Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 07:14 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,325,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I can't believe people are actually entertaining suggestions from the NRA, seems like they left out the gun control part. What was the NRA's plan regarding reducing illegal weapons in the hands of unfit citizens, seems like they had no issue with their behavior over their years. The US already leads the league in guns, adding more guns is not a solution, that has not worked.
In the latter half of the 20th century we've nearly doubled the number of guns in private hands, nearly half the states have become 'shall issue' CCW states, and violent crime rates have gone down.

More guns, less crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 07:35 PM

57,311 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
In the latter half of the 20th century we've nearly doubled the number of guns in private hands, nearly half the states have become 'shall issue' CCW states, and violent crime rates have gone down.

More guns, less crime.
Violent rates have gone down? we have 11,000 murders a year where was the reduction. We have a problem, more so than any civilized country.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:37 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,858 times
Quote:
I can't believe people are actually entertaining suggestions from the NRA, seems like they left out the gun control part. What was the NRA's plan regarding reducing illegal weapons in the hands of unfit citizens, seems like they had no issue with their behavior over their years. The US already leads the league in guns, adding more guns is not a solution, that has not worked.
So then what do you propose, night? Should we keep things the way they are? Something has to change. After putting a bit of thought into this I think the best (and most cost effective) option is arming a few faculty at the school. They will receive compensation for the added skills/responsibility. Or we could go the resource officer route if NCPD wants to take part in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post

More guns, less crime.
Not true. More guns = more firearm assaults and more homicides. Another ass-backwards NRA talking point.

Crime has gone down everywhere. It has nothing to do with more guns. NY, even the worst parts of it, has also seen drastic decreases in crime, and we are the strictest gun law state.
See this> //www.city-data.com/forum/27381496-post63.html

and this http://veracitystew.com/wp-content/u...population.jpg

Funny side note: It seems violent crimes took a nose-dive right around when the AWB became law, then leveled off when it expired...

Last edited by Pequaman; 12-21-2012 at 07:46 PM..

Old 12-21-2012, 08:20 PM

7,938 posts, read 9,160,764 times
Mandatory Federal death penalty to anyone caught committing a crime with a gun.
Allows "good"people to keep their guns and eliminates from society forever those people who feed the fear that causes people to buy guns in the first place.

After a few years, when the crime rate with gun use plummets, people will be less likely to want to purchase guns.

Harsh? Yes. But it will get the job done.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:27 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,148,598 times
Sorry Peques, but there isn't a correlation between the crime rate and AWB.

http://pricetheory.uchicago.edu/levi...yCrime2004.pdf

Berkeley Law - Op-Eds

FBI — Crimes Rates Are Down

http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pd...sc/why/rpt.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Not true. More guns = more firearm assaults and more homicides. Another ass-backwards NRA talking point.

Funny side note: It seems violent crimes took a nose-dive right around when the AWB became law, then leveled off when it expired...

Old 12-21-2012, 09:29 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,989,403 times
If there had been a cop in that school, that kid still could have picked him off right away, it was a surprise attack. If every teacher was armed, the kid would have still done what he did and the outcome would likely been the same with at least a fair number of people dead. In these cases the shooter plans on suicide, the fact the cops were coming had little to do with him killing himself.

Some schools are very large, should there be a mini police force at every large school? One or two cops in a very large high school, a shooter could conceivably kill a number of people before the cops got to the location. Or should they have armed security guards, I have little faith in that idea. If you form little police forces in the large schools, how will that change the atmosphere for students. It's not a prison after all. Not all cops and security guards are hard wired well either, a good number have a bully complex due to the badge and the gun. Just wait till the first kid is shot by an over anxious cop or security guard. Oh, it wasn't a weapon, it was his phone...sorry. I'm not a cop hater, I was a police officer at one time, but I do know how some are.

Looking at the list of school shootings, its amazing how many there have been, with a variety of weapons being used. Quite a few multiple shootings in the 80's, so this is not a few problem at all. Where did these youngsters get the guns they used? I wonder in how many cases the weapon used was the property of the parent? And The Columbine shooting was in 1999. What was done after that happened, obviously not enough. It seems like the outcry is louder now than before.

Arm everyone and the teachers get in service days to practice their fast draw and a designer holster. Seems silly doesn't it. Do we really want to take steps back to the old west where everyone was wearing a gun. Then people would be getting killed trying to prove who was faster, think it wouldn't happen with all the idiots running loose.

I'm sure some people wouldn't like this idea or find fault with it. But I was wondering if regulating ammunition might work. Guns could be purchased from vendors as they are now (though certain weapons would be banned), ammunition would have to be purchased through the local law enforcement agency. One could only purchase so much in a set period of time. A database would be kept on who buys and how much. No online sales of ammo would be legal. The gun owner must have proof of purchase of a secure cabinet with his name listed as the buyer in order to buy ammo. Large fines would be set for not having a secure gun vault of some sort. No new gun would be allowed to be purchased without a secure storage cabinet also being purchased. This is a very difficult problem, I understand people wanting a gun for protection, but there do need to be some changes made. Talk and talk, nothing gets done.

While some people suggest that if everyone had a conceal and carry permit things would be safer. It's a rather scary thought that every idiot and hater would be armed in public. Just how balanced are these C&C people, most are probably ok, but it only takes one. Look at the number of road rage incidents, now everyone has a gun, so whats the first thing they both reach for? And who's to say that someone attempting to take out the movie theater shooter wouldn't have hit people while trying to hit the gunman. These people are not trained as police officers or military personnel are.

Mandatory death penalty? That will never happen. Look how many people we have on death row now sitting there for 15 or 20 years before anything happens to them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...d_States#1980s

Old 12-21-2012, 10:23 PM

11,640 posts, read 12,712,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Mandatory Federal death penalty to anyone caught committing a crime with a gun.
Allows "good"people to keep their guns and eliminates from society forever those people who feed the fear that causes people to buy guns in the first place.

After a few years, when the crime rate with gun use plummets, people will be less likely to want to purchase guns.

Harsh? Yes. But it will get the job done.
That would assume the person caught committing a crime cares if he/shel lives or dies. In domestic violence situations, many just turn the gun on themself.

Putting armed guards in the schools would not have saved the shooter's mother.

If someone is determined to create terror by shooting children, they can just as easily do the same at a day or sleep away camp, day care center, karate school (all those kids in class easily seen through a glass storefront), dance school.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:05 AM

106,707 posts, read 108,913,061 times
'Goodnight

I can't believe people are actually entertaining suggestions from the NRA, seems like they left out the gun control part. What was the NRA's plan regarding reducing illegal weapons in the hands of unfit citizens, seems like they had no issue with their behavior over their years. The US already leads the league in guns, adding more guns is not a solution, that has not worked."

wrong, adding more laws and restrictions has not worked.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:56 AM

106,707 posts, read 108,913,061 times
Quote:
Violent rates have gone down? we have 11,000 murders a year where was the reduction. We have a problem, more so than any civilized country.
we have 300,000000 million guns and 100 million owners. 11,000 murders is nothing statistically especially when most are not legal and even reflected in that 100 million owners. . smoking kills 10 times that . drunk driving is about on par.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:00 AM

5,057 posts, read 3,959,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn
I am still in shock. They blamed everyone but the boogie man. These people just don't know when to shut up. They should have just stayed quiet. LaPierre defiantly blamed violent video games and movies, the media, gun-free zones in school and other factors during the press conference.

You got to love them. they come out guns a blazing.

Originally Posted by Quick Commenter: If all privately owned semiautomatic weapons were banned across the country - and all citizens and residents turned in all their semiautomatic weapons - we might prevent a repeat of the tragedy in Connecticut. Anything short of that will not address the recent tragedy. Is that truly what you want?

Would you like to go further and ban all firearms of every sort?

(Note: I am well aware of needed exceptions for law enforcement and the military and am equally well aware that other firearms, machetes, fires, etc might also approximate the damage done in the recent tragedy. I am not suggesting this is what I want but pose the question to the poster because the 'assault weapons' language is complete nonsense and obscures the issue. As someone who has fired thousands of automatic and semiautomatic rounds (M16A1, M16A2, 9MM, AK-47, M60, SAW, 50 cal, 20 MM (!) 40 MM and some MUCH bigger stuff) I try to see both sides of the debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter
Of course. I am trying to find out what the original poster (nycbrooklyn) actually wants...not poke holes in his/her dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
Look if you can leave Michael Steel speechless you've done something a little crazy. The press conference was a dance and here is our solution deal with it. I will give them credit for standing their ground, however now is not the time.

Before I continue I will state that we now need to arm pretty much everyone in everywhere.
1. So far there have been mas shootings in a movie theater (let's arm all the guards or have volunteers)
2. A congress woman was shot at a super market I believe (let's have armed guards there or volunteers)
3. The VT gunman shot up a campus. If you've been to a major collage you would have to have a staff of thousands just to man such a large campus (Let's have armed guards there or volunteers)

My point is when/where will it stop. Their solution seemed almost like they formed a business that will allow them to offer security plans/setups and profit form it. (notice I say seem) They however pretty much advocated for arming more people. "the only person that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun" If and when this happens some place else will they advocate for armed guards there too? Pretty soon we will all be carrying. Do you really believe this is the answer everyone with a gun able to shoot everyone at every time?

That's my problem with their press conference today. It solved nothing and solved to further push their agenda of more guns.
Again , I ask you , want exactly do YOU want done? You repeated my question, hit us with some sarcasm, ridiculed the NRA, but did not answer it.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 12-22-2012 at 05:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting