Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 08:27 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,481,187 times

Advertisements

OMG I cringed the first time I saw that video awhile back...there are so many things wrong with it! Obviously no one there knows the four rules of firearm safety... cringe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 11:34 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
That is absolutely the biggest idiot I have ever seen. There is so many things wrong with what he did. He is a perfect example of who should be put on NICS list for "DO NOT ALLOW PURCHASE."
It looked staged to me. I mean, what was she doing with that gun? She was just staring at it in amazement or what?

Old 11-27-2013, 12:47 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
It looked staged to me. I mean, what was she doing with that gun? She was just staring at it in amazement or what?
You are probably right. Any idiot that would leave a gun with a novice to "play" with, and not be right there to instruct, is a complete fool.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:07 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,366,616 times
The story behind that video was that he told his wife don't play with the gun (I think he was cleaning it and it's empty) but she ignored him and proceeded to fool with it so he came up with that prank.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:50 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,884,494 times
The what folks are trying to say. Is a household with no kids a loaded weapon is good. My deal with my wife is it can not be locked and loaded with a 9 mm round (Hollow) at the ready.

So if you are a victim to a break in or a home invasion seconds count. A 357 is a little over kill, but a home defense weapon has to be shooter friendly to all who may use the weapon in a time of a security breach. Most important accessible at the time of the breach!

Old 11-28-2013, 01:19 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
If there is a gun in the house, every adult in the house needs to know the rules of safe gun handling even if they have never fired a gun, and likely never will.

If she was curious, and wanted to learn about guns, this bozo totally derailed that.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:58 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,948,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
OK so here is the situation.
We have a 357 magnum for home protection and target shooting. The wife is kind or nervous about a loaded revolver in the house. We have no kids at home so that is not a problem. I tried to explain that an empty gun offers no protection and she is slowly coming around.
Anybody else have to make the argument with their wife? We both go to the range and shoot but she has not taken a CCW and safety course and the only safety training she gets is from me.

BTW We live rural and the chance of a home brake in is low but the gun WILL be loaded I just need to be more convincing with my arguments.

Any tips?
A gun is a killing machine. That's it's only purpose. Without ammunition it's nothing more than a paperweight. Tell your wife to make a mental note of it's whereabouts and stop thinking about it. What she's experiencing is purely psychological.

On a side note, I would either sell / trade the .357 for a .22 caliber revolver. The reason for this is very simple: Collateral damage. In the panic of the moment, there's a high likelihood that all of the rounds you / your wife were to fire at an intruder wouldn't hit their intended target. Where do these missed rounds go? Well, with a .357 magnum, there's a good chance they're going to go through a wall. What's on the other side of the wall? Your television? You? Your wife? Get it? A .22 doesn't have nearly the same velocity as a .357 round, and nine times out of ten won't penetrate a wall completely. A .22 caliber round is going to have plenty of stopping power for 99.9% of people. You might not kill them instantly, but you can pretty much guarantee their main objective is gonna instantaneously shift from robbing / harming you or your family....to tending to their wound(s). Getting shot is getting shot. They're not gonna know / care that it was "just" a .22 caliber.

Personally, I own a Rohm (German made) .22 caliber revolver for home protection, and I carry a .38 special revolver. The .38 stays unloaded in my home when I'm not carrying, however the .22 is always loaded and stored safely and appropriately, yet easily accessible if need be.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:55 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
A gun is a killing machine. That's it's only purpose. Without ammunition it's nothing more than a paperweight. Tell your wife to make a mental note of it's whereabouts and stop thinking about it. What she's experiencing is purely psychological.

On a side note, I would either sell / trade the .357 for a .22 caliber revolver. The reason for this is very simple: Collateral damage. In the panic of the moment, there's a high likelihood that all of the rounds you / your wife were to fire at an intruder wouldn't hit their intended target. Where do these missed rounds go? Well, with a .357 magnum, there's a good chance they're going to go through a wall. What's on the other side of the wall? Your television? You? Your wife? Get it? A .22 doesn't have nearly the same velocity as a .357 round, and nine times out of ten won't penetrate a wall completely. A .22 caliber round is going to have plenty of stopping power for 99.9% of people. You might not kill them instantly, but you can pretty much guarantee their main objective is gonna instantaneously shift from robbing / harming you or your family....to tending to their wound(s). Getting shot is getting shot. They're not gonna know / care that it was "just" a .22 caliber.

Personally, I own a Rohm (German made) .22 caliber revolver for home protection, and I carry a .38 special revolver. The .38 stays unloaded in my home when I'm not carrying, however the .22 is always loaded and stored safely and appropriately, yet easily accessible if need be.
I'm sorry. Did you bump your head?

Old 11-29-2013, 08:05 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,481,187 times
Saying a guns only purpose is for killing is like saying a rocks only purpose is to stone another with...

Pretty weak sauce IMHO.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:39 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Oh come on, lets be honest. A gun isn't meant to tickle people with, get you to work or build your house.

Every tool has a purpose; a hammer is to hit nails, a chainsaw is for cutting down trees/tree limbs and a gun's purpose is drive a chunk of metal or two into soft tissue at high velocity.

That doesn't mean a gun is inherently evil; it's an inanimate object. But pretending a gun is anything else is to fail to respect the power and danger of the tool if used inappropriately.

I can't say it enough. GUNS ARE NOT TOYS!!! Too many people treat them like toys and/or read the second amendment and figure it's their god-given right to act stupid with them! GET SOME RESPECT AND DECENT FIREARMS PRACTICE/TRAINING OR DON'T GET A GUN!

end rant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting