Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 12:49 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,192,079 times

Advertisements

Glucorious: If I were you, I'd consider a wheelgun (revolver) in .357 Mag/.38 Special (a .357 will shoot .38, but not the other way around). Semiautos are better for those who are really familiaer with guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 01:42 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,620,536 times
I am with Catman on this. Some nice wheel guns available very reasonable and reliable. My father in law carries a Taurus 38 on his CCW. I am planning on replacing my Glock 32 with a 44 special for carry.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:30 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,349,576 times
Taurus makes good wheelguns for less $$ than S&W. My brother has one of their .38 specials in stainless steel and it's as smooth as some of my Smiths.

Look at Gunbroker.com or GunsAmerica.com for new & used prices.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:44 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,932,190 times
This is a lot simpler than you think. AVOID any semi auto and get a double action revolver. You are a novice shooter and any semi-auto is going to get you killed. Far too many have needed them only to stand there and pull the trigger on a semi auto that's on safety. Or the gun fires once and then there is an issue with the feeding and I've even have seen cases where the shooter has dropped the clip out. If you think you are going to think about what you're doing in a confrontation, you're already a victim and need to not have a gun at all. A double action revolver requires no brain function to work, pick it up, pull the trigger, it goes off. No safety to fool with, no clip issues, no fail to fire, like a semi auto can have. You also don't need to kill the perp so a 22 is just fine and may be just the right one for you. Low recoil, cheap to shoot, but a lot of noise and in most cases, the noise is enough to make most twits run. Once you've mastered the art of shooting, then you can move up to something of a larger caliber. But for a beginner, a double action revolver is designed just for you.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:21 AM

8,069 posts, read 12,787,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Well, but isn't this gun expensive as hell? Quickly gogoled it and saw it's about 1000 bucks. If I looked at the right one..

And thanks for the suggestions, everybody. I will check them out. Like I said, it's really just for self defense. If it wasn't, I guess I would be ok with shelling out more money for a pistol, but that's why I don't want to spend too much. I guess you're right that the look dosen't matter, but damn.. some of them are extremely ugly, to say the least! Don't understand at all why they do not come up with better designs - like the Beretta U22.
This particular manufacturer's weapons are expensive due to the lightweight materials they use HOWEVER there are plenty of other manufacturers that have the 1911 at all price points. I also own a Llama brand (I believe they are based in Argentina) that I bought for under 300 dollars. It is a bit heavier than the kimber but it goes "bang" every time I pull the trigger.

I will also second the wheel gun option others have suggested. If you just need a weapon for home self defense (do not plan on carrying) a shotgun might be a better option.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:32 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,685,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Ok, so I don't really know much about guns. But, I decided to purchase one. It's really just for self defense. Nothing else. I really do love the Beretta U22. Very nice design and it looks awesome, AND it's relatively affordable. It comes in different versions and I'm talking about the 4.5 barrel version because that one is 8.8 inches long. But now I was told a 22 might not be the best caliber for self defense. Honestly, I did not even know there was such a big difference in firepower between all those calibers.I went to Academy and looked at some 380. The design just sucks, but I guess that's ok. The only one I really do like in terms of the design is the Beretta anyway. I don't want to spend much money and would like to stay at around 250 Dollars. It just needs to be small ( no more than 8-9 inches long ) and at least a 380. Or would a 22 still do the job? I don't want to kill anybody but someone told me heard of someone shooting 6 times and he still was running around. And if somebody breaks into your house and has possibly a gun himself, I guess that wouldn't help you much. So that didn't do much. Of course, that's just what I was told. Academy has a 9mm on its website for 300, but it's pretty ugly ( I know, doesn't matter that much) and I don't think I need a 9mm. That's too much. Does anybody have some input?
Then don't even think of buying a gun of any type or size.

When you pull down on another person with a gun you'd better be very ready to kill that person or leave the gun alone.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:35 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,349,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Then don't even think of buying a gun of any type or size.

When you pull down on another person with a gun you'd better be very ready to kill that person or leave the gun alone.
Nobody wants to kill anybody, not even if it's an attacking criminal.

The purpose of a self defense gun is to stop the attack. Shooting center mass with an adequate handgun will accomplish that.

Death is merely a possible byproduct for the perp.

Having PTSD about some worthless dead dirtbag is rationally much better than your loved ones grieving over your death.....don't ya think?

And you'll be doing a public service by saving other innocent people future pain.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:55 PM

2,622 posts, read 3,150,883 times
People have used .22 for defense and it is better than nothing. But I would not make it my 1st line of defense.

I have a Smith & Wesson Airweight 442, .38 hammerless revolver, 5 shot. Easy to carry, easy to shoot. Hammerless means it doesn't snag in my clothes & it is double action only. No hammer that can be thumb cocked for single action shooting. I miss that part a bit, when plinking. But for defense, it is much better. Heavy trigger pull is a good safety in itself. This gun has rubber grips to reduce recoil. Excellent for close range. My wife has a .38 Taurus revolver, with hammer, slightly larger than mine. Good gun for home defense, not quite as good for concealed carry, but could be used for that.

Autoloaders are great, but require a lot more practice to safely handle & use. They are more complicated, can be fussy about ammo, some types will jam easily. All have different types of safeties, some have mag release buttons, etc. They do carry more ammo, a good thing. But often, a few shots are all you need to repel an attacker.

Whatever you settle for, please get in regular practice & training.

Last edited by jmellc; 12-11-2011 at 04:09 PM..

Old 12-11-2011, 04:58 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,212,003 times
If you ever pull a gun on somebody you'd better be prepared to kill them. If placed in this situation, I will shoot to kill... not to wound. I hope it never happens, but I am trained, practiced, and prepared.

Gun safety is the first thing anybody should learn - even prior to buying a gun.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:15 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,488,144 times
Ok, thanks for the suggestions. I am not into revolvers at all, though. I guess I can still look at some and check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
If you ever pull a gun on somebody you'd better be prepared to kill them. If placed in this situation, I will shoot to kill... not to wound. I hope it never happens, but I am trained, practiced, and prepared.

Gun safety is the first thing anybody should learn - even prior to buying a gun.
Well, as somebody already said, I think your goal should be to take him down and disable him. I realize you risk killing somebody when you shoot at them, but that would certainly not be my goal. My goal is to stop the attack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting