
I know too well the pain of grief. My heart goes out to you. Take care.

303Guy

Old 01-12-2015, 09:48 PM

13 posts, read 15,733 times
It's so sad. :'(

Old 01-12-2015, 10:05 PM

179 posts, read 268,554 times
I took one of those tearful journeys a few years ago. Be careful and I understand what you are going through.

The strangest thing is when I start to send her an email and realize she has been gone a few years. It's a jolt all over again.
Sometimes can't believe she is gone.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:50 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Your dad is going to be devastated by this. He's going to need a lot of help. He won't know what to do with himself.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:52 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
So so so sorry.

Please accept my condolences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning