Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you sell a gun to someone who you didn't think should have one?
Yes, I'm not responsible for what they do with it. 8 19.51%
Yes, I'm not worried about it. 2 4.88%
No, I have a moral obligation to never arm a potential crook. 20 48.78%
No, I don't want the legal liability if it's traced back to me. 11 26.83%
Maybe, If I was desperate enough. 0 0%
Not sure/Never thought about it. 0 0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 02:50 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times

Advertisements

I doubt I'd sell a gun without going through a FFL (at the very least pay them the $25 to do the transfer) even if it's not legally required, and yes, I would reserve the right not to sell the firearm to anyone I didn't like, be that cause of their appearance, political belief or what the had for lunch.

In other words, if I don't like you, you're not buying a gun from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 02:51 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxQ View Post
Anyone legit won't have a problem offering it up! You have a license to carry man? "Sure"!
Depends on your state, in VT and AK it doesn't work so well, we have Constitutional Carry, we don't need permission.

I'd expect the AZ, WY would head in the same direction too now they also have no permitting to carry regs. Or any other place that eliminates carrying regulations.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:02 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
I'm supposing you always trade in your vehicles instead of selling to a private party too.

I trust my gut on selling firearms. If I feel comfortable about them they can buy. Having said that I buy MUCH more than sell.

You can always ask for a bill of sale and a DL too.
It's a whole different animal; cars are registered, titles are signed over, the whole thing is documented by the state. Plus it is not against the law to own a car if you are a convicted felon.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:12 PM

409 posts, read 318,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Depends on your state, in VT and AK it doesn't work so well, we have Constitutional Carry, we don't need permission.

I'd expect the AZ, WY would head in the same direction too now they also have no permitting to carry regs. Or any other place that eliminates carrying regulations.
In MOST States that have a CCW, CHL (whatever yours is called) you have had a Federal background check already performed. You went to your local PD and filled out the paperwork. Your State PD and local PD already cleared you to get a Federal ok. All ten fingerprints are taken already. You are in fact LEGIT and OK TO SELL TO.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
In MOST States that have a CCW, CHL (whatever yours is called)
We don't have one that's necessary, so we don't call it anything.

What I do call it in other states is permission to protect yourself, since you have to ask permission to carry a firearm for self defense.

Quote:
you have had a Federal background check already performed. You went to your local PD and filled out the paperwork. Your State PD and local PD already cleared you to get a Federal ok. All ten fingerprints are taken already. You are in fact LEGIT and OK TO SELL TO.
The last highlighted sentence is not necessarily true, from the date of issue of that permit to the date of purchase of the firearm, a person could have had arrest warrants issued for several crimes, be prohibited under a DV restraining order, or a multitude of other offenses that all invalidate that permit and the buyers ability to possess firearms. All the permit actually tells you is that the holder (if indeed the permit has a photo that allows confirmation that the permit holder is the buyer) at the time that they applied was permitted to own and concealed carry firearms. That's why if the police ask to see your permit, they also call in to check and confirm that the permit is still valid (they can be revoked at any time). An individual selling a firearm doesn't have this ability (if that individual happens to be an off duty LEO, then it's a grey area whether he could legally run that check either). So you don't have the confirmation you think you need by seeing someone's Concealed Weapon (of whatever) License you may think you do.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
We don't have one that's necessary, so we don't call it anything.

What I do call it in other states is permission to protect yourself, since you have to ask permission to carry a firearm for self defense.

The last highlighted sentence is not necessarily true, from the date of issue of that permit to the date of purchase of the firearm, a person could have had arrest warrants issued for several crimes, be prohibited under a DV restraining order, or a multitude of other offenses that all invalidate that permit and the buyers ability to possess firearms. All the permit actually tells you is that the holder (if indeed the permit has a photo that allows confirmation that the permit holder is the buyer) at the time that they applied was permitted to own and concealed carry firearms. That's why if the police ask to see your permit, they also call in to check and confirm that the permit is still valid (they can be revoked at any time). An individual selling a firearm doesn't have this ability (if that individual happens to be an off duty LEO, then it's a grey area whether he could legally run that check either). So you don't have the confirmation you think you need by seeing someone's Concealed Weapon (of whatever) License you may think you do.
A CCL is better than NO CCL. You don't possess it long if you were arrested or revolked either. If a guy is "squirrelly" about showing it to me, or a drivers license...he's NOT buying my gun. Period!

Old 01-23-2012, 03:51 PM

How many folks with CCL's IN HAND buying a firearm have you seen denied, or had a delay when purchacing from a FFL? I haven't seen one yet. All of them had NOTHING.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:04 PM

But...I know guys...I know! You have a common name, right? There must be a mistake! What happened? lol Do you know how long a FBI check takes on me? About three to five minutes. The reason you are walking the aisles at the gun show waiting or had to step out for a smoke at the gun shop is that THEY are trying to decide whether they wan't you to HAVE IT???????????

Old 01-23-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
A CCL is better than NO CCL. You don't possess it long if you were arrested or revolked either. If a guy is "squirrelly" about showing it to me, or a drivers license...he's NOT buying my gun. Period!
And who's to say he would be, if he had a DV restraining order issued against him, he might not even know. I know a guy who only found out he had one taken out against him when he tried to buy a gun through an FFL, he held a Concealed Carry License too. The DV Order was from 1989 in Florida, it still prevented him from buying from an FFL, and invalidated his permit (which should never have been issued in the first place) however as the Permit did not require a NICS check for issuance, it never saw that the owner was prohibited under federal law.

So the guy merrily went about buying guns face to face for years not thinking there was any problem, until he wanted something he could only get from an FFL (in a reasonable time frame). Then "bang" all of a sudden he's looking at dozens of counts of federal crimes of possessing firearms and ammunition when prohibited, the FFL running the check was aware the Permit did not allow skipping of a NICS check.

So that's one other thing you need to be cognizant of, that your State Permit has a NICS check as part of the process (allowing exemption of a NICS check on purchase), not all do.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
And who's to say he would be, if he had a DV restraining order issued against him, he might not even know. I know a guy who only found out he had one taken out against him when he tried to buy a gun through an FFL, he held a Concealed Carry License too. The DV Order was from 1989 in Florida, it still prevented him from buying from an FFL, and invalidated his permit (which should never have been issued in the first place) however as the Permit did not require a NICS check for issuance, it never saw that the owner was prohibited under federal law.

So the guy merrily went about buying guns face to face for years not thinking there was any problem, until he wanted something he could only get from an FFL (in a reasonable time frame). Then "bang" all of a sudden he's looking at dozens of counts of federal crimes of possessing firearms and ammunition when prohibited, the FFL running the check was aware the Permit did not allow skipping of a NICS check.

So that's one other thing you need to be cognizant of, that your State Permit has a NICS check as part of the process (allowing exemption of a NICS check on purchase), not all do.
You have that when you apply for it. You also have a check with each purchase. A FFL only needs a drivers license here. I need more than that...sorry! Here, if you are "picked up" on a charge facing a felony...that permit is void and revolked until you are cleared or are sentenced. If you got busted for armed robbery and made bail...do you think there is a snowball chance in hell you would walk out with that CCL? No way dude!! lol I'm also old enough to remember sales on handguns prior to the FBI background checks. You filled out 1(A) 4473...you also filled out a (B) State handgun form. If you didn't have a license to carry, you couldn't walk with it. It was sent to your local PD and took seven business days to clear. If the FFL didn't hear from the PD in those seven business days...you picked up your handgun. The guy with the CHL walked with it. Crude, but that was way before cell phones and laptops at gun shows. Do you know what? It WORKED most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting