Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 07:34 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
How close? If someone burst through your door can you get it in time?

I carry mine in the house.
Yes, it is within arms reach, and I could get it quicker than I could draw while sitting in my chair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 09:32 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,366,407 times
Then all is well.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:44 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,121,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
How close? If someone burst through your door can you get it in time?

I carry mine in the house.
.....FWIW type of info............

Back in 1970 I was traveling through Colorado from Grand Junction to Boulder........the January winter weather turned very bad at about 5 pm, and I decided to stay over night in Glenwood Springs instead of trying to go over Loveland Pass (11996 feet elevation) on old Highway 6-- the Eisenhower Tunnel was not open yet-- the East bound tunnel didn't open until 1979.) I drove into town and got a motel room and then went back west just outside of town to the RED STEER Restaurant & Bar (owned by Tommy Thompson & wife Jean).
I took a seat at the bar, one seat away from another man at the bar -- who turned out to be Elmer Keith!!
(Elmer passed away in 1984 -RIP)

Tommy introduced me to Elmer and being the "gun-nut" that I am, we spent the next two hours eating, drinking and talking guns!! It was my first meeting with Elmer and I really enjoyed it. (again FWIW, Elmer and Tommy were long time friends and the "inventors" of the "KT .338/375", a hellava Wildcat in it's day!) Elmer was 'packin' (as he always did) his S&W Mdl 29 (4") in an ElPaso Leather OWB Holster.

Eleven years later I was driving through Salmon, Idaho (Elmer's home town), on my way to The Bitterroot Valley where I had finally moved to in early 1980 -- after many trips to the area for camping and "land-hunting" in the previous 5 years. (Salmon and my location in the B.R. are approx 100 miles apart, up and over Lost Trail Pass.) I stopped at a pay phone and called Elmer and asked if I could stop by and say hello.....he said "come-on-by"! When he answered the door there he was standing under an "arch-way" just inside his front door ---the arch-way was a pair if African Elephant Tusks -- each about 6 to 7 feet long!!!.....and he was again wearing his Mdl 29 44 Mag as usual. I asked if he always carried,...and he said: "after I hitch up my pants in the morning, the next thing I do is put on my 44"!.....Enough Said

Last edited by Montana Griz; 03-05-2014 at 11:59 PM..

Old 03-09-2014, 12:24 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,442,779 times
Picking up on the "loaded gun" thread;

We have always had a loaded gun in the home. Showed it to the kids, showed them basic gun safety. Wife used a S&W revolver to run away someone trying to breaking when pregnant with our first child. I carry much of the time, just not as safe around here as it used to be.

We are RE appraisers, and I routinely "clear" any Foreclosed home before the wife goes in ( vagrants, disgruntled homeowner still in the home, etc). Called out a cop the other day when we found a home broke into. He knew I was carrying, didn't bat an eye. Nice thing about small-town Texas cops.

As the saying goes, rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:10 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,434 times
I sure miss the old days, (70's) when there was never any discussions about firearms at all. I guess the gun grabbers were still in a haze from all the wild times of the 60's.

Any gun I have for self defense is always loaded with one in the chamber. That's the only way the tool will work properly.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:25 AM

195 posts, read 281,495 times
Jeff Cooper was considered a very influential handgun teacher, and a great writer/speaker. A true warrior from the old school, WW2 Marine, life long advocate of the 1911 .45 Govt Model. Guess what his wife always carried, even for open wear at the ranch in AZ? .38 snub! :-) The time to be "influential" with your wife is while you are still dating her. As in pick one that agrees with you on important points.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:49 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
I'll get guff for this but I don't keep a load in the chamber with my XDM. This is not a high crime area. If I lived in downtown Chicago maybe I would but I live in eastern South Dakota. I realize that the best safety is between your ears but I like the extra measure of safety knowing that the gun won't fire unless I manually chamber a round, being that the gun is single action only. I like the loaded chamber indicator, however the gun is somewhat ugly to me and it's nagging me a bit to maybe change to something else. (vanity, I know)

I liked my Ruger P95DC SA/DA though too... it had both a decocker and manual safety, which is not very common these days. Again not very popular among many gun owners because they don't like the hard DA first shot, but you can always just **** it with the decocker if you don't like it. Gives the option to use the safety or not depending on the situation and it 'feels' safer to me mentally, though yes I know safety is keeping the finger off the trigger, proper holstering, following the rules...

As with any firearm proper training to whatever method you prefer is essential.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:36 PM

338 posts, read 384,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
OK so here is the situation.
We have a 357 magnum for home protection and target shooting. The wife is kind or nervous about a loaded revolver in the house. We have no kids at home so that is not a problem. I tried to explain that an empty gun offers no protection and she is slowly coming around.
Anybody else have to make the argument with their wife? We both go to the range and shoot but she has not taken a CCW and safety course and the only safety training she gets is from me.

BTW We live rural and the chance of a home brake in is low but the gun WILL be loaded I just need to be more convincing with my arguments.

Any tips?
A unloaded weapon is two things.

(A) Collectable/hobby

(B) A expensive paper weight or brick

A "loaded" firearm is a weapon and a hunting/survival tool.

Any questions?

Old 05-11-2014, 10:45 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,149 times
I too am married to a city girl who was never around guns. Before we married I toold her that firearms were a big part of my life and that I owned some, I also told her if that was a problem for her to let me know. Today, she has a CCW permit and has about three guns that she claims ownership of. We visit our local range together and she loves going there to shoot. I have a gun room in the rear of our home that is usually locked all the time, even when we are home. She has the combination and can open that door anytime she wishes. Several of the handguns in that room are loaded, none of the rifles or shotguns are, but we both treat all guns as loaded and check it's condition as soon as we pick it up. She keeps a loaded gun in her dresser drawer along with two others that are not loaded. A loaded shotgun setting in a rack in our utility room and there are usually several guns scattered around my easy chair, presently 5 handguns and an AR Pistol, all loaded. We have no kids living here and if friends are coming with kids, I pickup the handguns around my chair and put them away. A loaded gun sitting on a table or nightstand is not going to do anything except collect dust, there is no danger in that. It is always a human who uses poor judgement that causes the problem when it comes to a gun. If I were the OP, I would make sure my wife has some instruction from a professional, it is surprising what a difference that might make to women. Other people might view my actions and thoughts as paranoid, but I was an LEO in a small town for some time and after that I owned a security company for 31 years. I don't trust people to be who they portray themselves to be...

Old 05-11-2014, 11:05 PM

338 posts, read 384,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
I too am married to a city girl who was never around guns. Before we married I toold her that firearms were a big part of my life and that I owned some, I also told her if that was a problem for her to let me know. Today, she has a CCW permit and has about three guns that she claims ownership of. We visit our local range together and she loves going there to shoot. I have a gun room in the rear of our home that is usually locked all the time, even when we are home. She has the combination and can open that door anytime she wishes. Several of the handguns in that room are loaded, none of the rifles or shotguns are, but we both treat all guns as loaded and check it's condition as soon as we pick it up. She keeps a loaded gun in her dresser drawer along with two others that are not loaded. A loaded shotgun setting in a rack in our utility room and there are usually several guns scattered around my easy chair, presently 5 handguns and an AR Pistol, all loaded. We have no kids living here and if friends are coming with kids, I pickup the handguns around my chair and put them away. A loaded gun sitting on a table or nightstand is not going to do anything except collect dust, there is no danger in that. It is always a human who uses poor judgement that causes the problem when it comes to a gun. If I were the OP, I would make sure my wife has some instruction from a professional, it is surprising what a difference that might make to women. Other people might view my actions and thoughts as paranoid, but I was an LEO in a small town for some time and after that I owned a security company for 31 years. I don't trust people to be who they portray themselves to be...
You have all the more reason to be concerned then. Don't know about you, but it may be 15-20 minutes before somebody can get here. You don't have that long to wait. I always keep at least 3-5 out of the safe and fully loaded. I don't keep my heavy firepower loaded. I figure if it comes to that, the others will keep them at bay until I can get to them and load them. Too much risk of weapons over one thousand dollars walking off.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting