Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 03:12 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
No big surprise, the media in general is known for not fact checking or doing simple research so they at least sound somewhat intelligent. On Saturday morning I was flipping through the news channels wanting to get more info on the incident and I didn't find a single one (even my local news) that I could watch for more than 15 seconds without being disgusted by the flashy catch lines and sensationalism, not to mention the utter cluelessness.
Update...you can listen to the line about '100 round ammunition barrel' here:

First Light: Show Archives

It comes at about 2:15 into the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBC News
One of the guns, and a 100 round ammunition barrel allegedly used by shooting suspect James Holmes, would not have been sold under the old assault weapons ban."
Laughable terminology aside, the statement is not even true. Since 100 round drums manufactured before 1994 were grandfathered under the law, they remained widely available during the 10 years of the ban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 03:37 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu2308 View Post
Because there is no real need for them in my opinion. If you want your hunting rifle or pistol, so be it, I don't care... however I have never heard one good reason that a person needs an assault rifle.

1. Protection? Why can't you protect your home with a pistol or shotgun?
2. Hunting? Anyone that hunts with an assault rifle is missing the point of hunting.
3. ???

The only thing pointless is the actual owning of an assault rifle.

My hunch is people that own assault rifles own them because they like to brag that they own them. To me that is not reason enough to keep them legal.
I have a feeling you still think the bad guy was using an automatic weapon. He was not. I understand it was an AR15 - a semi-automatic rifle. They are indeed used for hunting, plinking, and home protection. Although the ammo caliber is a bit light - meaning, ironically, it's not a good round for taking down human's or larger animals.
Would it make you feel better if the shooter had a Remington model 750 semi-automatic "hunting" rifle?

And again, say this slowly to yourself "ASSAULT RIFLES, USING THE PROPER DEFINITION, ARE ALREADY HEAVILY REGULATED AND WAS NOT USED IN THIS TERRIBLE INCIDENT"

Old 07-23-2012, 04:07 PM

719 posts, read 1,553,844 times
Remember the OKC bombing? James Homes, as a giftted PHD student / scientist, could've done this without a firearm. The weapons he bought didn't make this happen. Only James Homes made this happen.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:34 PM

142 posts, read 164,830 times
One thing that is indisputable, Ammo is going to go through the roof.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:37 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times
^^^^ Figuratively!.....don't scare the wussies, they'll accuse you of threatening to shoot someone above you!

Old 07-24-2012, 06:15 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I have a feeling you still think the bad guy was using an automatic weapon. He was not. I understand it was an AR15 - a semi-automatic rifle.
Yes, and one infamous for jamming (thankfully in this instance).

Old 07-24-2012, 07:48 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Yes, and one infamous for jamming (thankfully in this instance).
Well, it was a beta mag C-mag...

Old 07-24-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Update...you can listen to the line about '100 round ammunition barrel' here:

First Light: Show Archives

It comes at about 2:15 into the show.

Laughable terminology aside, the statement is not even true. Since 100 round drums manufactured before 1994 were grandfathered under the law, they remained widely available during the 10 years of the ban.
This is a pretty dark observation, but Seung-Hui Cho killed 32 people at Virginia Tech with AWB compliant 10 round pistol magazines.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:51 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Well, it was a beta mag C-mag...
History speaks sad volumes about the Armalite design's jamming tendencies, even with OEM magazines. If Holmes had used an AK variant or a Mini-14 there would almost certainly have been more casualties. Thankfully, he didn't do his research well enough before choosing his murder weapon.

Last edited by Bideshi; 07-24-2012 at 08:02 AM..

Old 07-24-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
History speaks sad volumes about the Armalite design jamming tendencies. If Holmes had used an AK variant or a Mini-14 there would almost certainly been more casualties. Thankfully, he didn't do his research well enough before choosing his murder weapon.
I'm just going to say "okay".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting