Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 08:50 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

It had been years since I had shot any kind of a gun but I shot a couple of different ones a few months ago and it was really fun, exhilarating!

Going to do some more shooting, but this time at a range. The last time it was out in the country... =)

I don't know if I was nervous or if I just have a shaky hand but I could not keep my hand still enough to hit my mark the way I wanted to.

Is there something I can do/use to steady my hand a bit more?

TIA!

Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 09:14 AM

3,974 posts, read 5,167,066 times
What caliber and style of gun are you shooting?

Old 11-08-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
What caliber and style of gun are you shooting?
Thats a good question. One was a .22 and one was a .45.

One a shotgun and the other a hand gun. Others will be thrown in the mix this next time around as well. The hand gun felt better to me although I was able to prop the shot gun on a surface.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:04 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
There are a couple things that cause hand shake, while firing a weapon.

1) Excitement of shooting. The only thing that can help this is to shoot, shoot, shoot.

2) Wrist fatigue. When pointing a gun at a target, a gun puts you in an unatural position for holding weight. Normally, while holding weight, a hand is straight up and down (grip), or it is rolled over so that it is horizontal, like lifting a box. So when you hold a pistol you actually cause slight breakover of the wrist. You and me, do not naturally build those muscles, so you have to build them yourself.

Take a pistol (preferably the same one you are going to shoot) and while watching tv, bring the pistol up to position so you are pointing at a spot (maybe the corner of the tv, a picture on the wall, etc... Hold that position until you start shaking. At first, you may start shaking just a few seconds into holding. The longer you do this, the less shake you are going to have. If you get to the point that you can hold for a couple minutes with no shake, then you can start movement lock. That is, you hold your gun down on your lap. Pick a target on the wall and raise the gun up to shooting position, pointed at the target. What you are wanting to do is bring the wrist into the exact same position each and every time. After a while, when you find yourself bringing into the same position each time, start closing your eyes until the weapon is locked in, and then see if it's pointed at the target. You don't care if it's left or right, so much as it is pointed at the same height, gun is level, barrel is in perfect line with your arm, not twisted left of right.

You will be surprised at how fast your build up wrist muscle and start locking in each and every time.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:12 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
There are a couple things that cause hand shake, while firing a weapon.

1) Excitement of shooting. The only thing that can help this is to shoot, shoot, shoot.

2) Wrist fatigue. When pointing a gun at a target, a gun puts you in an unatural position for holding weight. Normally, while holding weight, a hand is straight up and down (grip), or it is rolled over so that it is horizontal, like lifting a box. So when you hold a pistol you actually cause slight breakover of the wrist. You and me, do not naturally build those muscles, so you have to build them yourself.

Take a pistol (preferably the same one you are going to shoot) and while watching tv, bring the pistol up to position so you are pointing at a spot (maybe the corner of the tv, a picture on the wall, etc... Hold that position until you start shaking. At first, you may start shaking just a few seconds into holding. The longer you do this, the less shake you are going to have. If you get to the point that you can hold for a couple minutes with no shake, then you can start movement lock. That is, you hold your gun down on your lap. Pick a target on the wall and raise the gun up to shooting position, pointed at the target. What you are wanting to do is bring the wrist into the exact same position each and every time. After a while, when you find yourself bringing into the same position each time, start closing your eyes until the weapon is locked in, and then see if it's pointed at the target. You don't care if it's left or right, so much as it is pointed at the same height, gun is level, barrel is in perfect line with your arm, not twisted left of right.

You will be surprised at how fast your build up wrist muscle and start locking in each and every time.
Good advice. One caveat though make sure you don't do it while watching election returns or you may end up needing a new TV. LOL

Old 11-08-2012, 10:29 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
I would try a smaller caliber handgun, stand with your feet apart, your elbows slightly bent, and holding the gun with both hands. I don't think it's really as much about building up arm strength as it is about having a comfortable shooting stance and not being nervous...my 10 year old has itty bitty little arms and wrists and can shoot several magazines worth without ever complaining about tired or shaky arms. I always run out of ammo before she gets tired of shooting.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:43 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
Quote:
Is there something I can do/use to steady my hand a bit more?
Yeah, a bowlers wrist brace works great until you can work your way up to be steady. You're looking for one that supports and isolates the wrist only and doesn't interfere with the fingers. A palm pad that some have is not good. Expect to spend about 20+ bucks for one. Otherwise, holding a 10 lb weight out like it was a pistol will work you up fairly quick. And remember to relax when shooting. Most newbys get hyper when getting ready to set a round off and the nerves causes the shake.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the advice all!!! Never thought I would be so excited to go shooting, but I am! Maybe we can start going to the range more often here at home as opposed to only when we go away.

......hmm...I have a birthday coming up.... Maybe a new gun will be in order!

Old 11-08-2012, 01:12 PM

687 posts, read 1,377,448 times
Squeezing the grip too hard causes your hand to shake also. A death grip is not necessary.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:33 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Thats a good question. One was a .22 and one was a .45.

One a shotgun and the other a hand gun. Others will be thrown in the mix this next time around as well. The hand gun felt better to me although I was able to prop the shot gun on a surface.
To me that looks like 2 hand guns of some sort as .22 and .45 and then some shot gun... for 3 guns right?

Are you keeping some young guy busy cleaning all his guns?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting