Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 11:45 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I’m actually getting fingerprinted today for my gun permit. NJ has a ban on magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. I’m looking at S&W M&P Shield 2.0. If anyone has any handgun suggestions that fit the less than 10 rounds criteria I’m open for suggestions. This would be the first gun I own.
My Glock 19 has 15 round mags, plus 1 in the chamber. You can buy plugged mags that I believe will meet that requirement.

That said, I'm a Glock guy. If limited to 10 rounds or less, I might go with a Glock 43, which holds 6, and an extra mag.

Or, a Glock 37 is a .45 that handles 10 round mags, but G.A.P. rounds...and I'm not sure of the availability in some anti-gun states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 12:52 PM

2,899 posts, read 1,870,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
My Glock 19 has 15 round mags, plus 1 in the chamber. You can buy plugged mags that I believe will meet that requirement.

That said, I'm a Glock guy. If limited to 10 rounds or less, I might go with a Glock 43, which holds 6, and an extra mag.

Or, a Glock 37 is a .45 that handles 10 round mags, but G.A.P. rounds...and I'm not sure of the availability in some anti-gun states.
Since I live in the people's republic of NY, I also live under restrictions. You absolutely can get factory Glock 19s with factory made 10 round mags. It's the only way they can be sold to us pesants in NY.

What is gaining popularity is the G48. It's basically a slimer g19 that holds 10 rounds. It has a longer grip and barrel than a g43, but it's slimmer than a g19.

For people in restricted states it's a good option.

Old 04-09-2020, 01:02 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Since I live in the people's republic of NY, I also live under restrictions. You absolutely can get factory Glock 19s with factory made 10 round mags. It's the only way they can be sold to us pesants in NY.

What is gaining popularity is the G48. It's basically a slimer g19 that holds 10 rounds. It has a longer grip and barrel than a g43, but it's slimmer than a g19.

For people in restricted states it's a good option.
There are a number of other brands of guns as well that hold more than 10 rounds that come with 10 round magazines to comply with magazine restrictions. Hopefully the state won't ban those as well. I'm so glad that I'm outta' there and it's not just about guns.

Old 04-09-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I’m actually getting fingerprinted today for my gun permit. NJ has a ban on magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. I’m looking at S&W M&P Shield 2.0. If anyone has any handgun suggestions that fit the less than 10 rounds criteria I’m open for suggestions. This would be the first gun I own.
2 things.

First congrats!

I'm in NY and I'm sure you had to jump through many of the same hoops I did.

Second, now choosing your first gun. Here is my own personal experience. I never grew up around pistols and in NY you can't even touch one unless you get a license first. So you go through the process without having a clue.

Anyway I got an unrestricted license so I can carry all over and I wanted to carry. Not knowing any better I prioritized getting an easily concealable subcompact first. I was worried about printing and getting hassled. So I went with a Walther PPS. It's a great gun that I really like. But it's also I found out a terrible first pistol. It's small and snappy to learn on. You may develop bad habits like recoil anticipation or pushing shots. Looking back I wish I would have started with a larger gun somewhere like a Glock 19 size. I also learned that conceal carrying is way easier than I thought it would be and I had it built up in my head To be way harder than it is. Concealing a gun is actually super easy. I now know I can conceal bigger guns with ease than I ever thought.

So from my personal experience don't start with a single stack subcompact. Get something larger like a compact size the G19 or G48 are right in that niche of super easy to carry but big enough to easily shoot and train with.

Old 04-09-2020, 01:47 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,655,253 times
If you have already developed those bad habits, or flinching,
you might try a 357 revolver, with cowboy loads.
https://choiceammunition.com/product...0-hand-loaded/

Mix them with some snap caps (non firing round) to help extinguish the response,
then another couple boxes to get used to not flinching.
Always, always wear good ear protection, as the report is part of what causes the flinch.

Old 04-09-2020, 03:12 PM

4,031 posts, read 3,640,995 times
I have not applied for a permit to carry, as I heard those are nearly impossible to get. This gun would not leave my house except to take to the shooting range. With that in mind, I would be ok with a gun slightly bigger than a Glock 19 (since I don’t have to worry about concealing) if it’s going to be easier to shoot more accurately. I guess my next question, do they make Glock 17’s or M&P with 10 round or less magazines?

Old 04-09-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I have not applied for a permit to carry, as I heard those are nearly impossible to get. This gun would not leave my house except to take to the shooting range. With that in mind, I would be ok with a gun slightly bigger than a Glock 19 (since I don’t have to worry about concealing) if it’s going to be easier to shoot more accurately. I guess my next question, do they make Glock 17’s or M&P with 10 round or less magazines?
Yes. Almost any gun out there comes in 2 versions, the "regular" sized magazine, and "10 round". All sorts of full size pistols come in factory 10 round configuration legal in states like NY and NJ.

Look into guns like the Glock G19,G45, G17, the CZP10 series, the sig p320 series, Beretta APX series, M&P series, HK VP9, the FN 509 etc

There's nothing wrong with hammer fired guns. In fact they are very popular with competition shooters. But I recommend striker fired to new owners. IMO they are easier to learn and become confident with.

There are so many good choices available. If possible test shoot some to compare.

Old 04-10-2020, 07:27 AM

20,343 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Sorry you don't live in a free state. But look into the Sig Sauer P365 if you are going to carry - 9mm microcompact and 10 (+1 in the chamber) capacity.
No way a private citizen of NJ is going to get a carry permit.

Old 04-10-2020, 09:32 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times
Quote:
Not unless you're rich and famous or politically well connected. Guns for me but not for thee.

Old 04-11-2020, 04:47 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Very sad to see how some American citizens are regarded as subjects by their state overlords. It really is.

Anyway, best wishes and good luck to getting your permit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting