Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 07:42 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,230,340 times

Advertisements

Thank you so very much Marcy, I plan to read this book. I need all the help I can find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 09:31 AM

52 posts, read 60,487 times
Default Its just the grief I feel

Its the thinkin g of how terrified my mom was while some guy stabbed her in one eye all the up to his knuckles and then the other eye with a screwdriver then chased her around her apt for 45 minutes trying to break her neck cause he told all his friends one karate kick and he could break a neck. Well my mom proved him to be a liar and finally he got so winded her stabbed her over 27 times and slit her throat and drank her blood and buried her in an empty lot next to her 4plex she lived in. I was so numb and it still numbs me I have to stop thinking about it because i will lose it. I loved her so much and miss her so much never do I ever want to experience anything like this again. It still puts the deep pit feeling and almost panic rage and helplessness I couldn't help her I couldn't protect her it is an awful feeling and now I am a very protective person and am very wary of my child staying anywhere where I don't know the family and we have had barbacues or play dates for several months I look at everyone as suspicous I hate that but I can't help it. All I do know is after I laid in bed for 3 days till I couldn't cry anymore just thinking of how scared and how awful it must of felt to be in terror like that. It ate me for years and I hated everyone didn't care about a lot of uhhh "dating people I didnt know" to after having my kid that will be 12 soon I have only had one boyfriend for those 11 years. I really trusted him known him for years but as well long distance relationships are hard to keep. I do know for a fact if your ever faced with pain like this do something positive with not destructve because eventually when you see a little light at the end of this road you unfortunatley have to live with the financial burden and the "I showed me" (instead of whoever your trying to prove something to) when I mess up though I mess up for good. THE THING I DO KNOW IS READY `````````````````is that time seems to subside those horrible feelings you have and you learn to deal with the death like a lost limb you just adapt to living without it but you don't ever forget. Hateful revenge thinking uh self destruction follows you down the road. You really want to be lifted of everything is FORGIVE not for them but for you to feel the weight off your shoulders ah that was a hard one took me months and months to really feel I did forgive them and I was so happy to be living again. God Bless and good luck. Love JUlie

Old 09-11-2012, 11:24 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,280,042 times
Julie, this is the 2nd time I have read about how your Mom died and the 2nd time I have felt sick to my stomach. My mind can not even begin to fathom what she went through. I am at a loss for words.

God Bless.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:35 AM

Default Thank You tamiznluv

I don't mean to make you feel sick I am sorry. I am just trying to put out there what I went through and how tragidies happen in everyones life just about and it really is your choice on how to deal with them. I didn't and I am blessed God sent me someone to love me until I get to heaven. I got that unconditional love I needed funny I was hoping for a husband but He gave me a child and little by little it got easier then when I forgave I was lifted and free from nightmares and the thoughts of what she felt. I had something that needed dire attention and someone to help them grow. I got lucky I would probably be dead by now if it wasn't for Gods gift. I hated myself my mom God everything then I it was time to take the bull by the reins and get my life back in order...I love it I love God Bless to you too

Old 09-11-2012, 12:31 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,280,042 times
I know you didn't want to make me sick and you needn't say sorry. I just have never heard anything so gruesome IRL. The only murder victims I know were murdered rather "simply", one was shot and one was knifed.

IMO you got the best of your wishes, a little girl. Husband....meeeeh.

I can not imagine the pain you have gone through and I'm so happy to hear you are in "one piece" again. God is wonderful. I'm so glad to hear you do not blame HIM for your mother's murder. Did they ever catch the guy? WTF made him choose your mom? Did you know him? I hope he's in Rikers for life with no parole. (why do I think you live in NYC?)

(((HUGS)))

Old 09-11-2012, 12:45 PM

Default Your so cute

Well that husband thing disappeared it was a thought for a bit but he found someone closer to San Diego. I live in AZ. Hey I got my child and poor thing has to put up with me trying to help her with homework . I tell the teachers they are on their own! Hope they have extra time for her. I didn't know him but if you read my posts you will kinda see I think I have addhd and just want to write when I am tired and not care about spelling. Do I get mother of the year award for that? Not caring about spelling because I am just rattling what is in my mind. Actually there is a book written about her murder it is not completely true but the guy who wrote the book thought he was making a best seller...well nope he didn't. I could never read the book. My mother was Virginia Barsic the book is called Murder at Hogans Corner written by Exum. Its not even half true. I guess I am peggy in the book it was way too graphic for me to read. And yes I have a new friend. Thanks I am happy. Maybe you can show me how to spell check for people like Jack who don't like run on sentences. I don't blame him. That is me I rattle off what I am thinking then I'm done.. oh my gosh thank you Lord I don't have to work tonight. Spell Check anyone????? Help!!!

Last edited by JulieT726; 09-11-2012 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: so Jack will see I trying to make an effort

Old 06-30-2015, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,247 times
Default Re: Virginia Barsic

Hi,

I realize I am entering this conversation about 3 years late, and without reading many of the other posts on this site, but since you mentioned the book Murder at Hogan's Corner, I thought I would just mention that there is a chapter devoted to Virginia in the book Blood Frenzy by Robert Scott.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:15 PM

1,134 posts, read 1,130,132 times
I'm so sorry for your losses and I can't begin to imagine what you're going through. My heart goes out to you. I agree with finding a grief counselor and also grief support groups. Don't expect too much of yourself and allow yourself time to grieve.

I am going to suggest that when you go back to work, try your hardest to be strong at work. People will be sympathetic to you the first day or week, but their world hasn't stopped as yours has. They're co-workers and that's all they are. Don't give them any ammo to use against you.

My best friends sister lost her son two weeks before my son died, within the year both of her parents died, the next year her husband died and 9 months later she died.... My friends immediate family was gone within a 3 year period. I don't know how people do it....

I honestly am so sorry for what you're going through and I wish you much healing on your journey. It'll be difficult for you.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:21 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,131,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagldot View Post
I've had a bad year..... lost my father in June, an aunt in September, and my beloved husband of 27 years passed away 2 weeks ago. I seem to vascillate between grief and numbness. I'm functional, staying busy keeping the household afloat and adjusting. Has anyone found a place on these forums to discuss experiences with grief? I know there is no "normal" for dealing with grief, but wondering how others get through the loss of a spouse?
As people have said, there is no one way to get through grief. But I will tell you some things that are helping or have helped me, both while my husband was sick, and after he died.
1. Find people who will listen compassionately to what you have to say. I have a Stephen Minister from church. I also was assigned a "cancer buddy" from the local Cancer Cares organization. I made contact with friends who had been caregivers and who had lost their husbands. Only someone who has lost a beloved spouse can truely understand what this means.
2 In addition, look for a spousal support group, preferably in your age range. My local Hospice had a group for over 50s and a group for younger widows and widowers. People in our age range (I am in my mid 60s) have a whole different experience of the loss than people in their earlier life. The support group gave me so much perspective. It helped me to see the areas in my husband's illness and death that were so much better than they could have been, that were really blessings in the whole process.
3. Give yourself lots of time. Be patient. Sometimes it feels like you would like to just stop hurting. There can be brief distractions from the pain, after a while ( in the first few months for me, distractions just didn't work - my mind could not leave my husband.) But after a while, you will be able to do a few things that would give my mind a rest. Get back into life at what ever rate you want, but do get back in.
4. An unhealthy way to deal with this is to keep yourself constantly distracted so that you have no time to think, cry, integrate this new reality. So understand that you must go through the grief to come out healthy on the other side. You can sometimes delay it, but everyone must experience the grief eventually. This is painful and terribly hard, but we have to fully experience our grief, our saddness, our loss, our anger, our fears and all of it if we want life to re-emerge. Sometimes, if you have those people to talk to as above, those are the ones who can listen to all those feelings and help you to understand and deal with them.
5. It is not a bad idea to get grief counseling. I know it is not necessary for everyone, but sometimes even a few sessions can be part of the system that brings you back to life.
6. As time goes on, keep an open mind. Understand that life is all different now, and could go in directions you didn't anticipate. You can change things if you want, just go slowly. Give lots of time to bigger decisions, including a "cooling off" time, so that you know that they are right, and not based in emotional crisis.
7. Have faith, whatever that means to you. Try to keep one eye on the concept of hope. It is out there even during the darkest times. You can't always envision it, but have faith that someday, you will be able to believe that life will once again hold joy.

Blessings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning