Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 05:12 AM

7,926 posts, read 9,150,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
That would assume the person caught committing a crime cares if he/shel lives or dies. In domestic violence situations, many just turn the gun on themself.

Putting armed guards in the schools would not have saved the shooter's mother.

If someone is determined to create terror by shooting children, they can just as easily do the same at a day or sleep away camp, day care center, karate school (all those kids in class easily seen through a glass storefront), dance school.
The CT incident and other incidents are still relatively rare. My plan would help reduce the far higher number of people killed nationwide who are killed during robberies, home invasions etc.

Enforced psychiatric hospitalization is also needed in addition to more regulation on military style weapons.

Stop and frisk must be returned to use to help get illegal hadguns off the street, but remember the outcry over that program which forced its end.

Illegal handguns still cause much more deaths than assault rifles. Strict laws outlawing them have not been effective, as it just preventing law abiding citizens from owning them. I am not sure that laws outlawing assault weapons would be annymore effective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 05:36 AM

106,643 posts, read 108,790,719 times
at this point its like dealing with cancer.

when laws fail to do anything its time to try different more aggressive medication. maybe it will work , maybe it wont but we need to escalate things to protect our selves. we already know the reverse failed. laws and restrictions have done nothing.

decades worth of guns are already in the wrong hands. passing laws has no effect on whats out there and killing us.

so far all the laws did is place that good guy with a gun farther and farther away from where its needed when seconds count.

we have 100 million good guy owners but very few good guy gun carriers because of carry restrictions. with all the gun ownership in america it seems the only one with the guns accessable is the bad guys.

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-22-2012 at 05:55 AM..

Old 12-22-2012, 05:56 AM

629 posts, read 1,700,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Mandatory Federal death penalty to anyone caught committing a crime with a gun.
Allows "good"people to keep their guns and eliminates from society forever those people who feed the fear that causes people to buy guns in the first place.

After a few years, when the crime rate with gun use plummets, people will be less likely to want to purchase guns.

Harsh? Yes. But it will get the job done.
Nice idea - I like it. BUT only if the law is written in a way that mandates the State perform the execution within 180 days of being found guilty - irrespective of the appeals process. This will keep the ***** lawyers from all but nullifying the law by dragging out the appeals process for years/decades.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:52 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,065 times
Blah, blah, blah...end the knee jerk drug prohibition and immediately a large percentage of guns go away and many pot head prison cells open up for real criminals....but that's too easy. Let's keep looking for other "cures." Illegal drug money is directly linked to illegal guns both here and across the border. The govt is so entrenched in it. More innocent kids die on the streets every day than from mass psycho shootings but it's not in my backyard so why care. As usual, politics trump progress or policy. No one shooting each other over beer, whiskey or tobacco sales. They ARE killing for drugs from crack and meth on the street to oxy in the pharmacy to cartels dumping bodies in the desert and bikers leaving bodies on the side of the road. Mental health?! Start with the war on drugs. Give addicts treatment. Put VIOLENT people with ILLEGAL guns in prison and THEN deal with gun culture. If the NRA are such "bill of righters" and "constitutionalists" why are they the 1st ones to back the phony drug war?! Oh, did I mention the economic incentive?! Yeah, who needs win-win-win situations when we can just tax the middle class and put more well paid cops in the schools. THAT will really help make our culture less violently paranoid and scared.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:06 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Yeah, absolutely. Are they still making moonshine in the hills of Arkansas?! Of course not. No black market, no crime. They find something else to do. Or they go legit and sell to our govt who taxes it and controls the sales (like booze, cigarettes and cigars). It's a complete no brainer and denying it is ridiculous. The cartels are effectively neutered the day it becomes legal. If they are politically connected they prosper, if not they die. It's not conjecture, it's history. But...I said the chances were zero point zero of it happening. Too much dirty money on our side.
You've got to get out more. I've worked for the VABC and yes there are still very active stills making shine. They are also dangerous people who will protect their method of income.

Last edited by ClarkStreetKid; 12-22-2012 at 07:24 AM..

Old 12-22-2012, 07:24 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
You've got to get out more. I've worked for the VABC and yes there are still very active stills making shine. They are also dangerous people who will protect their method of income.
Very true. Moonshining for profit has never gone away. Here is a recent article about surging moonshine activity in Oklahoma.

An Impaired Economy and More Moonshining in Southeastern Oklahoma | StateImpact Oklahoma

Anyway, although I agree there are many gun killings per year due to drugs, I doubt ending the drug war would have as big an impact as you think. People shoot each other over many many things, crimes of passion, gangs kill over turf and respect, suicide(which is a large % of our yearly gun deaths), accidents. just to name a few off the top of my head.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Get out more?! You're hysterical. Like that is a big business outside of the most rural podunkville. People grow their own weed too. So what? Has absolutely no bearing on my point and you make no valid argument to refute anything I said. Wow, people make their own wine, mead, brew beer, article in newsday today about people making boilo in pennsylvania. It's LEGAL and has no ties to violence (except the usual alcohol related violence but alcohol is legal for some reason). If you have such a lucrative moonshine trade near you, maybe someone should propose opening one of those newfangled inventions...what's it called....oh, a LIQUOR STORE.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:41 AM

57,264 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
'Goodnight

I can't believe people are actually entertaining suggestions from the NRA, seems like they left out the gun control part. What was the NRA's plan regarding reducing illegal weapons in the hands of unfit citizens, seems like they had no issue with their behavior over their years. The US already leads the league in guns, adding more guns is not a solution, that has not worked."

wrong, adding more laws and restrictions has not worked.
We have never had strict gun laws, they have been filled with loopholes and buyers and manufacturers have found ways to easily go around the laws. Put in place strict regulations before you come to any conclusions.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:44 AM

106,643 posts, read 108,790,719 times
the time for hoping for strict regulation is over. that train left the station. the guns are already in the bad guys hands.

the issue is dealing with whats already in the streets and the hands of the bad guys.

more laws are like locking the barn after the horse ran away.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Very true. Moonshining for profit has never gone away. Here is a recent article about surging moonshine activity in Oklahoma.

An Impaired Economy and More Moonshining in Southeastern Oklahoma | StateImpact Oklahoma

Anyway, although I agree there are many gun killings per year due to drugs, I doubt ending the drug war would have as big an impact as you think. People shoot each other over many many things, crimes of passion, gangs kill over turf and respect, suicide(which is a large % of our yearly gun deaths), accidents. just to name a few off the top of my head.
We're talking making an impact on BIG NUMBERS. Drugs create the need for those big numbers. Where do inner city kids/gangs get money to buy guns? Their allowances? No, drug money. Where do cartels get money for guns?! Duh, drug sales! This whole talk about "legal" ownership is like worrying about a pond flooding while a tsunami is in the background. Millions of illegal guns. Isn't that where to start? Those guns are inextricably linked to the drug trade. That is the place to start. Prohibition failed but your article about OK. moonshine, which of course mentions NOTHING about violence associated with the "trade" (the "trade" being the 1 still they raid per year) is all part of people's right to make their own. Like I said earlier someone in outer Podunkville selling some has no bearing whatsoever on my point...until they start turf wars over it and bring guns into the mix. C'mon, you guys are really reaching for arguments against my point but not saying much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting