Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 11:09 AM

107 posts, read 157,265 times

Advertisements

I would like to see (and am sure I will) plays oout in the courts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 12:21 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,513,433 times
Playing devil's advocate... Please keep that in mind.

I recognize that this is encroachment on hallowed ground, that this opens the door for lots and lots of unconstitutional abuses on the part of law enforcement, the potential for naked abuse is enormous and this is just, in general, a huge mess (Edit: I forgot to mention that this is a step towards the world of the movie "Minority Report")... BUT, how are you going to respond to someone that asks "what if Elliot Rodger's parents, when they notified police that they thought their legal-adult son was going to do something really bad, could have arranged for the confiscation of his firearm and/or placed a flag on his NICS profile?" I mean, I fully understand that he could still purchase a firearm in a private transaction or an illegal transaction (maybe... I'm sure that I wouldn't have sold a pistol to that kid) and there are a ton of holes in the thrust of the bill, but how would you reasonably oppose a parent who supports this bill because he or she lost a child to a random act of violence that, apparently, many people saw coming from a mile away but had no legal channels to intervene? I'm asking because I haven't thought of anything reasonable yet and I wonder if someone else has and I think THAT is the important question to answer for yourself and what will enable you to win a meaningful debate.

Here's the text of the bill...
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...01320140AB1014

Last edited by Cleonidas; 10-01-2014 at 12:46 PM..

Old 10-01-2014, 03:50 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,689,672 times
All the more reason to support to local, state and national 2nd ammendment advocacy groups.

The practice of this law is going to be a lot more difficult to achieve than most hoplophobes realize.

It will also push more mentally ill people who own guns to NOT seek treatment.

Old 10-01-2014, 04:13 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,947,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
Playing devil's advocate... Please keep that in mind.

I recognize that this is encroachment on hallowed ground, that this opens the door for lots and lots of unconstitutional abuses on the part of law enforcement, the potential for naked abuse is enormous and this is just, in general, a huge mess (Edit: I forgot to mention that this is a step towards the world of the movie "Minority Report")... BUT, how are you going to respond to someone that asks "what if Elliot Rodger's parents, when they notified police that they thought their legal-adult son was going to do something really bad, could have arranged for the confiscation of his firearm and/or placed a flag on his NICS profile?" I mean, I fully understand that he could still purchase a firearm in a private transaction or an illegal transaction (maybe... I'm sure that I wouldn't have sold a pistol to that kid) and there are a ton of holes in the thrust of the bill, but how would you reasonably oppose a parent who supports this bill because he or she lost a child to a random act of violence that, apparently, many people saw coming from a mile away but had no legal channels to intervene? I'm asking because I haven't thought of anything reasonable yet and I wonder if someone else has and I think THAT is the important question to answer for yourself and what will enable you to win a meaningful debate.

Here's the text of the bill...
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...01320140AB1014
I think it goes this way: once one person can take away the rights of another, not because of what they do but because of what they might do and then only because of what two people think (the judge issuing the order and the person making the complaint) then what stops someone outside your family from deciding what happens to your children because they think they know more or better than you?

Then, in case we all forgot, the killing started with knives, not guns. Was a problem solved or created? If we say neither, then the question is did we create a precedent which is actually intended for the future and not now? If it is for the future without a specific problem, then we've opened the doors to forced medication, forced euthanasia and getting back to those parents; well, little john seems to like little girls a bit too much. Lets castrate him now to prevent his future sex crimes. After all, he won't be 5 years old forever.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:27 PM

23,866 posts, read 24,102,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Very true, a lot of Californian transplants are looking for the freedoms we once had, to get away from the tax the worker to support the illegals mentality , and the just plane nutty politics of the state..
Yep. I moved to Nevada in large part for those reasons. Las Vegas is nearly as bad as Los Angeles, though, and Nevada is slowly becoming East California. We're headed to Texas, hopefully at the end of next year, and definitely by then if the voters pass the "margin tax" initiative next month.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:32 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,326,238 times

Old 10-01-2014, 06:14 PM

107 posts, read 157,265 times
eqttrdr - That makes a very good point & I wish I could rate your post positive a 1000 times!

Old 10-01-2014, 08:01 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,947,411 times
In the ultimate show of intelligence, in CA pellet guns and BB guns will now have to have the ends of their barrels displayed in red or that florescent orange.

They have already caught criminals painting the ends of rifles red.

So then just what purpose does that law serve?

Old 10-02-2014, 01:16 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,892,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Just how much peace of mind will the individual who had their guns taken away have?

No doubt, to get the guns returned, a new background check will be required. I think it unlikely guns taken away will ever be returned.
Isn't there a stipulation that requires the guns be returned within 14 days or something like that?

Not that that makes it better, but the sky isn't falling, the 2A isn't being gutted by this bill, to spite the pro-rights group's best efforts to make it seem that way.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:28 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,892,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
And we wonder why our areas are inundated with California transplants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Very true, a lot of Californian transplants are looking for the freedoms we once had, to get away from the tax the worker to support the illegals mentality , and the just plane nutty politics of the state..
Yeah, but the problem is that when they leave, they take their voting habits and political ideologies with them, which is the very thing that created the mess they are trying to escape to begin with.

That's why when someone from Cali, or from one of the NE states, is complaining about the politics of their area, I don't just say " well move out to the free country"...... No thanks. Just stay put as far as I'm concerned, so that we can keep the disease from spreading. Change starts at home, so work on that, and leave my state alone if you please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
But they created that "paradise" so what happens when they leave and start up that mess in other states?
Bingo

It's happening in Colorado. It used to be a bright red state, now it's purple. Someone said on this thread it's starting to happen in Nevada. It'll just keep spreading East.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting