Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 03:52 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,395,819 times

Advertisements

When my mom passed some of her sisters wanted to air their grievances to me about things she'd said and done in her lifetime. On the phone, the same day of her death. Thinking back now, I find it a little disgraceful to be airing their grievances before the person is even cold in the ground. I knew they didn't always get along well during her life time. My mom was also diagnosed with an emotional disorder and had conflicts with a lot of people quite often. What does anyone here think about airing grievances against a person who has just passed away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 04:00 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,882,789 times
Really low and quite selfish...never should have happened.

Sorry you had to endure this...

Old 02-19-2018, 04:03 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,001,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
What does anyone here think about airing grievances against a person who has just passed away?
It's extremely inconsiderate.

I would have told them to write it all down and then burn it. And I would have hung up the phone if they continued talking after I asked them not to.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:06 PM

130,545 posts, read 12,143,244 times
In very poor taste & a complete lack of class. If it happens again, cut the conversation off or hang up. I am sorry for your loss.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:12 PM

6,127 posts, read 4,616,742 times
It's not appropriate to talk to you about. Especially not on the day you were still probably in shock over your mom's passing, which I agree is distasteful in general and especially disrespectful to you. Even if they didn't particularly get along with your mom, that was not the time to share it. It was the time to offer you some comforting words.

They could have said something like "she was lucky to have you as such a good daughter" (which is evident because you're posting this question out of concern to protect your mom's honor).

I wouldn't let them steal your joy, but just know that they definitely fell short of how they should have behaved, as his been noted by myself and other posters here.

If they have issues to talk about, they need to talk to a therapist. Or an etiquette coach.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:13 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
When my mom passed some of her sisters wanted to air their grievances to me about things she'd said and done in her lifetime. On the phone, the same day of her death. Thinking back now, I find it a little disgraceful to be airing their grievances before the person is even cold in the ground. I knew they didn't always get along well during her life time. My mom was also diagnosed with an emotional disorder and had conflicts with a lot of people quite often. What does anyone here think about airing grievances against a person who has just passed away?
Sounds sick.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:22 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 14 days ago)

35,648 posts, read 18,006,664 times
If the listener agrees with the speaker, then it can be sort of emotionally cathartic.

If you didn't agree with your aunt, and you made that kind of clear, she should have shut her mouth.

But I came out of a funeral for a woman a few years ago who was just a trainwreck. Leaving the church after the funeral, her long suffering husband said something and then said wow. That's the first time I've said something right in 48 years.

So yeah. Sometimes you just gotta let some steam out.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:32 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,133,954 times
the child of the deceased (no matter the age) is not the person to vent at. It's sick, pathetic and selfish. My daughter's friend went thru the same thing. That was 7 yrs ago and none of them have spoken to one another since. Sad.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:32 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,180,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Really low and quite selfish...never should have happened.

Sorry you had to endure this...
I agree. I am so sorry.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:51 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,395,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
the child of the deceased (no matter the age) is not the person to vent at. It's sick, pathetic and selfish. My daughter's friend went thru the same thing. That was 7 yrs ago and none of them have spoken to one another since. Sad.
OK, I guess I just needed some confirmation of that. It wasn't what I wanted to hear the same day that she passed away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning