Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 12:11 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
tasmtairy Think of a hand gun as a revolver, and a semi auto as a pistol. A Glock or a Govt model Colt .45 are semi auto pistols... A Colt Peace maker is a revolver.

Next learn to hold a rifle correctly. which places the weapon across the frount of your body, not pointing it straight out as I see you doing in the brave photo... Not many females are brave enough on line to show any pics where they are in it.

Get your brother to help get you shooting stance set up better.

Looks like he knows his stuff ok t me by the way the gun is set up.

The bi-pod is on correctly and a lot of people mount these backwards.

Also I think the shoulder butt stock as been pulled out too far to suit you.
I would say the butt stalk is the only problem with her stance. Push that in and bring the forward arm closer (more relaxed this way) and she is set. Your point about the weapon across the front of the body is valid, but her stance is not wrong. If you look at the way we are teaching combat marksmanship in the Marines these days, the stance is actually closer to what she is doing. This is because we wear the SAPI plates and want to put our armor squared up against the enemy. This requires modifying the classic standing position but it protects the shooters better from threats in the front.

Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 12:13 PM

36,417 posts, read 16,026,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Well, I just got back from shooting at a pistol range. I did pretty well. My had was still a bit shaky so I did use the board that goes across to prop the gun on. I like the 22 much better than the 45. The 45 kicks back too much and is not a rapid of a shot for me. (That's just no fun!)

I did end up with a very good aim with the gun propped.... Thanks for every ones advice! I hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving!

Pik
Have fun Pik!
We have been limiting our shooting out here because the dog gets so freaked out.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:39 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
It was a really good time, and I can't wait to go again..... Thinking about looking in to some other guns.

I don't know about that .45.... I like how it felt in my hand but man it sent me backwards, lol.

Bfs hands are absolutely HUGE and he has made the handle of the .22 to fit his hand.

Hey Miss Tas!!! Hope your Thanksgiving was a great one!!!! =)

Old 11-24-2012, 05:48 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I would say the butt stalk is the only problem with her stance. Push that in and bring the forward arm closer (more relaxed this way) and she is set. Your point about the weapon across the front of the body is valid, but her stance is not wrong. If you look at the way we are teaching combat marksmanship in the Marines these days, the stance is actually closer to what she is doing. This is because we wear the SAPI plates and want to put our armor squared up against the enemy. This requires modifying the classic standing position but it protects the shooters better from threats in the front.

Just a thought.
Well maybe....... I see that point, but she isn't wearing armor, or at least I don't think so

She isn't advancing on any enemy....... yet........

They way I shoot I align my body so that once I am set in a prone position or any but prone is easier to explain, that my body is at an angle which is natural.

When I close my eyes and have the gun pointed down range, and open my eyes the gun should be on the Bull on my target.

If not, i wiggle around and adjust until it is. Then the only thing I need to do is adjust my breathing....

Of course this takes time and IS only for target practice.

Also in a prone position I cross my arms, being lefty my left hand is holding the rifle's wrist, the gun's fore arm rests on my right elbow, and my right hand will almost touch my left elbow. (Semi Auto)

For bolt I will sand bag the forearm and run the bolt with my right hand never moving my left.

This position would SUCK in War.. The entire right side of my body would be exposed

However with a rifle in a gun fight my way with no armor, would also only expose a narrow side profile of me.

Then I am getting older and so I know my ability to hold a long gun in the manner she is would wear out my fore arm arm... Which ever that would be.

I am not totally lefty and will switch, but my master eye is left. I do tend to shoot handguns right handed but still site mainly with my left master eye, both eyes open.

So far deer don't shoot back and are not the enemy that the Great Nawth Merkan Man Eattin' Pat' Ridge has been

.................................................. .................................................. ......................................

tasmtairy Dad got a site? Got any pictures of his work? I used to make my own knives too, from files and did my own heat treating too.

I might again the way this economy is going. I wasn't trying to be pushy either, I wish more women would spend time shooting.... A lot more...... The way this Govt is going with women on the gunners side the gunners will lose.....

I just figure that if you have a better stance and don't wear your strength out you will have more FUN.

Already Pikantari isn't liking the .45 ACP much, and I am betting because of poor stance.

At one point little Kate says to Ol Mac, Can a small girl shoot that (she was being cute), but didn't weigh 100 pounds, and wanted to try running my Govt model Colt clone (Remington Rand made for WW2)

I said sure and went to set up a few targets of 1 gallon water jugs with a marker dot on each one.

The first few shots I assisted helping her hands hold the gun..... After about 3 shots i asked her if she was ready to deal with the recoil alone, and she said yeah and did ......

She got very good with that gun quickly out to around 65 yards which is more or less the distance point blank aiming works with that type of gun.

Any water jugs that survived intact enough to see the marker dot she was either in it or very close to it.

Her mode was like mine..... One shot at a time...

Old 11-24-2012, 06:04 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
...Pikantari doesn't have a whole lot of strength either, and that doesn't help much with the .45.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:38 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
...Pikantari doesn't have a whole lot of strength either, and that doesn't help much with the .45.
Try learning the Weaver Stance.... But with something lesser than the 45 to start with. This will bring both elbows into your ribs.. Both hands will support the gun too. get someone who knows their stuff to help...
probably not a SO or Husband...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting