Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 07:38 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times

Advertisements

I just started this hobby 6+ years ago and was already in my 50’s so I dont have a lifetime of experiences. I do though enjoy range-time; which can be a mix of more serious practice on skills along with pure ammo running plinking. Am I any good? Sure better than some, worse than others. Can i hit a plate at 100 yards with my PC Shield? Heck I cant even see the plate at 100 yards lol. On paper in 6-10 yards? I can be pretty darn good. And occasionally like my golf game i can suck. Those days I blame it on my cruddy grandpa eyes, high winds (indoors btw haha) and a skill set that is still being worked on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 11:14 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,799,670 times
My guns are all awesome....me not so much....
Would I be good enough in a pinch? Hope I never find out. But I do need to practice waaaay more!

Old 09-21-2019, 11:48 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,640,301 times
Slow fire marksmanship, I’m quite good, earned NRA Distinguished Expert award for 4 position smallbore, won Virginia State Championship for my class. I worked for a few years at a range after I retired and discovered that a lot of that carried over to pistol marksmanship, again, slow fire.

The range required us to qualify, similar to a police qualification, by timed fire, drawing from a holster at different distances. This was quite a change for me but I surprised myself after practicing my holster draw at home for several days, and was able to pass the exam. Now, shooting a moving target, I’ve never tried, really have no interest in trying, so I think I would be no better than mediocre at that.

The only bad gun I have is an old souvenir pistol I inherited from my dad. A firearm, to me, should be reliable, period, and that’s what we have.

Last edited by LesLucid; 09-21-2019 at 11:58 AM..

Old 09-21-2019, 03:55 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,796,609 times
TaxPhd, the pistols used most frequently in competition figures are interesting; can you provide any winning percentages for the various brands? I know Sigs are usually more expensive than CZs and Glocks, and wonder if that has any impact on the brands chosen.

Old 09-21-2019, 04:26 PM

10,756 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
TaxPhd, the pistols used most frequently in competition figures are interesting; can you provide any winning percentages for the various brands?
Hmmm. . . I’ll see what I can dig up.

Quote:
I know Sigs are usually more expensive than CZs and Glocks, and wonder if that has any impact on the brands chosen.
In a sport where people regularly shoot $6,000 Open guns, and $5,000 Limited guns, the price of a Factory Sig isn’t at all prohibitive. A newbie may buy a Glock 17 instead, due to the price, but if he stays with the sport and upgrades, the price of a Sig isn’t a deterrent. In fact, Sigs best offering, the 320 X5 Legion, currently runs $899.

Hammer fired Sig pistols (think P226) have three big strikes against them. Trigger quality, light weight, and high bore axis. However, Sig’s striker fired pistols, with the best example being the 320, are much better, and will likely show up more. The 320 X5 Legion is fantastic, and you will see a ton of them in Production, and in Carry Optics (it’s MRDS ready from the factory) and is significantly heavier than previous Sig offerings due to a tungsten infused polymer frame. It probably won’t take over top popularity from the CZ Shadow 2, but it’s much better than previous offerings.

Old 09-21-2019, 05:54 PM

I guess we’ll see how the Sig 320s hold up soon enough as the troops beat them up. I’m fully invested in Sigs at the moment, all hammer, steel or alloy, in all calibers. Really like shooting my CZ 75B and P01 also, but have some difficulty racking the slides due to the lack of gripping surfaces. And I would like to see CZ build a factory in the States before I consider getting rid of the Sigs.

Old 09-22-2019, 04:44 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
I’ve been shooting since age 14. I’m fortunate that the National Forest is a mile away from my house and there is a purpose built shooting spot as you enter the NF. I kill beer cans once a week. I’m a slow shooter, but tend to hit the beer can nearly every time. I’m a firm believer in the well placed shot as opposed to spraying the room to hit your target.

And I like my Glock model 22. Bought on the advice of my friend, who is a retired police chief

Last edited by Mr5150; 09-22-2019 at 05:05 AM..

Old 09-22-2019, 07:16 AM

1,380 posts, read 1,450,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
I guess we’ll see how the Sig 320s hold up soon enough as the troops beat them up. I’m fully invested in Sigs at the moment, all hammer, steel or alloy, in all calibers. Really like shooting my CZ 75B and P01 also, but have some difficulty racking the slides due to the lack of gripping surfaces. And I would like to see CZ build a factory in the States before I consider getting rid of the Sigs.
Love my CZs too. They make me a better shooter, and it's a gun that's very accurate straight out of the box. CZ does have a factory in the States, it's in Kansas and I believe, they are planning on opening another one in Arkansas.
https://arktimes.com/arkansas-blog/2...5-in-six-years

Old 09-22-2019, 05:59 PM

CZ-USA current headquarters in Kansas imports CZ products manufactured in the Czech Republic and Turkey and builds only a line of suppressors in the States. Their new headquarters in Little Rock will apparently build firearms, but their is no definition as yet of what exact products will be produced there or when that production will begin. Phased in production after the completion of the factory in 2020 is all that is mentioned in the linked article.

Old 09-23-2019, 12:53 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,640,301 times
Regarding competition, they’re on the heavy side but at least a few people around here use the CZ Tactical Sport. It has a really nice trigger right out of the box and is a good shooter. It’s certainly worth trying if you’re getting into that sort of thing, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting