Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2023, 12:29 AM

84 posts, read 80,680 times

Advertisements

My mother died about three years ago. I still can't bring myself to look at pictures. If I inadvertently see her picture, I avert my gaze. It's not because I don't like her, but rather because I love her so much. Seeing her smiling, loving face causes me so much grief. I also think about her all the time, but not obcessively. I just can't stand the thought of her being gone. Seeing her face just reminds me that she's not here, and I feel like I can't breathe. Not in a panicky way, but it's enough that I avoid pictures as much as possible. This is obviously unhealthy and there is going to be a lot to unpack at some point down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2023, 06:24 AM

7,908 posts, read 3,453,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
One of the odd things I do, I never delete anyone’s phone number out of my phone, because they died. I like to think briefly of them when scrolling through looking for a number to call. ( I will delete or block someone that is alive in a heartbeat)
Ah so I'm not the only one. I even saved a voicemail from one relative who passed. Kept it for a number of years and listened to it every once in a long while. Then I switched phones and it was gone. Probably for the best. Still have the text history of my father. He rarely texted so it's not very long. lol

Old 11-28-2023, 06:48 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,276,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
Ah so I'm not the only one. I even saved a voicemail from one relative who passed. Kept it for a number of years and listened to it every once in a long while. Then I switched phones and it was gone. Probably for the best. Still have the text history of my father. He rarely texted so it's not very long. lol

I was able to save voicemails from both my parents. They are on my computer and I listen to them from time to time.

Cat

Old 11-28-2023, 02:27 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
I have two voicemails from Frank. One is him when he was healthy and I missed the call. The second is him having the nurse press the buttons to call me when he couldn't from the hospital. His illness had stolen his ability to speak clearly, and all I can understand is "I miss you" and "See you tomorrow".

Old 11-28-2023, 04:36 PM

2,157 posts, read 1,441,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have two voicemails from Frank. One is him when he was healthy and I missed the call. The second is him having the nurse press the buttons to call me when he couldn't from the hospital. His illness had stolen his ability to speak clearly, and all I can understand is "I miss you" and "See you tomorrow".
I have a voicemail on an old phone in the garage of my first wife who died in her early 30's. I don't want to hear the voice because it would tear me up. Ditto for the old camcorder from the same timeframe. I'll let our children who are now adults view it all, but I don't suspect I ever will....and if I do, I'll be alone when I do.

Old 12-05-2023, 08:44 PM

7,772 posts, read 6,378,272 times
The opening screen on my desktop is a picture of my late wife by the water in Cabo San Lucas. She has a big smile and the Mexican standing next to her is holding a 3 foot long iguana.

We were married 62 years, and now there is no one to talk to when I am indoors.

Old 12-06-2023, 08:09 PM

734 posts, read 483,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
The opening screen on my desktop is a picture of my late wife by the water in Cabo San Lucas. She has a big smile and the Mexican standing next to her is holding a 3 foot long iguana.

Hi there!

I am sad that you are feeling loneliness without her. My heart aches for you.

I lost my mother 7 months ago. I lived with her. It is very hard. My father has me to talk to you, but he gets very lonely for my mother.

I have to move forward. I have no choice.

I wish you much healing and happiness.

Take good care of yourself.

Old 12-07-2023, 08:04 AM

743 posts, read 875,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post

I do the same with my desktop. I rotate a memorable photo of my late husband. I enjoy my coffee and can see him every day that way. I still have his phone and when I'm really down, I will call it to hear his voice.

I miss him every day and it's been 26 months. We were together for 37 years.

Old 12-07-2023, 12:23 PM

8,480 posts, read 6,880,671 times
Photos of my late wife just about everyday. We were married 52 years ago in SEA when I was in the Marine Corps. She was an outstanding wife and mother.

Old 12-07-2023, 12:57 PM

734 posts, read 483,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Photos of my late wife just about everyday. We were married 52 years ago in SEA when I was in the Marine Corps. She was an outstanding wife and mother.
I'm sure she was. It is unbearably painful to lose someone you deeply love.

My mother died 2 weeks shy of my parents' 53rd wedding anniversary. My Dad is one lost man, but he's managing the best he can. He has me to help him. All we can do is count on time to help us heal.

I wish you all the best in your grief journey. You will heal, little by little. Thinking of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning